Author Topic: Dresdenverse Aspects Compelathon  (Read 22389 times)

Offline pandakun

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Dresdenverse Aspects Compelathon
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2010, 05:50:48 AM »
Bind man of the gun

... reminds me a bit of "Kung Fu" meets a Euthanatos (don't beat me!). First time trying this out, so let's see what I can shake out:

You follow a calling to mete justice with a high calling that steers you and your instrument of retribution. You cannot see where it takes you until you're there, and your faith in its workings is such that you depend on it as much as it depends on you.

Invoke: You can find trouble on a moment's notice, often winding up in the right place at the right time.
Compel: You can't avoid a situation that you've been steered to, and often times what must be done is heavily obscured. You just have to take it on faith, man.

Here's one I always found enticing to try:
May you gain the notice of those in High Places

Offline Lord_Fizzle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2010, 05:59:38 AM »
May you gain the notice of those in High Places

Invoke: You know the right words to say in a given situation to get access to those who someone of your standing shouldn't normally have access to (Contacting the mayor of a city, walking into the mafia don's club without an invitation, etc.)

Compel:  The higher ups tend to notice you, weather you want them too or not.  You often attract the attention of those substantially more powerful or influential than you.

Next One: I am What Comes Around

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2010, 06:24:12 AM »
Next One: I am What Comes Around

You tend to mete out revenge and give people their just deserts, unfortunately this means you have an unfortunate habit of showing up too late.

Invoke: To gain bonuses when getting revenge, or giving someone 'what they deserve' after all "what goes around, comes around"

Compel: You arrive too late to stop whatever unfortunate event is taking place, now your only chance is to give the perpetrator what they deserve in response.

Next One: Shark in A Business Suit

Offline irishsara

• Lurker
  • Queen of Extreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
Shark in A Business Suit

You are a boardroom behemoth  and the top predator of the business world

Invoke: To gain bonuses when involved in social etiquette, avoiding social pitfalls and unwanted social obligations , or to catch a glimpse of a weakness in a social situation

Compel: You can never let a chance slide by to attack an enemy's perceived weakness when an enemy shows weakness. If there is blood in the water you strike.

Next One: I fought the Law ...

Offline Big Simon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 05:42:41 AM »
I Fought the Law...

You have a reputation as a rebel - or even a revolutionary.  People on the fringe tend to listen to you, and people in the mainstream tend to fear you.

Invoke:  You've come upon the clandestine meeting of a group of teenage werewolves, but your reputation precedes you.  They know who you are and are suitably impressed with your past.

Compel:  It's a crisis at the supermarket!  A rogue warlock has just summoned a frog demon into the vegetable isle, and you're the only one who can calm people down enough to keep them safe.  Unfortunately, due to recent news reports plastering your face all over the city, they're just as afraid of you as they are of the infernal amphibian.

Danced with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:23:39 PM by Big Simon »

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »
what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Actually I like this better as a Stunt. It's pretty similar to "No pain, no gain" in my opinion, but what the heck...

You are a though fellow. You are, because you have taken a beating. Often!

Invoke: You just know what to do in a brawl. You know how to take the punches so that they don't hurt that much. You know how to dish it out. Compel this for gaining the advantage in a fist fight and perhaps even when defending against attacks that surely will inflict Stress upon you.

Compel: You have become something like a pain junkie. It gives you a kick. You are known for seeking a fight and are sometimes reckless during it. This will pretty surely be compelled in any situation where you should better be looking to avoid a conflict, particularly if you are wounded at the time.

For as long as I know how to love...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2010, 01:52:54 PM »
For as long as I know how to love...
  I will survive.  Hey Hey!

Invoke: Your determination makes you a bit more resiliant than the average person when in social situations.  You might also see hope when alone in a situation

Compel: Once wronged by someone you are much more reluctant to forgive them.  If abandoned by a person then they may never be in your good graces again.

Here's one for a guy I'm working on.  Surely someone will get the movie reference.  One of my favorites  ;D
Charlie Bronson's always got rope.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »
Here's one for a guy I'm working on.  Surely someone will get the movie reference.  One of my favorites  ;D
Charlie Bronson's always got rope.

It's out of "The Boondock Saints" ... great movie.

When heading out for business you tend to go prepared, even if you tend to carry more stuff then you will need.

Invoke: You could use this to help you with any action you do, using non-combat gear. For Example: If you try to climb a building using your trusty rope that you have thrown onto the building ... , or when you want to catch cattle with your lariat.

Compel: In certain situations carrying all that gear will undoubtedly get you into trouble. For Example: When you crawl through that air vent and suddenly you and your partner are entangled in all that rope you brought, falling down into the midst of the lions den. Still ... pretty fun eh?

"Yesterday
all my troubles seemed so far away"

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:22:05 PM by Papa Gruff »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2010, 08:42:22 PM »
"Yesterday
all my troubles seemed so far away"

Today was looking to be such a good day. Then you got out of bed.
Invoke: Just about anything, as long as you can come up with an entertaining story about how the last time you had to do this it was so much harder. ("Sure, dueling a Denarian on the deck of a sinking fishing boat is hard--but at least I'm not on fire this time!") Or to deal with things related to your specific, troublesome past.

Compel: To have your old life catch up to you, or to have a seemingly-positive situation suddenly turn into an utter crapfest.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 09:28:35 PM »
boing ... you need to give us an Aspect Kordeth!

Offline Kordeth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
D'oh! Knew I forgot something.

Oh God, More Tentacles!

Offline Big Simon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
Since Kordeth didn't come up with one, I went with one from elsewhere in the thread...

Stacked Deck

You've always got an ace up your sleeve... but it seems like sometimes the bad guys do, too.

Invoke:  They think they've got you dead for rights.  What they don't know is you're carrying your blasting rod up your sleeve...

Compel:  Everything was in place.  Everything was working out just right.  But then the Red Court Vampire told you he knew all about your plans, and brought a few friends to back him up.

Pick one of the following, all quotes from movies:
Aspect One:  "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Aspect Two:  "Excuse me while I whip this out."
Aspect Three:  "I'm going to be a lady if it kills me."

(D'oh!  And while I was writing mine, he came up with one.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:41:10 PM by Big Simon »

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Ha ha ... Big Simon has to compell Kordeth's Aspect now too :P

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2010, 12:26:29 AM »
Aspect One:  "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Invoke: Use it in a social situation with a female to help in a seduction attempt, the girls all swoon for Bret.
Compel: Compel the character to hold a grudge when it would be more advantageous to cooperate.

Aspect Two:  "Excuse me while I whip this out."

Invoke: The character can at any time he's wearing at least something over his waist to declare that he has smuggled a weapon.
Compel: Compel the character to make an inappropriate sexual remark, even when doing something like hiding or trying to win the respect of the police chief (see the show Psych to see this in action)

Aspect Three:  "I'm going to be a lady if it kills me."

Invoke: Invoke to receive a bonus whenever doing something particularly un-ladylike such as socking a guy for making a rude comment.  Also as a bonus Invoke when the character takes down her hair or puts on her dress to prove "She was beautiful all along"
Compel: Compel the character to sock someone who suggests she is anything other than the model of feminine virtue.

Oh God, More Tentacles!

Invoke: The character can invoke whenever the villain is using multiple sources of attack (Tentacles, Zombies, what have you) to have more suddenly appear through a door or window, creating more monsters but also opening a new avenue of escape.
Compel: Have a here-to-fore unnoticed (Minion, Tentacle, Zombie) grab the character from behind or below beginning a grapple.

Ok, another TV reference.

"What is it?  It is...green."

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 02:30:36 AM »
Wow! Obscure enough to derail the thread for a week.

"What is it?  It is...green."
Invoke: Your knowledge of obscure TV trivia is legendary, invoke to make a witty but geeky comeback in a social situation.
Compel: Sometimes your knowledge is too obscure.  You are compelled to make a comment that no one else understands, effectively missing.

Every Day Matters