Author Topic: The Search for Fudge Dice  (Read 3955 times)

Wzrd

The Search for Fudge Dice
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:59:06 AM »
Ok, I have the game and now need some dice.

Found that Fudge dice are not easy to find. I could not find any locally. Eventually found some on eBay, but they are rather bland compared to all the other Chessex dice I have.

Then I found some at Q-Workshop. They are a bit expensive but sure look pretty. Here's the link:

http://q-workshop.com/products.php?lang=EN&sell_type=DETAL&currency=EUR&category=Special Fudge-D6

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: The Search for Fudge Dice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:16:23 AM »
Those are some very nice dice but, as you say, a bit pricey.
A set of blank dice and a permanent marker will do just as well, but won't look anywhere near as good.
Depends on how far the budget will stretch.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline dwightfry

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:24:04 AM »
if your married to using fudge dice your gonna have to pay for em i have yet to find an inexpensive set anywhere. If I were going to run a sit down face to face game i'd just use the d6 - d6 suggested somewhere in the game  it create a +5 - -5 rsult but i can live with that and all you need are two differnt colored six sided dice

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:36:36 AM »
Blank dice that also come with stickers that you can hopefully run through your printer.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:39:50 AM »
Buy a copy of Betrayal.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline John Anderson

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:09:20 AM »
IPR is your fudge dice friend. However, the postage to Oz may be a deal breaker.
John

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
i got mine from an RPG shop on ebay. bought 4 sets with different colors for my players (there are almost no fudge dice based games in austria).

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
I prefer to go for the GM pack:

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/g/greyGhostGames/fudgeDice/v5748btpy7xd1&source=search

20 dice for less than 14 USD.

If they sell out, it's definitely worthwhile to search for the GM pack other places. But it for yourself or split it with your group. If you split it with four other people, you're paying less than 3 USD each for a set of Fudge dice.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
Or you could go to your local Big Box Mart, get some regular d6s and turn them into a set of Baby's First Fudge Dice. I had about twenty of those kicking around from when I was looking at Spirit of the Century. I'm pretty sure it was linked to from one of the developer's blogs or something like that.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Charlemagne XXXIII

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 05:33:58 PM »
Personally, my friends and I just use regular d6's. 1's and 2's are -, 3 and 4 are blank, and 5 and 6 are +. Sure, they aren't fudge dice, and it takes half a second to mentally convert them, but it works.

Offline aumshantih

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
Last session of my Purana game (Mythic India using FATE3.0), I decided on using this die mechanic:

Roll two dice, one positive and one negative. 
If you gain a +5 or a -5, it counts as a +0, *unless* a Fate Point is spent. 

It works pretty well - it's fast, and it makes the +/-5 situations to be a little less common - though went they occur it ends up being a bigger deal!

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 11:45:37 PM »
Or you could go to your local Big Box Mart, get some regular d6s and turn them into a set of Baby's First Fudge Dice.

I made a bunch of these and the permanent marker turned out to be less than permanent. If you're going to do that, I'd highly suggest using a clear finishing coat over the marker.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 12:54:43 AM »
Weird. I must have used a better permanent marker, because I never had that problem with mine.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 01:29:07 AM »
Weird. I must have used a better permanent marker, because I never had that problem with mine.

I tried with three different permanent markers, including an industrial grade one that took me a week to wash off my hands.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 01:30:46 AM »
I wonder if I had lower quality dice that were more porous?