Author Topic: WCVs and the Catch  (Read 1828 times)

Offline HappyDaze

• Participant
    • View Profile
WCVs and the Catch
« on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:15 AM »
How often does the WCVs' version of the Catch really come up in play?  As I've read it from the novels, it only applies when the WCV is attempting to feed (in terms of the RPG, using Emotion Vampire).  So how often will this really apply in game to limit a WCV's Inhuman Recovery (or Supernatural Recovery for an advanced WCV)?

Offline arsieiuni

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: WCVs and the Catch
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:31:32 AM »
Well don't forget that a WCV can use their Incite Emotion to screw over someone they would otherwise have to fight, or to avoid a combat, or that they could eat someone to kill them instead of fighting fair. If that person has True Love (should admittedly be rare) then they could not touch them.

I was having this conversation with my wife (is one of my PCs) last night. The catches for the WCV's are not all really equal. Courage is probably easiest to come by, especially when one must protect people they love. Hope is harder than courage but easier than True Love. True Love is rare and beautiful. Raith's got off easy.

Then again... look at
(click to show/hide)

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:34:09 AM »
Bear in mind that it's not just people who they're trying to feed from who can fulfill this Catch - any item representing True Love/Hope/Courage can fulfill the catch, and serve as a weapon or grounds for a compel on the high concept.  The book specifically lists a rose given between lovers poisoning a WCV who was pricked by the thorns, and another one has a ring-shaped scar in her palm from handling the wrong wedding ring.  

Dealing with a fear-eater?  Find (or Declare) a sword that was used in battle against overwhelming odds.  Odds are, that sword will have taken in the Courage of the one who wielded it, granting it the ability to bypass the WCV's Recovery (and possibly deal extra damage, to boot).  

Similar possibilities will exist for lust- or despair-eaters as well.  Just gotta be creative.

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
How often does the WCVs' version of the Catch really come up in play?  As I've read it from the novels, it only applies when the WCV is attempting to feed (in terms of the RPG, using Emotion Vampire).  So how often will this really apply in game to limit a WCV's Inhuman Recovery (or Supernatural Recovery for an advanced WCV)?

The WCV's catch also applies whenever they come in contact with someone or something that is filled with their True Emotion weakness, not just when they try to feed. As others have already mentioned there are all sorts of objects that could harm them, however such objects and even folks possessing those emotions are probably pretty rare, so you're right they don't come up that often. But that's also why WCV don't get any refresh points back as a discount for their Catch, it's a +0 power, whereas the poor BCVs have a +3 discount from their Catch because everyone who's ever heard of Vampires knows their weaknesses and how to kill them. And the RCVs who share only some of those classic Vampire weaknesses get a +2 Catch.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
I was having this conversation with my wife (is one of my PCs) last night. The catches for the WCV's are not all really equal. Courage is probably easiest to come by, especially when one must protect people they love. Hope is harder than courage but easier than True Love. True Love is rare and beautiful. Raith's got off easy.
Why would people protecting those they love exhibit True Courage? It is courage but I do not think that is really True Courage. Showing courage in face of overwhelming odds when it is easy just to stay out of the fight, that's True Courage. I'd say that all the Trues are equally hard to come by.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »
Actually this leads me to another question.

In OW, it mentions that WCVs have "standard vampire weaknesses", but affect them less than others.  I don't remember them having any problems with sunlight, holy water, etc, from the books.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:21:31 PM by FangGrip »

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:46 PM »
In OW, it mentions that WCVs have "standard vampire weaknesses", but affect them less than others.  I don't remember them having any problems with sunlight, holy water, etc, from the books.

"Standard Vampire Weakness" the first:  A stake to the heart will easily kill a WCVampire.   ;D

And I think they're specifically meaning holy items like the swords of the cross and such.  I, personally, would associate it with feeding.  The more they rely on their Hunger, the more they can be affected by holy ground, religious symbols, and the like.  We've seen Thomas and his sisters move around in the daylight, deal with running water, and Thomas seems to be okay (if uncomfortable) on holy ground.

Then again, I don't remember them ever using any of their vampire powers in any of those cases, either.  Maybe it works like a Block (of varying difficulty) on their checks when tapping the Hunger?