Author Topic: Summer Knight questions...  (Read 5170 times)

Offline aardvark

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Knight questions...
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »
as i understand it: if you have a deal or agreement with the queens, they can force you to do anything as they have power over you
(click to show/hide)
, and this deal does not have to be about the knight's mantle.
Not just deal or agreement give Mab this power it`s
(click to show/hide)
. Check YS274 "Oaths, Bonds and Bargains".

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »
I hate to throw this into the mix but there is a simple answer to some of this.  Fae are not bound by the rules of mortal wizards.  The Queens have been watching the bloodline of Dresden and know that it is not only powerful but also has a great portent to affect pivotal decisions in the timeline.  Something along the line of whoever wields the power of
(click to show/hide)
  Or, Jim is going to go a completely different direction.
(click to show/hide)
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
I hate to throw this into the mix but there is a simple answer to some of this.  Fae are not bound by the rules of mortal wizards.  The Queens have been watching the bloodline of Dresden and know that it is not only powerful but also has a great portent to affect pivotal decisions in the timeline.  Something along the line of whoever wields the power of
(click to show/hide)
 Or, Jim is going to go a completely different direction.
(click to show/hide)
It might be just me being dense... but what do
(click to show/hide)
or mortal wizard rules, have to do with anything we discussed here?

Please enlighten me, because i really don't see any answer, simple or otherwise, to anything in this thread in that post.
I'm not trying to bash on someone here, I really just like to understand the reasoning.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »
-Not sure what s/he does for the Mothers.  And honestly don't want to dwell on it too much...

maybe he's theone that fetches the firewood and groceries for them  ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
It might be just me being dense... but what do
(click to show/hide)
or mortal wizard rules, have to do with anything we discussed here?

Please enlighten me, because i really don't see any answer, simple or otherwise, to anything in this thread in that post.
I'm not trying to bash on someone here, I really just like to understand the reasoning.

I apologize.  I was trying to keep the response short. 
Bloodline destiny reveiled by looking into the future ie swimming against the flow of time would be reasons for both bloodlines and not having to adhere to the rules of a mortal spell caster.  Ease of transitioning the power and who makes the best knights are all valid things to consider while deciding why a character might be chosen. 
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 07:19:47 PM »
Personally I don't see many 16 year olds having that much in the way to offer the Lady of Summer for her to make him a Knight.  Yes - hundreds of years ago 16 year olds were young adults ---- but now days most are more children then adults ---- look at our culture.  It's in this "modern" culture that the Dresden files takes place, so take a look at your average sophmore in high school and tell me again why the Lady of Summer wants to give him a lifetime job.  It's all in the why?  And just being good at music, good with a sword, or having a crush really don't count as job qualifications that thousands would kill for (imo).

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »
Personally I don't see many 16 year olds having that much in the way to offer the Lady of Summer for her to make him a Knight.  Yes - hundreds of years ago 16 year olds were young adults ---- but now days most are more children then adults ---- look at our culture.  It's in this "modern" culture that the Dresden files takes place, so take a look at your average sophmore in high school and tell me again why the Lady of Summer wants to give him a lifetime job.  It's all in the why?  And just being good at music, good with a sword, or having a crush really don't count as job qualifications that thousands would kill for (imo).

make him from a non-western country where 16 is till the age of adulthood
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
Sorry, this is going to be a very short reply...in response to Kihon: 

The reason that I think that she would pick a 16 yr old is that at his age he would tend to naturally exemplify the ideals of the Summer Court.  When you are younger you tend to be more idealistic, have more heroic tendencies, and just more full of life.  Also a younger person would be very easy to "train" so that they would naturally agree with the agendas of your court.  Much like how it is much easier to get a younger person into a cult than it is an adult.  This would be preferable to a jaded 35 yr old because there would be far less of a chance of them fighting your every "suggestion", therefore making it a much better working relationship. 

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »
Alternatively maybe she's seen something of the future and there's a thing that she needs him specifically to do. Maybe he wasn't picked at age 16, maybe she's been watching him since birth, waiting for him to grow old enough to hold the power. Faeries being faeries it may be that the thing she needs him to do is something perfectly innocuous, it just has to be him specifically that does it, or it could be that she's using him to keep the power from being reassigned by her mother (maybe there's a special someone that the Queen want's to name asKnight, but the Lady doesn't like). At that point you've got the Knight being assigned really dangerous tasks by the Queen in an attempt to get him killed (because she can't be seen to do it herself, after all , he seems loyal to the court), and the Lady trying to keep him out of harms way by putting him in more low threat diplomatic situations (which may inevitably turn out to be more complicated than they appear).