Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 80695 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Gamers looking for Groups? (ATX)
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »
As this will be my first time running the game I'd like to keep the power level limited until I can get a handle on the system and such. Eventually it will upgrade but not to start with. Chest-Deep is good enough to make a wizard so a Focused Practitioner shouldn't be an issue, but you may have to lose one of the Items of Power. I looked over the character you had posted but until I get a book to compare numbers I can't make any other calls.
Not so sure about the GF character; a were-pixie?...rofl, funny in thought but in practice...dunno. Have to think on that. Every game I've seen a pixie-type character played in they have annoyed the crap out of me. May have to add a compel "Can't fly when wings are wet"...(Its an Earthdawn thing).
Again these will not be finalized until after we meet and greet on Sunday.

Ok fair enough.  My reluctance comes from the fact that actually travelling to Hawaii is a large part of how my character gets his mojo.

I would be willing to even have a "static" character for a while who does not progress with everyone else until the refresh levels have caught up.

I've been working on this particular character as I've read the book now, and I know it sounds petulant, but I really have taken a liking to the concept. :)

My gf doesn't really care.  And I could probably just take a few of her abilities away to bring her down to the next refresh level.  Her character is not much of a combatant anyway.

I just thought that the idea of a grandson/grandaughter of Zeus having a kid with a fairy was a pretty funny and unique idea. :)

As for the annoying bit, both my gf and her character are painfully shy.  If anything, the character will play like a skulking, quiet, introverted sneaker.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2011, 08:17:18 PM »
Funnily I wrote up a concept today for an Asian Changeling Character who's father is the Thunder Dragon.
...Then there is the not-too-bright former White Court Virgin who's true love was murdered by her family for breaking her curse so now she hunts them with a vengeance...unfortunately the only tools in her arsenal are a lot of luck and a great fashion sense...8)

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to access the power; Pele has many names and can be many places...
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
ROFL...just had a great idea; a Were-Cat...turns into a common Household Cat. Then goes and makes cute with rich people until they let her into their homes, transforms back at night, steals all their stuff then switches again and sneaks out...a true "Cat-burglar"...8)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2011, 08:30:37 PM »
ROFL...just had a great idea; a Were-Cat...turns into a common Household Cat. Then goes and makes cute with rich people until they let her into their homes, transforms back at night, steals all their stuff then switches again and sneaks out...a true "Cat-burglar"...8)

That is pretty funny. :P  I am going to bring ideas like that up with my gf.  Honestly, I am not sure at this point if she will play.  She may be too shy.

As for the power thing...

If I started at a lower refresh rate, I'd have to leave open most of my fate points since most of my character's abilities are tied up in his deal with Pele.

Hmm.  ::me no likey::

Oh well, bitching about refresh rate and irritating the GM can wait until the weekend.  Maybe I can bring everyone snacks and they will be kind (and permissive) with me. :)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
You can tell her she'll be fine. I don't bite unless asked, and never another guys girl...8)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
You can tell her she'll be fine. I don't bite unless asked, and never another guys girl...8)

Lol ok I will let her know.

She's more worried right now about the math and the system.

This will be the first RPG either of us plays in but I have the geeky background for a smoother transition. :P

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »
There's math?
*panics*
This system has the least math I've ever seen and I've been playing/running games for almost 30 years...8)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2011, 01:33:54 AM »
There's math?
*panics*
This system has the least math I've ever seen and I've been playing/running games for almost 30 years...8)

That's one of the reasons I wanted to start with this system... well, that and my fanboi love of the Dresden Files series.... :P

BTW, I think your idea for starting everyone at different power levels is really gritty and cool.

I've talked to my gf more, and she says she doesn't care what she plays as except she wants to be really little.  So... ::shrug::

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2011, 05:16:37 AM »
Good luck ya'll!!
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing folks on Sunday!

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
Looking forward to seeing folks on Sunday!

It will be epic.  It's looking like there will be a lot of people too.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2011, 07:06:10 PM »
Lucky me...lol.
Sadly the work printer I was using to print files crapped out after 1 run of the Themes and Threats but hopefully I otherwise have enough packets for everyone. If not I'll get everyone's Email and send them out after wards.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
Lucky me...lol.
Sadly the work printer I was using to print files crapped out after 1 run of the Themes and Threats but hopefully I otherwise have enough packets for everyone. If not I'll get everyone's Email and send them out after wards.

IT would be neat if we could get some sort of mailing list for everyone who shows up.

If all the people show up who said they were going to, we should have enough people to form two groups easily.

Since we will be presumably gaming at the same place (Dragon's Lair) the GMs could maybe even organize epic crossovers to mix things up.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
We shall see. There were some folks here and in other places who haven't posted back in a bit so I dunno how many will actually show up...could get crowded with only 1 table available...8P

In the meantime I'll be looking over my own character concepts, in case I get to play instead of run...8)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
HAd a couple of thoughts for you Bear, well one for you one for your GF...

I may have a nemesis of the Were-Pixie...a 14-year old boy who runs around with a butterfly net and a mason jar muttering something about Needing an extra life...8) (Yes this is obviously intended to be humorous, but I may consider making something like this but with a much more sinister edge...who couldn't find a use for pixie-blood?
After reading through your thread about the two characters I have had some other thoughts as well;
For her I'd say limit her to a Fae Changeling or an Olympian Changeling but not both. A three-way tie for the soul doesn't make a lot of sense from the standpoint that it doesn't seem like it would physically be possible. She could have had a half-Fae mother and half-Olympian father, but at that point the human half would be far more overwhelming and the overall power would be kind of diluted. I also think it may be too confusing for her as a first-time gamer. For the setting I have in mind an Olympian Changeling would fit beautifully.

For your character I might allow the Refresh 10 with a few caveats; Only 35 skill points (As if Chest-Deep power level)
- All of your supernatural powers except the Wizard Health are tied to the Hook. If you lose it you have NO supernatural powers at all. This would count as a +3 Catch.
- In addition if the Hook is ever Lost or Stolen you will have an automatic Compel to drop whatever you are doing to look for it. This can range from the "Stop! I dropped my hook on the ground, help me find it!" to "My nemesis has stolen my Hook and is going to melt it down.". This will not apply if you are still in close proximity (20' x Discipline Modifier) to the Hook, even if not in possession of it (You will know when you are within close proximity to the Hook.). You can of course spend a Refresh to cancel this effect for a number of hours equal to your Discipline Modifier; -1 cumulative for each time the refresh has been used for this purpose. 
- I'm also thinking about adding on a "Punishment Clause" where you have to perform some kind of Painful Obeisance to Pele to Reactivate the Hook's powers; typically will involve some form of self-mutilation by fire. Between the above Catch and Compel with this Clause it would cover the +5 you would need to have an effective refresh of 10. 
Note: As Pele is also an island Goddess I'm thinking a Catch related to being in water isn't really going to work, but again we can talk about it on Sunday.