Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 80928 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Gamers looking for Groups? (ATX)
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2011, 04:49:15 AM »

BTW am i the only one that got excited and finished the majority of my character and background?

I did my 20 questions (just email those to the GM?)
And am working on my 3X3X3s.
Found out my PC cant support word (?) so I am using the wifes Mac, which I hate.

Spent about an hour today rereading Dresden RPG book. Picked up some "Hello my name is" badges, and went to Barnes and Noble, but couldnt find a good Miami Map.

I say we either 1. Ignore the Miami/Orlando distance 2. Explain it away with a portal or Disney world expanded to Miami or something

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »
I'm just having trouble with building a character. As in, Fate points, skills ect.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »
I have a tendency to like "every day weapons." I know that doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense, but stripped down weapons are my fav. Not a singe one of my weapons has any upgrades other then a rail for a tac light for my M&P 40. The only other "upgrade" if you will are trinitum night sights. Im a firm believer its the man behind the weapon, not the weapon that makes it deadly. That said....

There's a lot of truth to what you are saying, but if gizmos didn't give the operator an edge, we'd all be shooting Mosin Nagants. :P

Really nice gunz.  I happen to be a real big fan of the styer and associated clones. A bull pup style weapon generally has less range then a carbine
How do you figure?  A bullpup weapon has the same length of barrel or longer than most other similar sized carbines.  My M-4 I used in the 'Stan had a 14.5" barrel (I think).  My E4 has a 16.5" barrel.
but most infantry engagements take place less then 200 yards, and both the M-4 (a carbine) and styre clones are awesome for room clearing. 
Agreed.
The only thing that gets me with the styer and co. is their lack of accuracy. The weapon design and body mechanics make them a little less accurate then a "true" carbine.
Bullpups in general tend to be less accurate due to the crappy trigger.  That said, the MSAR E4 trigger is better than an Aug trigger and I've also installed a Neu-Trigger.  It brought the trigger down to a crisp 6 lbs. or so.  Now it feels like an AR-15 trigger with just a little creep and I can deal with that.

As for Disney, orlando and Miami are really not that far apart.
Agreed.

BTW am i the only one that got excited and finished the majority of my character and background?

Most of the work on mine was already done before the first meeting... lol.  Right now I am revising Ashley's character and waiting on Ren's decision about what he will allow me to do with mine.  Basically, I think my character is done.  We just need to agree on semantics at this point.

Ashley's character is going to be mortal except for the IOP camera.  This is rather interesting.  The only two PCs with supernatural powers in our groups are going to be my character and our friendly neighborhood bookish wizard... I think.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:57 AM »
I'm just having trouble with building a character. As in, Fate points, skills ect.

If you need any help or input, feel free to contact me.  I have no life at the moment so my door is almost always open. :)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »
The accuracy and the range of the styr vs the M-4 (which was used by me in the Stan and Icrapx2), for once, has nothing to do with barrel length. Which for the rest of you is the normal determination for range. I read, that it has to do with the manufacturing and how much gas is expelled with in the breach.
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »
That KSG is pretty cool-looking, reloading must take forever but I'm curious to see how it fires.

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night Bear, I had to call my Mom for her 70th Birthday and it turned into something much more involved than I had planned.
I'll look over the character stuff later today and get back to you.

The 3x3x3 and 20 Questions is more for you all and I don't need it right away. When characters are fully written up and ready to go then I'd like to get a copy of everything in one package.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »
Bear; after doing some reading and math this what I came up with. Sponsored Magic allows you to purchase Evocation or Thaumaturgy for (-2) each, not both for (-3). It took a little reading and re-reading of the Sponsored Magic section to figure it out but I'm fairly sure that's right. Giving a (+X) Catch for an Item of Power that already gave you a +2 Bonus is redundant especially when they are both implying the same effect/cost. I thought that a straight up bypassing by Sea-Water was probably far too common given the setting so making it Blessed Sea-water makes it rare enough for the +1 still. As it stands you'll still have to lose a few points somewhere; I'd recommend losing the Mortal Stunt and the Refinement for right now or possibly one of the Enhanced abilities. Though you could go with the Raw Power version and ditch Thaumaturgy for a more "here-and-now" approach to Magic.

Ethan White: [Base  Refresh of 8]

Stunts and  Powers:
Mortal Stunts:
Armed Arts(-1)

Wizard’s Constitution (-0)

Maui’s Fishhook; Item of Power (+2)
Unbreakable
Imparted Abilities – “Pele’s Gift”
Evocation; Sponsored Magic (-2)
Elements; Spirit, Air, Light (Fire, Earth and Spirit?)

Item Slots – 2 focus, 4 enchanted
Ring; +2 spirit defensive conviction
Ring; 1 Offensive Light 3 times a day (aimed with guns)
Bracelet; 4 shift block 3 times a day  

Refinement(Evocation) (-1); Additional Item Slots

Thaumaturgy; Sponsored Magic (-2)

Enhanced Abilities:
Inhuman Strength(-2)
Inhuman Speed(-2)
Inhuman Toughness(-2)
- Toughness Catch (+1) – Can be Bypassed by Blessed Sea-Water (even if in solid form; i.e. Ice).

*The Catch Implied by an Item of Power is that if he ever loses the Hook he loses ALL of the abilities of Maui’s Fishhook until the item is recovered. He will always keep the Wizard’s Constitution even if for any reason he should ever lose the Hook permanently (Pele will make you live with what you have lost for as long as possible.). At the very least the extended life-time will give you more time to locate the lost Hook.

Total Cost of Stunts/Powers: (-12)
Refunded Points:  (+3)
Total Refresh: -1 (You’ll have to find a way to get back 2 points somewhere)

Note: No Specialization Bonuses for Sponsored Magic and Refinement can only be applied to Focus or Enchanted items.
Note: Also note that I recommended a different set of Elements that seem more fitting for a Goddess of Fire and Earth and was what I think you were going for anyway.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:57:37 PM by Ren »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
The accuracy and the range of the styr vs the M-4 (which was used by me in the Stan and Icrapx2), for once, has nothing to do with barrel length. Which for the rest of you is the normal determination for range. I read, that it has to do with the manufacturing and how much gas is expelled with in the breach.

I am willing to buy that.  The design is one of the reasons most folks agree that a suppressor does not work as well on a bullpup either.

That said, the MSAR is a redesign made by an American company.  It's not quite the same as a Steyr.  So... I honestly don't know what the actual range on it is.  I do know that 300 meters targets are no problem and that is really what I got it for.

If I need to shoot anything further than that I'll grab one of my .270s. :P

That KSG is pretty cool-looking, reloading must take forever but I'm curious to see how it fires.

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night Bear, I had to call my Mom for her 70th Birthday and it turned into something much more involved than I had planned.
I'll look over the character stuff later today and get back to you.

The 3x3x3 and 20 Questions is more for you all and I don't need it right away. When characters are fully written up and ready to go then I'd like to get a copy of everything in one package.

Ok cool.  I'm looking forward to getting your reply.

I'm not really doing much today so I should be able to respond promptly.  I'm just modding Nerf guns today in preparation for a zombie LARP on Saturday.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
I'm not really doing much today so I should be able to respond promptly.  I'm just modding Nerf guns today in preparation for a zombie LARP on Saturday.
We did something like that back in community college but then they got all touchy about "Guns" at school.
But that sounds cool. my friends would often play "What if Zombies were real and what would you do right now" after some late night drinking sessions

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:14 PM »
I'm curious about the 20 questions I saw mentioned
Could I get a copy?
 I hope your game is lots of fun
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2011, 11:39:28 PM »
Bear; after doing some reading and math this what I came up with. Sponsored Magic allows you to purchase Evocation or Thaumaturgy for (-2) each, not both for (-3). It took a little reading and re-reading of the Sponsored Magic section to figure it out but I'm fairly sure that's right. Giving a (+X) Catch for an Item of Power that already gave you a +2 Bonus is redundant especially when they are both implying the same effect/cost. I thought that a straight up bypassing by Sea-Water was probably far too common given the setting so making it Blessed Sea-water makes it rare enough for the +1 still. As it stands you'll still have to lose a few points somewhere; I'd recommend losing the Mortal Stunt and the Refinement for right now or possibly one of the Enhanced abilities. Though you could go with the Raw Power version and ditch Thaumaturgy for a more "here-and-now" approach to Magic.

Ethan White: [Base  Refresh of 8]

Stunts and  Powers:
Mortal Stunts:
Armed Arts(-1)

Unbreakable
Evocation; Sponsored Magic (-2)
Elements; Spirit, Air, Light (Fire, Earth and Spirit?)

Refinement(Evocation) (-1); Additional Item Slots

Enhanced Abilities:
Inhuman Strength(-2)
Inhuman Speed(-2)
Inhuman Toughness(-2)
- Toughness Catch (+1) – Can be Bypassed by Blessed Sea-Water (even if in solid form; i.e. Ice).

*The Catch Implied by an Item of Power is that if he ever loses the Hook he loses ALL of the abilities of Maui’s Fishhook until the item is recovered. He will always keep the Wizard’s Constitution even if for any reason he should ever lose the Hook permanently (Pele will make you live with what you have lost for as long as possible.). At the very least the extended life-time will give you more time to locate the lost Hook.

Total Cost of Stunts/Powers: (-12)
Total Refresh: -1 (You’ll have to find a way to get back 2 points somewhere)

Note: No Specialization Bonuses for Sponsored Magic and Refinement can only be applied to Focus or Enchanted items.
Note: Also note that I recommended a different set of Elements that seem more fitting for a Goddess of Fire and Earth and was what I think you were going for anyway.

I think you might have misunderstood my previous character build.

The RAW states that if a character already has evocation, the channeling ability of sponsored magic costs 1 less.

I think part of the problem is that you may have forgotten that Ethan had evocation.

Perhaps it will help if I write everything in a more concise form like you did.  Also, if he is going to lose all of his physical supernatural powers, wouldn't the catch give back more refresh?

The catch in the book only applies to toughness, not strength and speed.  I was really hoping to have a character like Samson who actually loses quite a bit of his strength in certain areas or coming in contact with certain things.  Blessed Seawater would work I guess - and that would actually go with Hawaiian mythology.

The reason I mentioned the ocean before is that Pele was originally supposed to become a water goddess. She chose her own way.  She was also eventually killed by her sister Namaka - the ocean goddess... they hated each other and presumably still do.

Anyway...

If you're only going to allow a -1 as a catch I could remove a physical ability.

So are you not going to allow this character to be submerged now?  You said you might before...

Anyway:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethan White: [Base  Refresh of 8] (still hoping for a submerged but I'd be happy with 8 refresh and the original 35 skill)

Stunts and  Powers:

Evocation -3
(Spirit, Air, Water)
Control (+1 spirit, +1 air), Power (+1 Spirit)

Unbreakable
Evocation; Sponsored Magic (-1)
Elements; Fire, Lightning, Earth

Refinement(Evocation) (-1)

Enhanced Abilities:
Inhuman Toughness(-2)

Total Cost of Stunts/Powers: (-10)
Total Refresh: 1 (This brings his refresh to 1 but I am not happy with it at all) :(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:49:15 PM by BumblingBear »

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2011, 12:51:09 AM »
I'm curious about the 20 questions I saw mentioned
Could I get a copy?
 I hope your game is lots of fun

I'll post it up under resources for you a bit later.

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:33 AM »
refresh of 1 just means that your character has problems. The GM can play with your trouble and compel you to do things. From the sound of your character and our conversation, i think it fits. Hes got some serious issues going on and hes just learning how to use his powers right (if i remember the conversation) there are bound to be growing pains.

Hell im 95% done with mine (finished the 20Q and 3x3 before i finished my character) and im gonna had the GM 2 troubles and only have one refresh (i guess thats the price you pay when you professionally hunt monsters for the government).

My two troubles: Right Place, Wrong time.  My Family has a history.

-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2011, 05:17:46 AM »
refresh of 1 just means that your character has problems. The GM can play with your trouble and compel you to do things. From the sound of your character and our conversation, i think it fits. Hes got some serious issues going on and hes just learning how to use his powers right (if i remember the conversation) there are bound to be growing pains.

Hell im 95% done with mine (finished the 20Q and 3x3 before i finished my character) and im gonna had the GM 2 troubles and only have one refresh (i guess thats the price you pay when you professionally hunt monsters for the government).

My two troubles: Right Place, Wrong time.  My Family has a history.

Yeah... I'm just impatient and now I have to wait longer for my character to get to where I want him to be....

But yeah, I like your take on it that he is just learning to use his power.  I can deal with that and it makes me less irked now that he won't start at submerged level.

Not only that, I've asked Red how fast we will advance, but I'm assuming it's pretty fast if we're doing 8 hour sessions every week. :)

I'm just glad that Ren has been so patient with me.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »
If you account for BSing time it'll be more like 6 hours of play time...8)
Course y'all could surprise me and we could stay on task the whole time...hrm...I had better plan accordingly. As of Now I'm essentially planning to have a two-part inter-twined story going on so there should be plenty to do. Half the trick will be getting everyone involved in some aspect of what is going on.

As a rough rule of thumb we'll probably be hitting a growth milestone every other session or so. Don't quote me on that though as I've yet to read up on the advancement rules.