Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 54308 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2010, 03:57:06 AM »
Guns:

Ammo Selection: There are a lot of different types of bullet in the world, and each of them is suitable for a different situation. Given the chance to select and use ammunition appropriate to the situation, all of your attacks with Guns inflict two additional stress.

I like the Security Expert and A Potion For Everything, and Too Cool For School reminds me of my students, but Ammo Selection...  :o  

That is broken, straight up.  That makes a pistol as damaging as a bazooka, a shotgun as dangerous as artillery.  1 shift would be the maximum I'd allow, and they'd have to spend a fate point per use.  It'd be easier to make assessments and declarations along the lines of LOADED WITH DRAGONS BREATH that you could then tag.  And then that opens the door to balancing negative compels when a gun so LOADED goes kaboom in the shooter's face.  No chance of that with that stunt.  

Now, a Resources stunt that allows you easier access to those rare and unique ammo types... that'd be more workable.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:58:59 AM by bibliophile20 »
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Tbora

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2010, 04:00:18 AM »
I like the Security Expert and A Potion For Everything, and Too Cool For School reminds me of my students, but Ammo Selection...  :o 

That is broken, straight up.  That makes a pistol as damaging as a bazooka, a shotgun as dangerous as artillery.  1 shift would be the maximum I'd allow, and they'd have to spend a fate point per use.  It'd be easier to make assessments and declarations along the lines of LOADED WITH DRAGONS BREATH that you could then tag.  And then that opens the door to negative compels when a gun so LOADED goes kaboom in the shooter's face.  No chance of that with that stunt. 

Now, a Resources stunt that allows you easier access to those rare and unique ammo types... that'd be more workable. 

This is not broken, their are examples of similar stunts with both weapons and fists in the book - its perfectly legit mechanically and by the examples of books.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
I absolutely agree with Tbora on this one.  Remember, to have said ammo, well, you have to *have* it and is implied that it can be taken away, melted (bad end! there), or similarly "disabled.  Not to mention, is that ammo even legal? Do you have the resources to acquire it? Et cetera.  From an outside perspective, I can see it looking broken, but from within the system, it's not so much.  Feel free to compare it to the other weapon, and gun stunts. Fist stunts are less powerful, but that's because you can't be "disarmed" of your arms. I hope. :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
I absolutely agree with Tbora on this one.  Remember, to have said ammo, well, you have to *have* it and is implied that it can be taken away, melted (bad end! there), or similarly "disabled.  Not to mention, is that ammo even legal? Do you have the resources to acquire it? Et cetera.  From an outside perspective, I can see it looking broken, but from within the system, it's not so much.  Feel free to compare it to the other weapon, and gun stunts. Fist stunts are less powerful, but that's because you can't be "disarmed" of your arms. I hope. :)

actually a character in my game got disarmed of his uh arms haha there was a sword involved and well things got out of control...
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
This is not broken, their are examples of similar stunts with both weapons and fists in the book - its perfectly legit mechanically and by the examples of books.

I concur too. Not broken. Keep in mind that stress isn't damage. Keep in mind the attack has to go through in order to do stress.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
I concur too. Not broken. Keep in mind that stress isn't damage. Keep in mind the attack has to go through in order to do stress.

and you have to be prepared enough to know what sort of baddie you're going to be fighting and subsequently aquire bullets to fight the previously mentioned baddie so you have to pass a resources roll to even get/ have the proper rounds
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2010, 03:56:19 AM »
I'm not sure if this is overpowered, or whether it would fall under conviction or intimidate.

I find your lack of faith disturbing: When intimidating someone with a conviction lower than yours, gain one to your roll.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
That looks perfectly fair to me, maybe even underpowered. You normally get +2 to a skill under a specific circumstance from a stunt. But since a character with peaked Conviction will rarely meet an equal in that skill, you might as well leave it as is. Maybe boost it a little saying that it stacks with everything.

I'd say it falls under Intimidation, since similar versions could be made for skills other than Conviction (combat skills, maybe) but probably not for skills other than Intimidation. At least, not without a good justification.

May I add that to the list? The same goes for Lanodantheon, who still hasn't responded to my request.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2010, 08:17:13 PM »
Feel free to add it.  If you think it needs a boost, give it one.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:18 AM »
Been doing other things. Go ahead and add Innovation Trumps Experience.

It's safe to assume that any stunt that I post here that isn't argued about I'd like added to the master list if it is deemed fair.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline the_glasglow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
One for an actor NPC I've just come up with:
Performance
Stage fighting   -you may use performance+1 for melee  (Weapons/Fists) attacks, however you do 1 less stress with any damage inflicted

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2010, 01:53:09 AM »
Thank you, blackblade and Lanodantheon.

Anyway, I have a whole pile of new stunts today. This is in part thanks to my recent creation of NPCs who needed thematically appropriate stunts. Some of these may be unbalanced, so I would appreciate feedback greatly.

Alertness:

Sentry: You have the ability to wait, devoting your full efforts to watchfulness, for hours on end. You may activate this stunt by taking an action in a conflict or simply announcing it outside of a conflict. After activating this stunt, you may add two to your Alertness skill until you take another action.

Conviction:

You Do Not Want To See My Soul: Your soul has a truly profound effect on those who see it. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it to make mental attacks in a
Soulgaze.

Craftsmanship:

From Another Time: You are intimately familiar with the technology of a time other than the present. Choose a time period other than the present day. Add two to your Craftsmanship skill when dealing with stuff from that time period.

Empathy:

Bartender's Ear: Like any good bartender, you know how to understand drunk people. Add two to your Empathy skill when dealing with people who are under the influence of alcohol.

Endurance:

Effortless Recovery: You don’t just heal fast. You heal easily. You may spend a supplemental action to remove a minor consequence with a Recovery power without taking a -1 penalty to your main action that exchange.

Fists:

Potent Poison: The poison produced by your body is exceptionally powerful. Add one to your Fists skill for any use of the Venomous trapping of the Claws power.

Investigation:

Real Detectives Improvise: Most people need a number of skills to investigate properly, but you seem to do alright without them. When using a skill to investigate something or someone, you may spend a fate point to use your Investigation skill instead. For example, you could spend a fate point to use Investigation instead of Empathy when analysing suspects in conversation.

Might:

Master Grappler: (Requires Wrestler) As a result of long training, some actions in a grapple have become instinctive to you. Pick one of the supplemental actions that you may take while grappling. You suffer no penalty for taking that action in a grapple.

Performance:

Mixed Drinks: Some people paint paintings. Some people carve sculptures. You mix cocktails. Add two to your Performance skill when using it to make alcoholic drinks.

Scholarship:

Research Is Research: Honestly, there isn’t much difference between reading up on quantum physics and reading up on voodoo. You may use your Scholarship skill to perform research into supernatural topics.
Scientist, Not Wizard: To you, magic is just an obscure branch of science where humanity’s understanding is lacking. Pick a field of thaumaturgy other than crafting. You may use your Scholarship skill to determine the base complexity of the rituals you perform within that field.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2010, 08:29:34 AM »
I declare Sacntaphrax busy bee of stunt creation :D

Sentry: I'd strike the activation. Just make it that the stunt is active if the barer stands sentry. IMO thats enough of an situational restriction.

Effortless Recovery: IMO the stunt is undervalued as it stands. An other problem is that stunts generally aren't supposed to ad onto supernatural powers if I'm not mistaken.

Potent Poison: Again a stunt relating to a power. In this case it isn't big of a deal because you could simply create this as a custom power, making it an upgrade for the Poison on the claws.

The rest I like and are good.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »
Effortless Recovery: IMO the stunt is undervalued as it stands. An other problem is that stunts generally aren't supposed to ad onto supernatural powers if I'm not mistaken.

the whole stunts adding to powers is still under debate if I'm not mistaken personallly I think that stunts should be able to effect powers I think I heard something about starting a topic to debate this subject

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
Busy bee, huh? Sounds like a nice thing to be. Papa Gruff is probably right about Sentry, so I'll change that one eventually. As for Effortless Recovery, I knew when I was making it that it pushed the envelope for stunt power. Do you think it would be better as a [-1] supernatural power?

Anyway, the issue of "supernatural stunts" has been debated repeatedly. If you would like to try and resolve it, make a new thread. This argument has already sidetracked at least two threads, and I'd rather not add this one to that list.

Thank you for the feedback.