Author Topic: Post-traumatic writing disorder  (Read 5646 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Post-traumatic writing disorder
« on: October 01, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »
Okay, so, one of my works in progress is partly from the viewpoint of a character who is currently undergoing a raging bout of delayed PTSD.  He's got it all--the shakes, sleep deprivation, alcohol abuse, irritability, paranoia, memory loss, and so on.  He's also started hallucinating a guy whose death he accidentally caused several years ago (one of the primary reasons for the PTSD but since he's blocked out the entire incident, he has no memory of it and thinks the guy is just somebody who recently moved in across the hall from him.)  Also, he's on edge because someone burglarized his apartment a few days ago. 

Now, I've been envisioning this from a very visual and cinematic POV:  time slips, weird cuts, wonky, hallucinogenic Steadycam work, theramins on the soundtrack, and so on.  My dilemma is how to translate this into verbal terms so that the reader will think:  "Okay, this is really weird for a reason," rather than, "Whoa, where the hell was the editor?!"  I guess what I'm striving for is the old "unreliable narrator" thing, so my question is:  has anyone here read anything similar to this, how well does it work, and do you know of any works that have used this kind of thing?  Recommendations?

FWIW, the setting is the late 1940's and PTSD has yet to be diagnosed; plus, it's set in the real, mundane world so the possibility of a paranormal (or science so advanced it might as well be paranormal) reason behind the strangeness is not even a consideration.  Also, this is the second in a series, so the character is already pretty well established and any deviations should raise a few red flags with the careful reader.  Any thoughts?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Post-traumatic writing disorder
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:32:57 AM »
Also include hyperawareness and flashbacks to the list of symptoms.

What was the event that he's reliving? For example, someone suffering PTSD from a car accident will present slightly differently than say a soldier who made it through a year on the front lines.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
There are a series of books about an English Police Detective and during, I think, WW1, he was in charge of a military unit and had to have one of his men shot because the guy would not go out into the trenches in some stupid (and it truly was stupid) manuever dreamed up by the men at the back.  Now, he constantly has this guy with him but whether it's a ghost or just his own conscience is hard to tell.  I found them interesting.  I think the author's last name is Todd, but am not sure.

As much as you want to write the thing weird - you can't do it so good that you lose your audience.  Perhaps you need to have your protagonist have a serious PTSD episode - establish that he's not operating with a full deck.  Use some small thing from that episode to establish that the "guy across the hall" is in some way connected with the PTSD.  A smell or a color or a sound - just a small tell for your readers.  Or is this a script?

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 10:43:41 PM »
Thanks--that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.  (FYI--it's prose, not a play or film, so I'm trying to translate primarily visual ideas into words.)  I think the way to do it might be to start out fairly realistic and gradually bring the weird...
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 02:29:56 AM »
Thanks--that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.  (FYI--it's prose, not a play or film, so I'm trying to translate primarily visual ideas into words.)  I think the way to do it might be to start out fairly realistic and gradually bring the weird...

I think that's a good way to go.  If you just toss your audience in at the deep end of the weird - they're gonna be lost immediately and may not decide to stick around to see what happens.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 02:41:18 AM »
Depending on exactly how you do the weird, you could have it done through other people's reactions.  I've seen some TV shows do PTSD like that.  It's not quite the same, but the show Mercy had a nurse, back from Iraq, with PTSD, and it showed how she reacted to stuff and how people reacted to her.  One episode had a similar situation to Harry when he first meets Sheila/Lash.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 02:45:47 AM »
Why didn't I think of this before.  On the first couple of season's of the Denis leary show - Rescue Me.  You see him talking to people that you later realize are ghosts of people, or they're dead people.  You also see how his fellow firemen react when he's talking to one of these dead people.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 03:15:46 AM »
Sorry, but Dennis Leary was much closer to psychosis than having PTSD. Visual hallucinations are really rare even when people *are* psychotic, let alone when they aren't. Now flashbacks, hyperawareness, irritability, nightmares, insomnia, much closer to actual PTSD.

And in regards to it "being delayed." All PTSD is, the criteria is starting to show symptoms at least 1 month after the event.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 03:19:09 AM »
Sorry, but Dennis Leary was much closer to psychosis than having PTSD. Visual hallucinations are really rare even when people *are* psychotic, let alone when they aren't. Now flashbacks, hyperawareness, irritability, nightmares, insomnia, much closer to actual PTSD.

And in regards to it "being delayed." All PTSD is, the criteria is starting to show symptoms at least 1 month after the event.

True, but it does show her how such a scene is set up in a script and how people on the outside react to it.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:28:17 AM »
True, personally I think flashbacks would be more jarring. And I'm trying to help with the PTSD facts.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 03:33:52 AM »
True, personally I think flashbacks would be more jarring. And I'm trying to help with the PTSD facts.

Yeah, flashbacks unless you handle them just right are a pain in the tuchis.
Good on the PTSD facts.  That's what I like about this forum, most everybody tries to help everybody else.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 03:40:09 AM »
That and being a psych major I feel it's my duty to help out with all psychological things. ;D

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 03:41:35 AM »
That and being a psych major I feel it's my duty to help out with all psychological things. ;D

Ah, I didn't know that.  Yup, having someone who knows what's what is a good thing.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 03:50:24 AM »
Dammit...I just realized I left my DSM IV back in CA.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 03:54:42 AM »
Dammit...I just realized I left my DSM IV back in CA.

DSM IV??????