Author Topic: Sleep Spell question  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Chris M

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep Spell question
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 10:19:19 PM »
Why not just treat it as a block?

"My sleep spells block him from taking any action."

And it is opposed by an appropriate mental-type skill.

6-8 shifts of block would be good against most enemies, while tougher and more mentally powerful foes would require 10+ shifts.

-EF

Yep

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
That's also a potentially valid option, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »
So you are saying that you could make a spell to block someone for 8 hours or so, without pumping fate points into it? If so that seems better (this is subjective of course) than the Blinding spell example in the rule books. That spell said it placed the aspect blind on the target. (YS298)

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 09:12:04 AM »
Again, I think duration depends on the context you're casting the spell. If you were trying to help someone sleep I'd say 15 minutes was the standard duration and so with a few shifts for duration 8 hours would be possible. If you're sending someone to sleep that wouldn't want to sleep then the standard duration would be a few moments or half a minute as they doze off. People don't fall asleep naturally mid-combat so the duration would be in exchanges or dealt as a consequence.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
So you are saying that you could make a spell to block someone for 8 hours or so, without pumping fate points into it? If so that seems better (this is subjective of course) than the Blinding spell example in the rule books. That spell said it placed the aspect blind on the target. (YS298)

Yes, you could. In one exchange, cast the spell at the required shifts of power, and use the next few exchanges to pump duration into it.

Also, the difference between a sleep spell and a blind spell is that sleep negates ANY action while asleep, while blinding is just a hindrance. Hence the tagable aspect.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »
The OP wanted help on a Thaumatugical Sleep spell. Those can't be cast in conflicts right?

JesterOC

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Some GM's allow it if the Lore skill is high enough to cover prep and so forth. I personally think it should only be allowed if there is already a prepared ritual, or if they are willing to prepare it in combat over a number of exchanges.

However, sponsored magic can allow people to cast thaumaturgical effects at evocation speed and it's also possible to imagine a sandman style character that uses sleep as his channelling 'element'.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 11:34:29 PM »
The OP wanted help on a Thaumatugical Sleep spell. Those can't be cast in conflicts right?

JesterOC

They sure can be. You just have to gather up the necessary amount of shifts one exchange at a time. Also, if you botch a roll, you have to take backlash/fallout for each shift you've accumulated up to that point.

See YS270-271.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 12:43:07 AM »
They sure can be. You just have to gather up the necessary amount of shifts one exchange at a time. Also, if you botch a roll, you have to take backlash/fallout for each shift you've accumulated up to that point.

Except that you'd also have to do the prep, as stated above. If the Complexity doesn't exceed your Lore, then you own the required components, but unless your in a fight in your own house you probably don't have them on you.
    Not without a suitable explanation anyway (such as Harry always carrying the components for his tracking spell).

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
   Except that you'd also have to do the prep, as stated above. If the Complexity doesn't exceed your Lore, then you own the required components, but unless your in a fight in your own house you probably don't have them on you.
    Not without a suitable explanation anyway (such as Harry always carrying the components for his tracking spell).

This is true. However, if you're constantly throwing this spell on people, it's a safe bet to say you have what you need on you. Of course, the sleep spell could be done as an evocation instead, and not worry about the components. Probably gonna end up taking some extra stress to cast a block powerful enough...but that's what you get for a daily power...sorry, used to play 4e, couldn't help myself  ^_^;;

-EF
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Nomad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
Rose Petals.

I miss ADnD :(
Waiting eagerly for the day when Arry will enchant a fluorescent tube lamp and use it as a lightsaber.

Quote from: Archangel62
Magically speaking he may be a thug, but tactically speaking...he's the cast of looney tunes after a few bong hits.