Author Topic: Reaper Redux  (Read 6533 times)

Tbora

Reaper Redux
« on: July 03, 2010, 11:46:05 PM »
Okay this thread is for a reworking of my mordite scythe wielding grim reaper style "Servant of Death" character.

I want this  to be done with 18 Refresh, 60 skill points, capped at Fantastic.

So here is what I got so far.

[-1] Marked by Power
[-1] Living Dead
[-6] Mythic Speed

[+1] Feeding Dependency (Death) effecting;
[-4] Supernatural Toughness
[+2] Holy Stuff

Death's Scythe:
[+2] Item of Power effecting;
[-2] Ritual (Ectomancy)
[-2] Refinement (Extra Item Slots)
[-1] True Aim (As the Sword of the Cross power of the same name)
[-3] All Things Die (As of the Sword of the Cross power 'All Things Are Equal Before God')

Total Refresh Left: 3 (or for practical purposes 2 in regards to what I can further spend.)

Enchanted Item
Mordite Scythe Blade (Weapon: 10 attack with Weapons, thirteen times per session) [12 Item Slots]

So I need to ideas to what I can spend the last of the refresh on.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:48:28 AM by Tbora »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Reaper Redux
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:49:40 AM »
That doesn't quite work, you need to add Ritual (Ectomancy) either to the character or the item or he can't have Item Slots at all.

I also reccomend Inhuman Recovery so he can actually heal on his own (assuming the GM rules that it trumps Living Dead, which it should, IMO).

And, when I've got more time, I might redesign the Scythe to work with Lore at Fantastic, which would be even nastier, if you like.

Tbora

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 03:00:03 AM »
Okay I added in the ectomancy (and adjusted the refresh cost accordingly.), and as for the recovery power, for one of his aspects I am going to have a "friend of the mortician" thing who will hook him up with repairs when he is not in the middle of a battle.His sheer amount capability to lay out the smackdown along with his supernatural toughness should be enough to see him through until he can get repairs.That said I'll take Inhuman Recovery if you think its absolutely necessary.Personally I'd rather invest it in say extra refinement, and make the scythe last longer and be even deadlier, but that is just me.

And yeah if you have time, can you change the scythe to be even nastier with the correspondingly higher lore?

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »
Looks like you are assuming superb (+5) lore.  You get 4 enchanted item slots from ritual, and then 8 more from refinement.

So the exact magic item slot breakdown for the scythe looks like this:
base:
weapon 5 1/ session (1 slot)

Use another 5 slots for more power ->
Power 10 1/session (6 slots total so far)

Then use another 6 slots for frequency ->
Power 10 13/session (12 slots total)

-------

So with a fantastic (+6) lore, you could save 1 enchanted item slot for something else, like this:
base:
weapon 6 1/ session (1 slot)

Use another 4 slots for more power ->
Power 10 1/session (5 slots total so far)

Then use another 6 slots for frequency ->
Power 10 13/session (11 slots total)

-------
or up the base damage by 1 (to weapon: 11) or up the frequency by 2 (to 15/session)

Tbora

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:34:06 AM »
Here is the character stats;

Fantastic: Lore, Weapons
Superb: Athletics, Endurance
Great: Alertness, Intimidation, Stealth
Good: Conviction, Discipline, Contacts
Fair: Survival, Presence, Guns, Presence, Fists
Average: Might, Deceit, Investigation, Burglary, Driving, Resources,Performance

EDIT: Can  you show me how it would look with two more refinements, and then with one more refinement.

My reasoninging being I am either going to take 2 levels of refinement further, or take riposte and a single level of refinement.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 04:38:30 AM by Tbora »

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 04:40:26 AM »
Just to be clear, you know Mordite is beyond our reality?  It does more than just kill people I think, but completely annihilates them and is an anathema to everything in our reality.  A guy with a Mordite-based weapon seems more like a servant of the outsiders rather than something remotely "natural."  IMHO.

Tbora

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 04:47:01 AM »
1) Mordite is not from beyond the Outer Gates, its from the farthest reaches of the Nevernever, according to the books.
2) He serves Death, as in the Grim Reaper, Mordite aka Death Stone, is not something he would have a problem with, serving well Death Incarnate.

Offline Esoteric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 04:49:10 AM »
1) Mordite is not from beyond the Outer Gates, its from the farthest reaches of the Nevernever, according to the books.

You sure about this? I thought the mistfiend, or whatever the heck it was called was from the depths of Nevernever.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:29:10 AM »
IIRC, you can only make an item with total power = to 2 times your lore, and the max number of slots for a staff sized item is 12.  So you are almost as far as you can go on the scythe already.

If you absloutely must add more power, you can trade use the other point of refinement for a +1 crafting strength focus item (and have the other 'half' of your refinement point left over)

So it'd look like:
Base:
weapon 7 1/ session (1 slot)
----
weapon 12 1/session (another 5 slots)
----
13/session (another 6 slots)

total 12 slots

Tbora

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »
The lore rule is not an issue, as he is not the creator of the scythe, the Grim Reaper is, who handed him the weapon as a symbol of his authority and a tool to wield against those the Reaper sets him against.Think of it like a Warden's Sword.

So how would it be done, assuming his Lore was not a limitation for how powerful it can be?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 05:49:29 AM »
2) He serves Death, as in the Grim Reaper, Mordite aka Death Stone, is not something he would have a problem with, serving well Death Incarnate.

Don't know where you got that idea.  From Death Masks:

"You do not understand, Miss Rodriguez," Ortega said quietly. "Mordite is not from this galaxy or this universe. It is not of our reality."

I had reservations about Ortega's presence on the home-team roster, but I nodded. "It's from Outside. It's … congealed antilife. A chip of this stuff makes nuclear waste look like secondhand smoke. Being near it draws the life off you bit by bit. If you touch it, it kills you. Period."

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »
Mordite Scythe

[+2] one-time discount
It is what it is: weapon 4
[-2] Souleater: by spending a Fate point, the wielder can have the scythe deal mental stress when striking living beings for that encounter as it sucks the life out of them. This however loosens the bindings upon the Mordite that is the scythe's material and the wielder (or anyone touching the scythe) is affected by Obliteration (see below)
[-6] Deathstrike: the scythe's blade gives +6 attack power. The scythe's handle gives +6 to weapon skill offense. (this is priced as refinement spent on foci with the scythe being two foci, assuming a Lore of fantastic for the item's creator, applying a focus bonus on weapons instead of magic)
[-3] Obliteration: a living target hit by the scythe, assuming it survives, still must roll defense vs the attacker's modified weapon skill at every exchange and take stress as the wound dealt continues to leech their life. This continues until the target is obliterated or very powerful magic is used to break the process. (based on venomous, only a bit nastier)

So, even without lowering the bindings, it is Weapon 10 at Ungodly (+12) skill and someone hit that survives must roll vs Ungodly (+12) difficulty every exchange and take  stress until they crumble to dust. If you spent a fate point for Souleater, they crumble to dust that much faster (usually instantly) but unless you're dead or something, you crumble to dust as well.
(this is how I'd do the statting for real mordite, not something that merely mimicks its effects to an extent. One hit and you die, no ifs and buts.)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
EDIT: Can  you show me how it would look with two more refinements, and then with one more refinement.

My reasoninging being I am either going to take 2 levels of refinement further, or take riposte and a single level of refinement.

I'd go with the second.

That said, at 16 tem Slots, and assuming it was created with an effective Lore of 8 by the Grim Reaper (as high as I'd allow even a God's Lore to be):

Mordite Scythe Blade (Weapon: 16 attack with Weapons, fifteen times per session) [16 Item Slots]

Tbora

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »
So here is the total build, all put together,

High Concept: ?
Trouble: The Grim Reaper Is My Boss, And He's A Real D-bag
Other Aspects: Death is my Bread and Butter; My Scythe Kills Things - Period.;?;?;?

Skills

Fantastic: Athletics, Weapons
Superb: Alertness, Endurance
Great: Lore, Intimidation, Discipline
Good: Conviction, Presence, Stealth
Fair: Survival, Guns,  Fists. Contacts, Empathy
Average: Might, Investigation, Burglary, Driving, Resources,Performance, Deceit

Powers:

[-1] Marked by Power
[-1] Living Dead
[-6] Mythic Speed

[+1] Feeding Dependency (Death) effecting;
[-4] Supernatural Toughness
[+2] Holy Stuff

Death's Scythe:
[+2] Item of Power effecting;
[-2] Ritual (Ectomancy)
[-3] Refinement (Extra Item Slots)
[-1] True Aim (As the Sword of the Cross power of the same name)
[-3] All Things Die (As of the Sword of the Cross power 'All Things Are Equal Before God')

Stunts:

[-1] Riposte: On a successful defense with Weapons, you may sacrifice your next action to turn that defense into an immediate and automatically successful attack. Your attacker must be within range of your weapon, and if you’re mounting a full defense (YS199) you do not get the benefit of the +2 bonus when your defense roll converts to an attack roll.

Total Refresh Left: 1

Enchanted Item
Death's Scythe (Weapon: 16 attack with Weapons, fifteen times per session) [16 Item Slots]

Stress Tracks:
Physical: OOOO (OOOO) (+1 Additional Physical Mild Consequence)
Mental: OOOO
Social: OOOO
Hunger: OOOO
Armor: 2

I am not too sure about the stresses, so I'd like that checked over by someone if possible.

Also, I need some good aspects for this character. His character concept is a mortal who got murdered in a Quick n Stop gas station when he was in paying for a candy bar, and for reasons unknown to him instead of heading to the afterlife like he should have, he was shanghaied into serving the Grim Reaper, given a Scythe of incredible power and hooked up with a new body (an old skeleton) as his previous one was cremated.Now he wields the Reaper's Scythe serving Death as the Demi-God's enforcer, killing those violate the dead, such as Black Court Vampires, Necromancers, and other such nasty pieces of work.

Also, as a side note, I'd like a general opinion of the character as a whole, in both his effectiveness, and him, staying true to his character concept as a whole mechanically.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:44:28 PM by Tbora »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »
Looks good mechanically, with the sole exception of him either needing to lose a box of Social Stress or raise his Presence to Good.

Also, you have Presence listed (and paid for) twice.

Additionally, you have no real Social Defense of any sort, if you don't want him to be easily persuaded I'd do something about that.

I'll get back to you on Aspects.