Author Topic: Character Building Help  (Read 11535 times)

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Character Building Help
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »
I have absolutely no idea.  For some reason I was obviously using superb as +8... oh well.  Thanks for the corrections.  I edited it.  And it's still pretty powerful.  A weapon 9 for two mental stress and 10 shifts of summoning and binding power on the fly...  You'll still be able to summon and bind a spirit to an dead body for a couple fate points and some stress and/or consequences.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
That item of power would only be +1.  It's a small, concealable dagger.

And there's no real reason to bother with spirt focus items unless they are in defense.  You can throw necromancy at the speed of evocation as a Kemmlerite so just replace "force push" with "death knell" and all of the sudden your just as good at offensive evocation as you are at controlling zombies.

Except you dont use complexity at all for thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation. The Bonuses for it dont translate into extra shifts of power. You can use control (specifically via Kemmlerian Necromancy) instead of whatever bonuses to the element's control you are using to achieve the necromancy effect. So no, you arent quite as good at evocation as you are at calling up zombies (since you dont have any bonuses to your shifts of power for necromnacy based evocations), thats why I stacked it so high on Spirit Power, and Necromancy control.

Meh, the dagger can be as long as my forearm, then it'd work at +2.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 02:17:52 PM »
If you supercharge your necromantic attack spells, you can use Necromancy with your evocation bonuses if you could justify them being necromantic. I.e. a spell to eat the target's life-force would be both spirit attack and necromantic.

(at least that's how I think it works)

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »
Except you dont use complexity at all for thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation. The Bonuses for it dont translate into extra shifts of power. You can use control (specifically via Kemmlerian Necromancy) instead of whatever bonuses to the element's control you are using to achieve the necromancy effect. So no, you arent quite as good at evocation as you are at calling up zombies (since you dont have any bonuses to your shifts of power for necromnacy based evocations), thats why I stacked it so high on Spirit Power, and Necromancy control.

Meh, the dagger can be as long as my forearm, then it'd work at +2.

1. That's not how I'm reading it.  That's two separate aspects of the power.  Were that the case you'd need evocation just to use Seelie and Unseelie magic, since you can do entropomancy at the speed of evocation.  You can either supercharge your evocation with necromancy by using the necromancy control bonus instead or you can cast psychomancy and necromancy at the speed of evocation which are just statted and cast like a thaumaturgy spell only it happens at the speed of evocation.

2. True.  I'd prefer a kama though in that case.  More necromatic feeling in my opinion than a large dagger/short sword.

Tbora

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
So what am I looking at?

The math makes my head hurt.

What is the best way to have a badass necromancer?

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »
They're not much different.  Even if I'm wrong I wouldn't externalize kemmler necro.  Maybe a lawbreaker or two.  There's actually an example of that (blackstaff)

Tbora

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 03:39:11 PM »
So what should I go with, keeping in mind that I want zombie hoard master who is also pretty good  at evocation.Also have to fit this into a scion character.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
[-3] evocation (spirit +1)
[-3] thaumaturgy (necro complexity +1)
[-2] kemmler
[+1] father's dagger;
[-1] first law breaker
[-1] fifth law breaker

Focus items: +2 necromancy control, +2 offensive spirit power

Tbora

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
So what does that give me, and what are my limitations with this build?

Also would I be better of with a -2 for 5th law instead of a -1 on the 1st?

PS would I be better off I didn't bother with scion?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:05:49 PM by Tbora »

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »
Scion is fine... it just adds flavor and a different high concept.

You get 9 shifts of control and power for one mental stress for both summoning undead and necro-enhanced offensive spirit meant to kill.  If you want summon undead on the fly I'd do...

[+2] father's drum
[-3] fifth law breaker

Tbora

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
What kind of focus items would be thematically appropriate you think?

I am thinking a black iron cane covered in runes with a silver knob, but there has to be something cooler.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:42:31 PM by Tbora »

Tbora

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
Okay now I have a build, now I just need the stresses for this character and a couple rotes...

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »
Well the fact you want a demonic cane for a scion of a demon suggests to me one of the item of power's powers should be mark of power.  Plus it seems pretty silly to be a scion of a demon and not have that anyway.  You're concept is "getting out from under his father's thumb," after all.  Here's how I'd build him.

High Concept: Kemmlerite Bastard of a Demon Lord
Trouble: Under My Father's Thumb

Powers:
[-3] Evocation (Spirit Power +1)
[-3] Thaumaturgy (Necromancy Control +1)
[-2] Kemmlerian Necromancy
[+2] Demonic Pimp Cane;
[-1] Law Breaker (Fifth Law)
[-1] Marked by Power
[-1] Demonic Copilot

Skills:
Superb: Conviction, Discipline
Great: Lore, Deceit
Good: Endurance, Presence
Fair: Alertness, Athletics, Indimidation
Average: Weapons, Guns, Contacts, Resources, Burglary

Focus Items:

Silver Coin (+2 Necromancy control, +2 offensive spirit power)

Rotes:

Spirit Shield- Block 5- one mental stress

Death Bolt- Weapon 6 (tied to Silver Coin)- no mental stress

Soul Steal- Weapon 9 (tied to Silver Coin)- two mental stress

Gate to Hell- Weapon 12 (tied to Silver Coin, Demonic Co-Pilot)- 2 fallout, 4 mental stress

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:59:37 PM by John Galt »

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 09:31:42 PM »
Do i see this right ? you put the lawbreaker on the cane ?

How would that work? Lawbreaker is something you get from twisting your soul... you can't get rid of it simply by getting rid of an item... I would not allow this to be on an item of power.

Offline John Galt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »
Well...

1. This is a submerged las vegas game with really loose lawbreaking laws
2. This is a GMPC in a game that is supposed to be an extremely overpowered submerged game
3. The item is completely consistent with Dresden Lore.  The Blackstaff is clearly an item that gets lawbreaker powers applied to it instead of its user when it breaks the law.