Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 80927 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Gamers looking for Groups? (ATX)
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »
HAd a couple of thoughts for you Bear, well one for you one for your GF...

I may have a nemesis of the Were-Pixie...a 14-year old boy who runs around with a butterfly net and a mason jar muttering something about Needing an extra life...8) (Yes this is obviously intended to be humorous, but I may consider making something like this but with a much more sinister edge...who couldn't find a use for pixie-blood?
After reading through your thread about the two characters I have had some other thoughts as well;
For her I'd say limit her to a Fae Changeling or an Olympian Changeling but not both. A three-way tie for the soul doesn't make a lot of sense from the standpoint that it doesn't seem like it would physically be possible. She could have had a half-Fae mother and half-Olympian father, but at that point the human half would be far more overwhelming and the overall power would be kind of diluted. I also think it may be too confusing for her as a first-time gamer. For the setting I have in mind an Olympian Changeling would fit beautifully.

For your character I might allow the Refresh 10 with a few caveats; Only 35 skill points (As if Chest-Deep power level)
- All of your supernatural powers except the Wizard Health are tied to the Hook. If you lose it you have NO supernatural powers at all. This would count as a +3 Catch.
- In addition if the Hook is ever Lost or Stolen you will have an automatic Compel to drop whatever you are doing to look for it. This can range from the "Stop! I dropped my hook on the ground, help me find it!" to "My nemesis has stolen my Hook and is going to melt it down.". This will not apply if you are still in close proximity (20' x Discipline Modifier) to the Hook, even if not in possession of it (You will know when you are within close proximity to the Hook.). You can of course spend a Refresh to cancel this effect for a number of hours equal to your Discipline Modifier; -1 cumulative for each time the refresh has been used for this purpose. 
- I'm also thinking about adding on a "Punishment Clause" where you have to perform some kind of Painful Obeisance to Pele to Reactivate the Hook's powers; typically will involve some form of self-mutilation by fire. Between the above Catch and Compel with this Clause it would cover the +5 you would need to have an effective refresh of 10. 
Note: As Pele is also an island Goddess I'm thinking a Catch related to being in water isn't really going to work, but again we can talk about it on Sunday.

These are utterly /fantastic/ ideas!  I love it!  I would be 100% ok with tying all of my gifted supernatural power to the hook.  That said, Ethan's basic evocation is not tied to the hook.  That is what he had to being with to get "noticed"

Since all the power listed would be tied to the hook, wouldn't that be a +5 refresh, though?  I had +3 refresh for all 3 physical power (a +1 "catch" for all 3) and the +2 for the hook.

My idea was to give my opponents an huge equalizer (Like Nic's noose) and eventually add another level or two of supernatural abilities so if the hook is taken away Ethan doesn't go back to being /completely/ vanilla physically.

But yes, if the hook is ever stolen, Ethan is going to have to go after it.  Not only does most of his power come from that source... it would be a /bad/ thing to piss off Pele.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2011, 01:03:39 AM »
so if this becomes a weekly thing, like what day would we meet?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2011, 02:44:21 AM »
so if this becomes a weekly thing, like what day would we meet?

No clue.  I am guessing Sunday...

I'm also guessing that his will be brought up when we meet.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2011, 04:37:13 AM »
I'm hoping after 6 on sundays, or Sat anytime works for me

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
I'm hoping after 6 on sundays, or Sat anytime works for me

I would kind of like it to be moved later too.

I guess we will just have to see what everyone says. :)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
i just work 9-5 sundays,  had to pull some strings to get off on time this sunday (even then im finding out today if its 100% for sure)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2011, 03:00:31 AM »
1-4 tomorrow (sunday) right?

I am stoked.

Offline zegion

• Conversationalist
  • *Taps* -Bugle Call
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2011, 03:02:26 AM »
coming a little late to the party as ive been out of the loop for awhile (picked up a new post for NG and ive been really busy with it). Are we playing sunday? or we just doing a meet in and greet got a decent character idea about a guardian angel.  Basicaly a human that has a bit of the divine and is now "a pawn of heaven."

If we are playing whats the refresh? Like i said really sorry been gone for the last few days.

Ren dont worry, i made my living on active duty doing math, i was a combat engineer for 4 years then artillery for the last 8.

Bear i was thinking of having my character be xmilitary as well. seening how as they can end up anywhere, not to mention McDill AFB is right there and for stories sake some shady stuff could have been going on there.

bear: My wife tried to play back when we were dating (college about 9 years ago), if your GF is to shy i dont think i can get my wife to get down there tomorrow (shes using this time to go to HEB, Target ect.) but the possibility is she might show up once or twice, not to play but just to hang out.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:43:42 AM by zegion »
-They fought for their lives But most of them died

-The angels were crying, As they carried his brothers away. With the fire raining down And the Hell all around
There were few men left standing that day.

Big & Rich 8th of November.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2011, 03:46:25 AM »
coming a little late to the party as ive been out of the loop for awhile (picked up a new post for NG and ive been really busy with it). Are we playing sunday? or we just doing a meet in and greet got a decent character idea about a guardian angel.  Basicaly a human that has a bit of the divine and is now "a pawn of heaven."

If we are playing whats the refresh? Like i said really sorry been gone for the last few days.

Ren dont worry, i made my living on active duty doing math, i was a combat engineer for 4 years then artillery for the last 8.

Bear i was thinking of having my character be xmilitary as well. seening how as they can end up anywhere, not to mention McDill AFB is right there and for stories sake some shady stuff could have been going on there.

bear: My wife tried to play back when we were dating (college about 9 years ago), if your GF is to shy i dont think i can get my wife to get down there tomorrow (shes using this time to go to HEB, Target ect.) but the possibility is she might show up once or twice, not to play but just to hang out.

It's looking like whoever is actually running the game(s) the power levels could be all over the place, but I hear 7 refresh most often.

I think it is just a meet and greet.  Probably to establish groups and start setting up the city(ies).

I think the idea of an x military type who is now beholden to heaven pretty good.  Kind of like the priest in "The Warrior"... but less crazy.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »
Good to hear form you Zegion, was beginning to worry you'd dropped off the face of the earth!
Arty man eh? Fine, you can do all the math...8)

Today is just a meet and greet to see how many people have interest, figure out group(s) and scheduling and hopefully do some city and character-creation.

Of note, it be an interesting take if everyone is ex-military then you could have all met a the local VA or even some local event or at the very least have a good reason to come together as a group...and to be apart for those that can't make it regularly.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »

Meeting is in a little over an hour!

Be there.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »
COOL to meet everyone. Sorry if I seemed kinda out of it, I am just now learning all this RPG stuff. Also that store is like nerd paradise, I stayed an extra 20 minutes just looking at comics afterward.
Gonna see if I can work Sat instead of Sundays, or work 8-4 sundays from now on

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2011, 01:47:06 AM »
Looks like it will be a good group of folks, even if considerably larger than I'd normally run, but I think I can manage it.
It occurs to me that in certain situations I could even have someone co-Gm who is possibly involved in downtime actions, especially in situations where there just needs to be a resolution and not so much a role-play thing.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2011, 07:13:19 AM »
COOL to meet everyone. Sorry if I seemed kinda out of it, I am just now learning all this RPG stuff. Also that store is like nerd paradise, I stayed an extra 20 minutes just looking at comics afterward.
Gonna see if I can work Sat instead of Sundays, or work 8-4 sundays from now on

That would be fantastic.

It's looking like we are going to cover a lot of ground very quickly if our schedule is up to snuff and stays the way we envision it.

I'm stoked that we could potentially have such an engaging story in a relatively short amount of time.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2011, 02:45:45 AM »
Keep u s posted
Bad typists untie!!!!