Author Topic: how do you use sponsored magic for fist to fist combat  (Read 2209 times)

The Werewolf

how do you use sponsored magic for fist to fist combat
« on: November 09, 2010, 02:39:22 AM »
i gained a sponsor for my character but i can't use debt because i am a close combat character not a magic user, so how can i twist sponsored magic to allow that?

Tbora

Re: how do you use sponsored magic for fist to fist combat
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:40:45 AM »
What is the sponsored magic?

Summer, Winter, Soulfire, etc?

The Werewolf

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:42:33 AM »
a custom, a werewolf god (Lochypso)

Tbora

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:46:50 AM »
so like tracking and hunting, wildness, predator+prey, sort of things?

In that case I'd say you could do divination magic for tracking thaumaturgy at evocation speeds, "consume the strength of my prey" type thaumaturgy at evocation speeds, that for a fate point on a creature you are hunting you may fulfill its catch.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:30 AM »
I would like to help, but I have no idea what your problem is. Could you please explain what it is you want?

The Werewolf

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:49:30 AM »
i got a sponsor for sponsored magic but i don't use magic, my character is a close combat type and tbora has it close. i also want to tie in weapon,bow, and fist attacks in the magic, tbora

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:54:18 AM »
Well it is kind of hard to have sponsored magic with out the ability to really use magic.

From the sound it was more like the entity gave you Items of Power and in return for those items you traded your allegiance or at least services.  Items of Power can give you access to abilities you might not have had the ability to get at before and mechanically are nice because you can qualify for a discount. Maybe you get a bow and skinning knife set that might grant you Supernatural Senses and Inhuman Speed.
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:56:23 AM »
Sounds like you need an entirely new power, not just an application of sponsored magic. A [-1] power that lets you take sponsor debt to fuel invocations related to combat skills would probably work.

The Werewolf

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 02:57:42 AM »
yes! took the words out of my mouth

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 03:01:44 AM »
My suggestion would be one of two things:

1)  Instead of taking the Sponsored Magic power -- which is spellcasting, pure and simple -- use the fact that you're sponsored as a valid excuse to buy other powers.  For example, Echoes of the Beast would be a good start, as would Inhuman Strength.  Take those refresh you were going to spend on Sponsored Magic and spend them on powers like that (and on Marked By Power) instead.
2)  As an alternative, make use of the "Temporary Powers" sidebar on YS92.  Give yourself Marked By Power, then spend Fate to give yourself suitable powers temporarily.  This will start costing a lot of Fate, I think -- but it's probably fair to allow you to use the Debt rules to pay for these temporary powers.  I think the -1 for the Marked By Power is enough to cover this "advantage".  At worst, you might charge for an additional -1 power to 'establish a credit limit', but I think that would be overkill unless it carried other benefits.

PS: Damn all you fast posters!

The Werewolf

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 03:05:09 AM »
interesting, but i need a power that allows me to use debt for fist to fist combat that my gm will accept

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 03:10:18 AM »
interesting, but i need a power that allows me to use debt for fist to fist combat that my gm will accept
Being able to take a debt in exchange for sprouting claws doesn't qualify as aiding your fist combat?  Sheesh, tough audience...  :p

The Werewolf

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:06 AM »
okay i have all supers, claws, echoes, catch, pack in.;marked by power, i even have fighting techn. from the sponsor

Tbora

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 03:22:21 AM »
Well you can take two sponsor debt to boost one of those supernatural powers to mythic for scene, then.

The Werewolf

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 03:30:30 AM »
yes, but can it up the weapon valve or the hit?