Author Topic: Question  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Joraus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Question
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:26:12 AM »
Okay so currently our group is having a session. We have a question.

We are playing at Waist-Deep

So the situation is that a PC, dual wielding Desert Eagles (Weapon 3), taking cover, is firing at a demon outside.

What happens, he rolls up to a legendary to hit, causing 9 physical stress.

We were just wondering, would this be fair?

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:35:13 AM »
Totally fair, he just gets a good shot off, Its the difference between shooting the demon in say, the shoulder, and nailing him in the center mass. After all, If I stab you in the toe, it'll do allot less damage than say, your eyesocket.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:39:03 AM »
Absolutely fair! If the demon rolls poorly on his defence and the player rolls well, that's how it goes. Of course, depending on how tough the demon is, it might have Recovery powers and return later.

Not to mention that demons form physical bodies out of the ether when they're summoned into our world. Destroying the demon's form doesn't kill it, it just sends it back to the Nevernever, where it can wait and grow in strength before returning for revenge...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:31:59 AM »
What they said. Shooting demons enough, and well enough, will pretty much ruin their day.

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »
Even magic has to do business with the law of physics.

Everyone gets lucky sooner or later, down side to this, everyone gets unlucky sooner or later.

But it  cool when someone does something heroic, and blows a large howl in the enemies of humanity.

I also recommend getting out of that waste deep level, it really cramp the style. Take a deep breath hold your nose
and get submerged.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »
I also recommend getting out of that waste deep level, it really cramp the style. Take a deep breath hold your nose
and get submerged.

Sometimes it's fun to be able to play a vanilla mortal or minor talent and not have to jack them full of custom abilities or multi class them just so they can compete with other characters.  You could also hold your nose, and dive to the site of the BP oil spill where every PC can go toe to toe with Cowl, Mab or Farrovax, but that just wouldn't be all that fun.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:35:17 PM »
Do note that some demons/ghosts/whatever could have Physical Immunity whose catch is supernatural attacks for 3 pts of Refresh. It won't matter if you shoot them in the eye or drop a nuke in their mouths; they simply ignore it.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »
Umm... it'd be 6 or 5 refresh.

Offline ahunting

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »
Do note that some demons/ghosts/whatever could have Physical Immunity whose catch is supernatural attacks for 3 pts of Refresh. It won't matter if you shoot them in the eye or drop a nuke in their mouths; they simply ignore it.

That's true. But i would hope in the Vanilla mortals game the GM would choose not to do that.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
Depends on whether the threat is meant to be killed, negotiated with, outsmarted, or evaded.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 04:02:16 PM »
Eh, Jim does it to poor Harry all the time.  

There are other ways to deal with a spirit.  The great thing about lower-powered games is that it's easier to provide a non-Apocalyptic threat that the PCs cannot beat through main force.  If the PCs need to deal with a ghost they might have to find an exorcist and protect him/her until the ritual is complete,  they may need to resolve the specter's issues before it corners them and rips them to shreds, it could be that a simple ring of salt will keep the spook at bay until dawn, etc.  
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.