Author Topic: Character Building Help  (Read 11552 times)

Tbora

Re: Character Building Help
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 03:42:07 AM »
What can this character build do, is it more effective then the previous one?That is can I still summon zombies on the fly?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:44:48 AM by Tbora »

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2010, 05:16:09 AM »
Mechanically, the character works fine and does indeed allow you to summon zombies on the fly.

The Cane would need Lawbreaker [-2], not just [-1], to work properly as a defense against gaining it yourself (which is a bit iffy mechanically...but you are the GM, so no big deal), so I'd ditch one of the other powers to pay for it.

I'm in a bit of a hurry, and don't have time to look over the Rotes in detail...but they look a little iffy at first glance.

Tbora

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 05:20:41 AM »
I can make the lawbreaker -2 get rid of demonic copilot and rewrite the rotes problem solved.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 05:35:35 AM »
The rotes wouldn't change except for the last one, which assumes you're in "demonic co-pilot" mode.

You have +5 conviction and +5 discipline

Necromancy control bonus is +1 from Kemmler, +2 from focus item, +1 from specialization, or +4

Spirit offensive Power bonus is +1 from specialization, +2 from focus item

Spirit defensive Power bonus is +1 from specialization

So for control shifts you have 5+4 as long as you're using necromancy influenced spirit attacks

For power shifts you have 5+3 as long as you're using offensive spirit power.

So your rotes can be 9 shifts of control if they're necromatic and offensive and 8 shifts of power as long as they're tied to the focus item.  So the rotes are all fine.

As for summoning undead on the fly, you'll have

necromancy control +1, +1, +2, +2
necromancy complexity +1, +2

so you'll have a base control of 11 and a base power of 8.  According to the book summoning and binding should take between 16 and 24 shifts of power.  So yes.  For one or two fate points and probably a 4+ mental stress attack on yourself and a little fallout you'll be able to summon undead on the fly. 

Tbora

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:08 AM »
how effective would you rate this character in combat assuming he has a half dozen zombie minions surrounding him?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »
Let's put it this way; the Harry Dresden in Storm Front writeup has Power 8 control 7 for fire spells, Power 9, Control 8 for when he aims to kill. This build can make effects 2 shifts stronger for normal spells and 3 shifts stronger for Lawbreaking stuff.

Yep, it's pretty strong. Not the most powerful combat-wise but one of the strongest for overall use. Remember, once you make and bind a zombie and assuming you put enough shifts for long-term control, there's no limit to how many of them you could have.

Tbora

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 05:58:44 AM »
And zombie win, especially if you have lots of them what with each being like the terminator.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 06:22:58 AM »
Naah. If an enterprising young wizard calls a 15-shift effect (taking backlash to control plus aspects), he could fry 3 zones for weapon 9 at control 10 or 12. If your undead army happens to be in those zones, bye-bye. Luckily, said wizard can only do that once.

That's why you keep half of the zombies as reserves and only send them in in waves to wear your opponent down.

Tbora

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
Galt, can you help me rewrite my last rote?

Also for the plot, perhaps my characters father is the demon yours made a deal with.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 04:28:09 PM »
Galt, can you help me rewrite my last rote?

Also for the plot, perhaps my characters father is the demon yours made a deal with.

Yeah.  Like that idea.  I'd probably make your rote a high shift maneuver like Cowls hex fog only it Applies a scene aspect that makes people more terrified of undead.

Tbora

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 04:35:17 PM »
Also how do you account for stronger undead, what if for a guest star I steal a mummy.With it 4000 years old, to quote dresden it would have power, power in spades.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »
You just put a lot more power into the ritual. And it will be a ritual-nobody could raise a mummy ten times as old as the oldest human zombie we've seen with a thaumaturgy as evocation.

Tbora

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
Of coarse, I plan for the mummy to be my characters ace in the hole.Sort of the strongest of his minions.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
Problem is, a 4000 year undead should have plenty of willpower. Will you be able to control?

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
Yeah.  As a player I'd be forced to compel his cntrl against your discipline and you'd lose him and he'd attack us.