Author Topic: How to create a Banshee  (Read 1508 times)

Offline osteomancer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
How to create a Banshee
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »
I was curious how do people think one would go about making a Banshee (Baen Sidhe)? So far I think maybe Incite Emotion (Memento Mori) but I am curious on people's opinions.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Re: How to create a Banshee
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »
Breath Weapon [-2] is ear splitting screech.

Maybe allow it to attack with Performance and allow Performance blocks.  Maybe make it a [-4] power and allow it to attack zones (maybe only zones?) as well as the Performance attack and allowing it to be more diverse.

Alternatively (and I hate to suggest this) you could do Air Channeling to allow for a block like the "magic grapple block."  Block against action that also inflicts 1 shift of stress per exchange.

Whatever you do, the banshee must be pale and look like she was just drowned...  (Human Guise?).

Maybe a Feeding Dependency that is sated by killing people with her cry?

Is this for a PC?  If so, the killing people might be a no-no.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline osteomancer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
I am looking at this for potential NPC usage but I am making a changeling PC based on having a Banshee mother.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:17:54 PM »
Some sort of precognition focused on death.  Glamour, at least the minor version.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »
Supernatural Sense for Death, Air Channeling or Breath Weapon, etc. All sound good.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:01:42 AM »
Your classic banshee doesn't cause death so much as portend its coming. She can appear as a beautiful maid, a washer woman, or a hag. Likewise, her voice can sound lovely or loathsome. In many myths, banshees were tied to particular families and would cry out just for those families.

Sounds to me like she needs the ability to foresee death, the ability to sing, and some talent with glamours. Add in an Aspect related to being tied to a particular family if you wish, and you should be pretty well solid gold.

I'm pretty sure I recall reading a myth that involved a banshee that flew around the roof of a house, ducking in and among the eaves. So flight doesn't sound totally out of the question.

Some myths use banshees somewhat interchangeably with mermaids, which are themselves nearly interchangeable with sirens. If you wanted to stretch things a bit, you wouldn't be totally off base to add in an ability to incite emotions (probably lust).

If you wanted to go totally weirdzo, you could make your lust inspiring banshee the daughter of a Raith and a Sidhe. The family she "haunts" are the offspring of a White Court virgin who found love before lust and went on to become human. Now she spends her immortal life mourning the deaths of her cousins.