Author Topic: Wheel of Time DFRPG conversion  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Wheel of Time DFRPG conversion
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
Here I will be gathering up my conversions of Wheel of Time monsters, items and other character resources over time. I'll start with the One Power, then move on to various Shadowspawn and Ter'Angreal (items of power).

THE ONE POWER
The One Power works like Evocation. It is unaffected by thresholds and does not hex, and channelers can fuel it either with mental or with physical stress. It is easier to cover large areas with the One Power; pay 1 shift for 1 zone or 2 shifts per 1 zone range; powerful channelers can create very large effects. Channelers however do not have enchanted items, potions and foci. They can take specializations normally and they can spend refinements in either specialization or special talents (see below). Each Talent costs 2 specialization points to buy. Channelers are not limited by Lore in their specialization but Lore limits the number of special talents they can take. In addition, channelers can create a number of different effects equal to twice their Lore. Unlike Rotes, the parameters of these self-discovered weaves can be altered. However, these are the only weaves the channeler knows, unless taught. Lawbreaker applies normally to the One Power. However, there is no way to transform another - the One Power has no such ability -, the 6th Law applies to the use of Balefire and other attempts to cause paradox, and the 5th and 7th Laws apply to dealings with the Dark One and uses of the True Power.

[-6] Channeler of the One Power
You get Evocation fueled by both mental and physical stress. You get 6 specializations, if male, and 2 specializations plus linking if female.
Linking: Female channelers have the talent to combine forces. Forming a circle takes 1 exchange per channeler after the first and cannot be broken unless the leader releases. The leader uses her own strength and control when channeling but can also use the power of others; she can force them to channel and add to her own weaving. Other channelers in the weave add their effective discipline or conviction to the amount of power of the weave - whichever is less. They do not add anything to the control roll but the power they add is considered controled.

Overchannel: You can channel more of the One Power than you normally could in exchange for long-term consequences. This talent allows you to take hits to fuel channeling by upgrading your consequences. I.e. if you have a mild mental consequence already, you could upgrade it to moderate, severe or even extreme and take the difference to fuel your channeling. The consequence stays in the same slot but its recovery time and severity increase. Filling all your consequences as Extremes burns you out and you lose the ability to channel altogether.
Maintain Weave: With this talent, you can hold weaves, not letting them rapidly evaporate. For each weave you hold, take -1 to your power and control but said weave's duration does not run out while you hold it.
Tie-off Weave: With this talent, you can tie your weaves and no longer need to maintain them; tying a weave takes an exchange but tied weaves have durations like thaumaturgy, not like evocation. In addition, you can now do Wardings as evocation.
Multiweave: With this talent, you can perform multiple weaves of smaller power instead of a single one when needing to affect multiple targets. Split only your shifts of Power when hitting multiple targets. In addition, you may use those shifts in completely separate effects instead of one effect.
Healing: With this talent, you have access to biomancy as evocation. Without this talent, healing is possible but its effects very limited; you can only know one neuromancy weave.
Compulsion: With this talent, you have access to neuromancy as evocation. It doesn't actually have to be used for compulsion. Without this talent, compulsion is possible but its effects very limited; you can only know one mind-affecting weave.
Cloud-Dancing: With this talent, you have full access to weather-controlling weaves. Weather effects are conjured. Without it, you can still change the weather but there is always a backlash of sorts; a weather effect equally strong to what you conjured but always chaotic happens as fallout after your conjured weather ends.
Earthspinning: With this talent, you have full access to earth and metal shaping weaves. Those are considered conjuration and transformation at the speed of evocation except that a) the material is real and has to come from somewhere and b) the changes are permanent. Without this, you can only do basic attacks, maneuers and blocks with Earth.
Read Ter'Angreal: This talent allows you to read Ter'Angreal, using your total Control to learn their properties instead of your Lore. In addition, you can use weaves to modify their properties - but this is a dangerous proposition.
Craft Ter'Angreal: This talent allows you to craft Ter'Angreal. Craft Ter'Angreal in the way you would do a thaumaturgy ritual. However, you must add enough additional shifts to make the effect permanent. +0 if the Ter'Angreal works only when a flow equal to its base power is channeled into it and held. +50% in total shifts if the weave can be tied-off (standing flow) - but the item must then be immobile. +100% if the item works without weaves, but in this case the item must be immobile and has specific and very weird triggers. Ter'Angreal that work without weaves and are mobile, plus all Angreal and Sa'Angreal (items that act as Foci) are Items of Power instead.
Traveling: This talent allows access to Transportation and Worldwalking. The most well-known is the Gateway for traveling but there are others, such as Skimming, Gateways into the world of dreams, Deathgates, traveling to irregularities in the pattern, activation of portal stones, traveling into reflections of the Wheel and so on.

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel of Time DFRPG conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
Oh, nice.  I had a friend that had contemplated converting WoT to the fate system.  But we never really went anywhere with the idea.  I'll point him here.  Maybe I'll get to try your conversion out.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:22:37 PM »
Awesome work, this looks like it would be fun to fool around with. I would recommend you copy and paste this into the custom powers thread found in the DFRPG Resources section.

Offline stocke2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:19:13 AM »
this a conversion i had been thinking about as well, especially with towers of midnight out recently. I would however change the standard stress boxes to 5 like normal fate games, i don't think that WOT should be quite as crunchy as dresden WOT characters don't get beat to a pulp quite as easily and often as dresden

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
Just remember you'll need a rule that states that male characters always lose social conflicts with female characters. Even if they think they've won...

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »
I thought males were just as capable of linking as females are, but you can't create a circle greater than thirteen people without members of both sexes. I could be wrong though it's been years since I've read the series.

You might also want to allow people to take refinements to have Angreal or Ter'Angreal but I would think only one per refinement.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
I thought males were just as capable of linking as females are, but you can't create a circle greater than thirteen people without members of both sexes. I could be wrong though it's been years since I've read the series.

I can understand why you've mis-remembered. Males are unable to link. It takes a female channeller to initiate a link. Up to 13 women can link at any one time without a male channeller present. If the number in the link rises above 13 it requires a male channeller to take control. Generally male channellers are individually stronger than female channellers. Females generally have more affinity for air and water, males for earth and fire, both sexes have similar affinity for spirit.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
Actually, you might want to consider taking a slightly different tack to represent One Power castings and base the system more on a mixture of Evocation and Thaumaturgy than simply pure Evocation.  I'd use complexity for the spells, and actually increase the complexity of most spells.  Casting would be split over several exchanges, like Thaumaturgy, but the exchanges would be fast, evocation-scale exchanges -- basically your roll would determine how many shifts worth of complexity you build up that turn, with greater Discipline reducing total casting time by getting you to the finish line faster.  Offensive spells would require an additional targeting roll immediately after the spell was completed.  So generally, castings would take longer than DF-style evocation, but would be capable of stronger effects.  Many more powerful spells would require 'threads' from multiple elements, each of which would be cast as a seperate 'mini-spell'.

Other suggestions:

* I'd make some of those specializations mechanics rather than add-ons.  Overchanneling would be the most obvious example of something every channeler *could* do ... but tends to avoid
* "Simplify" the specialization concept by making them additional powers (requiring Channeling to make use of)
* Bump the cost of Channeling down to -3 or even -2 (for one element), but don't include add-ons in this cost
* Have a variable cost for elements based on gender and your already-known elements (for example, fire is easier to learn for men, and harder to learn for anyone who is specialized in water).  Perhaps refinement gives two bonuses toward 'favored' elements OR one bonus toward 'non-favored' elements.

Just some quick thoughts.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:20:07 AM »
Something just occurred to me when I remembered my attempt to run wheel of time in a different system years ago. Any thoughts on how you'd do shielding/severing? That seems to be the tough part to work out in most systems.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:28:47 AM »
Something just occurred to me when I remembered my attempt to run wheel of time in a different system years ago. Any thoughts on how you'd do shielding/severing? That seems to be the tough part to work out in most systems.
Block against spellcasting?

Offline stocke2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:34:23 AM »
prolly block yes, unless tied off then is a check to feel out the knot and a set difficulty to attach the knot and unravel it

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:02:01 AM »
Wow, that makes a lot of sense. I have no idea why that didn't immediately come to me. I must be tired.

Offline stocke2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:54 AM »
maybe have the difficulty to unravel  a weave, for anyone other than the one who tied it, be affected by how many shifts you get when tying it, so say base diif 2 or 3 to tie the weave, if you get 5 shifts then diff 8 or something like that, or could even double that, and you could tag aspects while tying the weave to make it purposely harder to unravel, then unraveling would not be a one shot trick, but an extended roll taking some time, the way it does in the books

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
A few things to consider;

1) Channelers of the One Power have a definite power limit. They can't concentrate to build up said power or do rituals - the only way to increase power is overchanneling, linking and using angreal. In addition, while someone might need to hold a weave for some time for it to work, in most cases the weaves form almost instantly even when the channeler uses their full power. Hence, I went with evocation instead of thaumaturgy, and had several other talents added as thaumaturgy with evocation rules.

2) Channelers are significantly stronger than Dresden Files wizards. That is why I gave them essentially double evocation (physical and mental). That's what the cost of 6 is.

3) While men and women tend to specialize in different elements, there are those that do not follow the trend. It makes no sense from a balance standpoint (mechanically) to give the elements variable costs. The limitation is already covered after all; evocation starts with three elements. That means two elements plus spirit - the other elements would be costlier for any channeler because they'd have to buy them first.

4) Multi-element weaves should be done at the power of the channeler's strongest element. We see no real difference in the books in said weaves - only in weaves specific to some element.

Offline stocke2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
i wouldn't put them in a dresden files game, they would be the only magic in the setting so campaign with dfrpg caster power is moot anyway, i don't think the cost should necessarily be too terribly high.

I would think that you are going to have o have a high concept of either ashaman or sister basically something that says your a channeler, that will in fact be a BIG compulsion aspect really big. sisters are distrusted and must follow some rules as well as bow to any who are more powerful than themselves, and ashamen are feared because they are men who can channel and are regimented as well.