Author Topic: So I have a bit of an idea for a campaign...  (Read 3547 times)

Tbora

So I have a bit of an idea for a campaign...
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
I got my inspiration from Eric Flint's masterpiece 1632 where an entire town from the year 2000 in West Virginia and the surrounding area is transported back into the year 1632 in the middle of Germany by forces unknown to them and they are try to kick off the American revolution 150 years ahead of schedule.

So here is the campaign idea, a powerful Chronomancer in his bid to destroy the White Council transports the Senior Council back in time to the year 3000 BC in an undetermined location (the players would decide it). The power structure of the world is way different of coarse.

The White God has not even been thought of yet (In the sense of the Abrahamic God) thus he has no belief and holds no real sway in the world. Its pantheons such as the Sumerian, Egyptian, and Babylonian who are the real Divine Powers because at this time they are by no means Dormant. Odin and the Aesir are not even a twinkle in Norse Peoples eye yet.

The Red King has only recently left the Nevernever and has just begun to get a foothold into the world.

Ferrovax and his kin are still larger then life and much more numerous.

One of the few things that remain the same are the Courts of Faerie are still around if slightly less potent due to much having passed to trick mortals with their bargains.

Magic is stronger - The belief in magic is much more real then it was in modern times, thus its far more potent and easy to use then it was in the year 2000.

Of coarse these are only a number of changes among many....

Thoughts/ideas?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:12:10 AM by Tbora »

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: So I have a bit of an idea for a campaign...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »
I'm a huge fan of 1632, and that campaign sounds awesome.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 01:09:20 AM »
Certainly an interesting idea.  Just as a minor point, the year 2000BC was only just before Abraham's life (he was thought to be born 1976 BC, according to the information I found), and belief in the God of Abraham predated him by quite a good many years.  For example, Noah was getting weather tips from God about a thousand years before that time, and I'd consider The Flood to constitute 'real sway' in the world.  :)

Tbora

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:18:05 AM »
If you follow the Christian version of events yes, but as those were written approximately 2000 years after this game takes place I have trouble giving them much stock, especially when you look at all the other various myths taking place at this time with other religions.The first notions of the Abrahamic God I place per my world history class at about 1500ish years after this game takes place, before that, the idea really was not popular, in favor of many pantheons for religions.

Tbora

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 10:23:17 PM »
I'd consider running this game - does anyone up for it?

Offline Ryan_Singer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »
Interesting concept. A few things:

1. Would you allow a PC to have taken any modern tech back? Is craftsmanship good enough to make guns/body armor/ etc?

2. The True Faith powers in the book seem to only really make sense from the Christian / Jewish / Muslim perspective. I'd expect supernatural faith-based power in this game to more closely resemble Thaumaturgy.

3. The Black Court would be much more powerful than in the modern time. That would mean, among other things, that it'd be a good idea to sketch out the black court politically and stat the Black King.

Tbora

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »
1) Well keep in mind the PC's are the Senior Council, master wizards each (approximately all around mid 30 refresh and a ridiculous number of skill points) so while with good craftsmanship you could certainly do it, it would probably be easier via Thaumaturgic Transformation/Disruption.

2) I'd say that is about right, but I would probably do it in the sense of Sponsored Magic instead of simple thaumaturgy where you can call upon your God to get an effect and he might just listen and help you out. Such help would be paid for in standard sacrifices of meat or gold upon an alter for thaumaturgic effects, and the promises of such and Sponsor Debt for more evocative effects.I'd probably charge as like a -6ish power (as your basically getting both evocation and thaumaturgy in one rolled up thing with the element of Divine)

3) Your right it would, of coarse back then would they even be organized into a court or more a small "tribe" of them with the Black King as the head?

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
As far as the Blacks, I think they were ranked less as a kingdom and more as a Council. They had Elders and Masters, not Lords, Ladies, Dukes, Marchionesses, etc. It was probably based on power as well.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Tbora

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 11:06:36 PM »
Thats a very good point Mij - something to keep in mind when stating the Blacks out.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 11:20:47 PM »
Problem is, the Elders are pretty much Plot-Device Powerful, when able to use their powers at least. 30 of them could take Mab in a fight. Killing one of those would take a lot of planning and fighting to get at it during the day, when it is weakest. Still a royal pain too.

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Tbora

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »
That was because they were so old and experienced - this is 5000 years before then they are nowhere near so old and in turn not so powerful.

I imagine the Black Court while more numerous is significantly less potent then that in the year 3000 BC.

I'd call their leaders the equivelent of some of the mid upper fae each around late 20's refresh, not weak, but their power laying in numbers.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
I always got the impression that the Black Court had its origins somewhere in Europe.  At 3000 BC, most of Europe was either neolithic or very early bronze age, with rather small populations.  I think that in order to keep a sustainable feeding population, the Blampires would have to severely limit their numbers.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 11:53:02 PM »
Well, Blood Rites has Harry say the Blacks have been around since the dawn of humanity. I'd say that is pre-European.

Offline Jinn Master

• Conversationalist
  • Sanity Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »
I would love to be in this campaign- it would be pretty fun and epic.
The whole "getting back home" thing would be made much more interesting by the fact that civilization doesn't even really exist yet. Unless we wanted to say Atlantis does.

3000 BC was the time of the first pharaoh of  Egypt, when Sumerians first began metalworking and founded their first cities. The Minoan civilization was just beginning to emerge, and Stonehenge was under construction in its first incarnation- made of wood.

I can see some very interesting choices in the campaign- the Gatekeeper's job is null, the Blackstaff will need to teach the rest black sorcery for survival, and the laws of magic will be absolutely worthless in a world where the supernatural is barely defended against by people who are just beginning to realize "strength in numbers" as a virtue.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:34:49 AM by Jinn Master »
Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods...
-The Lay of Horatius

Tbora

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 12:38:13 AM »
What time period would be before the abrahamic god got their start, but when their are still empires/cities/etc?

Because I still want things to be primitive, but not to the point nothing really is "up" in the world, as given the skills of the Senior Council so far back would actually not have a hard time establishing themselves as a major power, and confrontation is definitely going to be needed.