Author Topic: Bag of Holding  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Bag of Holding
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »
I'd stat it as simply a total [-1] refresh IoP, and make them spend a FP anytime they take something out of it(or if that's too expensive for you, have them spend a FP only when it's something that they didn't put in there "on screen").

By the way, you can already spend FPs to conveniently have something on hand, the bag of holding is simply justification for a wider range of objects.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 04:50:25 AM »
Now THAT's an interesting point! That's right! We already have this mechanic in the game, as it were!

So what if it's an expensive thing, like an aspect and -2 refresh, and what it does is let you tag or bonus to your declarations? Or get them cheaper?

Offline exploding_brain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »
If it's an aspect, they can invoke the aspect for a +2 on a resources roll.

It it's a power, for [-1] refresh, provides 2 shifts towards reducing the time needed to acquire something with a resources roll.  ("I already bought it, and happen to have it right here.")

For more refresh, they can maybe do more tricks.  In my game, I'd probably encourage my players to take it as an aspect at first (e.g. "Lets see what I have in my bag of tricks."), and save the refresh to possibly purchase the power later.

Also, general FATE style remedy to the "Bwahahaha I out thought you, where's your story now?" syndrome:  Bribe them with FATE points to let your story happen anyway.

"Hmmm, OK Frank, I suppose you could use your bag that way, if you make the roll.  For an FP, I'll even say you get X as well.  On the other hand, I could give you an FP to compel your Y aspect, and we'll say that you already have Z hiding in your bag, which totally messes up your plan.  I guess that would also mean the the following really cool situation develops."

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »
Another way to implement this is to use a variant of potions.  So they spend 1 refresh to have 4 'uses' of the bag per session.  And then they can either define what those 4 uses are ahead of time, make a (planning related skill) difficulty 3 roll to just happen to have the item they need in the bag, or, if the rolls fails, spend a fate point to have to right item.

After all, a wizard with several potion slots can already do this.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 05:31:55 PM »
I had a variant of this; a psychic whose power came from an old Twilight Zone episode.

"What You Need" (-1)  For a FP, the character can produce any portable item that is exactly what is needed for the problem.  In game, the character 'just happened' to have acquired that item previously.  (Very limited precognition.) 
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
Just tell'm to get their characters to buy them from Thinkgeek :) http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
i got one of those and it's really a cool and roomy bag. actually i have my DFRPG stuff in it, as i go to a game tonight.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »
Just tell'm to get their characters to buy them from Thinkgeek :) http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/

that might be the coolest ad i have ever seen i totally need one now lol   ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
i got one of those and it's really a cool and roomy bag. actually i have my DFRPG stuff in it, as i go to a game tonight.
Hey good to know, always comforting to hear customer testimony. Its not available right now or I'd have ordered it on the spot. Just one of many things I'd love to get from there... hehehe

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »
That is so awesome. No wonder they're out of stock. :(

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »
I suspect this is Nakor the Blue rider, and his 'infinite bag of Oranges (usually)', from Raymond E. Fiest's Princes of Blood (I think), a squeal to the rift-war saga books.

Sounds like the bag in Mary Poppins.

There's an idea that I seem to remember from a book (not one of Jim Butchers, and I couldn't tell you the title or author), where the main character had a bag or a pocket that he kept pulling things out of that should never have fitted in there in the first place. The way this was accomplished was that they were actually reaching through a wormhole that opened into a crate in a warehouse (or something similar). It limited the amount of stuff that could be stored by virtue of the items still having to be stored in a warehouse, and limited what he could pull out by what was close to the opening of the wormhole. This is largely from a rather hazy memory of the book in question, but maybe that's a possible way of working it without overly tipping game balance. The size of the item is also limited by the size of the bag or pocket it's attached to - i.e you can put a car in the warehouse next to the 'hole', but there's no way you could pull the car through.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:58 AM »
Any fans of Knights of the Dinner Table here?  At one point in the storyline, the players discovered that the higher-end "Bags of Hefty Capacity" (ie, Bags of Holding) were actually linked to a particular location in an alternate dimension which I think they referred to as 'Bag Space'.  They abused this heavily, to the extent that they stored squads of mercenaries in their Bags, along with siege equipment and massive amounts of supplies.  Later they (or NPCs, I forget which) came up with the theory that all high-tier Bags were connected by Bag Space, and that they could therefore enter Bag Space and search for other Bag entry points, then raid the contents stored there...

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 08:28:48 PM »
how to break a bag of holding 101, a dnd 3.5 gm's perspective:

1: fill it full of sand, and empty it all in one round. instant eff you to who ever is chasing you through that hallway or to the creature that just ate you (tarrasque).
2: as above with water, added benefit of killing magic as a torrent of water washes it all away.
3: carry around the group with the top open allowing spell casters to shoot out of the bag from a covered position.
4: security systems dont stand a chance.
5: explosives... nuff said...
6: that one thing you never saw coming.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »
Ooo...the water one's neat.

The explosives can get nasty when we start weighing in hundreds of pounds.

I don't know if carrying people would be possible. You could call that a side effect of carrying a portable interdimensional space.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 01:12:58 AM »
Somehow I am reminded of Gamma, if anyone knows him. He is an alien friend of Mickey Mouse and he has a pair of pants with the effect of a bag of holding. Anytime he needs something he is looking inside his pants pockets and gets out a whole lot of stuff, but it always takes him a while (and a comically large pile of junk) to find the right item. Could be a great way to compel it, if it is an aspect. And of course, if someone can macgyver the wrong item from the bag to work for them, it is bound to be a great scene  ;D
"For my next trick... anvils!"
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal