Author Topic: Character Challenge  (Read 3174 times)

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
Character Challenge
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:30:23 AM »
So an idea occurred to me for a High Concept:   Man With the Golden Fiddle, with said Instrument being an Item of Power won in the manner laid out in the Charlie Daniels song.

I would like your thoughts and ideas for such a character and on the Fiddle itself.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Character Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:52:19 AM »
Trouble concept: Old Scratch wants a rematch, and won't accept a 'no'

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:03:34 AM »
It'd be awesome if all your aspects were titles of reels and jigs.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:13:50 AM »
I'd say it would be a +2 IoP (You aren't hiding a gold fiddle), and that one of its powers be +2 to all Performance rolls using it. Maybe throw in a reworked Glamours or something, since the Devil would be good at tricking people, and Glamours ring of that.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:44 AM »
Sorry ... my inner geek can't resist: "Wouldn't a solid gold fiddle weigh hundreds of pounds and sound crummy?"

Can you tell us some more about what the fiddle and the PC might be able to do in your imagination? It's a bit difficult to brainstorm like that...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Genhuman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 03:12:48 PM »
Sorry ... my inner geek can't resist: "Wouldn't a solid gold fiddle weigh hundreds of pounds and sound crummy?"

Ironically enough, that episode was on Comedy Central last night.  ;)
My mother was a test tube.  My father was a knife.

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »
Golden Fiddle IOP +2
Incite Emotion (enthusiasm? enjoying the performance not sure what to call it) -1
At range -1
Emotional Vampire -1
Feeding Dependency +1
+2 to all resource rolls -1
Total refresh cost  -1

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 04:07:16 PM »
Incite Emotion is good Will. I would not, however, put it on Feeding Dependency, or give it Emotional Vampire.
Okay:
-1, +2 Performance with IoP
-1 Incite Emotion
-1 At Range
-1 Lasting
-1 Potent
(Think of this like Divine Purpose) The Fiddle can only be used to make the wielder more famous/notorious/known/powerful.
+2 IoP Bonus

Not the magical fiddle of the Devil! It plays like a dream. Also, when I typed 'of the Devil!', all I could think of was the Waterboy.

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
Incite Emotion is good Will. I would not, however, put it on Feeding Dependency, or give it Emotional Vampire.

I had a more sinister take on it. It came from the Devil. It isn't going to come without a drawback. He's not called the prince of darkness because he plays fair.

Tbora

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
Here is my take on the Johnny's Golden Fiddle.

[-8] Golden Fiddle A instrument of great power, this item was won in a contest of musical prowess against the literal Devil himself.To have this Item of Power you must a possess a High Concept indicating such.

[-8] Physical Immunity
[+3] The Catch is Unholy Stuff, and Physical Immunity is only active when the Fiddle is actually being played.
[-4] Incite Emotion: Awe (Lasting, At Range, Potent)
[-1] The Best That's Ever Been (+2 to Performance)
[+2] Bonus Already Applied, as an Item of Power the Bonus has been applied to the total cost.

Tbora

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 04:27:23 PM »
I had a more sinister take on it. It came from the Devil. It isn't going to come without a drawback. He's not called the prince of darkness because he plays fair.

I thought the Prince of Darkness was Ozzy Osbourne

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »

Why does it have Physical Immunity? The rest looks great, I just can't get my head around that. Also, wouldn't the Catch be Holy, since it is the Devil's fiddle?

Tbora

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »
Quite simply he The Best That's Ever Been, to me it makes sense to give him a power showing how strong, how unbeatable he is.As for the catch of Unholy - well I figure with the Devil always jonesing for a rematch it makes sense.Johnny is the Hero in the song not villain, it does not make sense for stuff like Swords of the Cross to affect him in my mind.

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »

Can you tell us some more about what the fiddle and the PC might be able to do in your imagination? It's a bit difficult to brainstorm like that...

I was thinking that perhaps the Devil had won/stolen the Fiddle from something, or someone, so it is not necessarily Infernal in and of itself.  I rember someone posting something about a Bard of the Autumn Court, and for that using Performance instead of Conviction for magic.  If the PC is a magicer then I was pondering something like that.  If he has no magic, I was thinking that the Fiddle might me alive in a sense and have some variant of Demonic Copilot, as I said not necessarily of the Infernal variety.

As for Johny himself, I am sorrta drawing a blank other than an Aspect for "The Best That's Ever Been" and that he has Performance 5 with stunt to boost it to 6 while playing a fiddle.

Offline cetra02

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 04:55:15 PM »

I really like this build of the Fiddle.  It makes for one hella powerful player in the right hands.

Quite simply he The Best That's Ever Been, to me it makes sense to give him a power showing how strong, how unbeatable he is.As for the catch of Unholy - well I figure with the Devil always jonesing for a rematch it makes sense.Johnny is the Hero in the song not villain, it does not make sense for stuff like Swords of the Cross to affect him in my mind.

On that note: The Devil Went Back To Georgia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwEqEBimjy8
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:04:24 PM by cetra02 »