Author Topic: Teen witch character help  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Uncle Draggi

• Conversationalist
  • "It's nothing personal, just business."
    • View Profile
Re: Teen witch character help
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 10:16:09 AM »
Being an older guy who's been doing 'all this' for quite a while, your scenario sounds far, far too damn familiar!  Have the kid bring up an ancient God/dess of Love, or a Love/Lust 'Elemental'(?!) would be fine, especially if you made the being true to =ITS= 'time and place'!  "Love" as we know it =today= is =not= the same as it was in the past, especially the 'far past'.  What kids think of today, with all the crap on TV and romance novels, is just as foreign to entities of ancient times as some of the stuff on the SciFi channel is to us.  Not necessarily "better" or "worse" - just different.

For example, wasn't one of the Near Eastern goddesses, Inanna?, the Goddess of both Love =and= War?  How would that square with little Miss Fluff-Bunny's 'world-view'? ::)  Even if you didn't make the 'magical entity' "authentic" (whatever the hell that is), it could still trigger one hell of a 'reality check'! ;D

Uncle Draggi
"No, Pa, 'The Godfather' was not a comedy.  Why, what made you think it was?"
"Ohh, nothin'.  I was just .. wonderin', I guess.  Ya see, it wasn't a horse's head, an'.. ummm..."
(..eloquent shrug, then .. silence..)

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »
For example, wasn't one of the Near Eastern goddesses, Inanna?, the Goddess of both Love =and= War?  How would that square with little Miss Fluff-Bunny's 'world-view'? ::)  Even if you didn't make the 'magical entity' "authentic" (whatever the hell that is), it could still trigger one hell of a 'reality check'! ;D

Uncle Draggi

Ooh yeah, that would also include Astarte/Ashtaroth/Ishtar (or however it's spelled), whom the fluffy-bunnies have horribly warped into the "Goddyss uv LURVE N WYMYN'S YMPOAHMYNT!!1111" (Women's empowerment, for those not familiar with fluffeese, since they seem to like to spell things wierdly. Somehow spelling "women" with a "Y" in place of the vowels is more feminine and "less offensive". I find it an offense to the rules of good spelling). :: Rubs hands gleefully, the eeevil thoughts getting more eeeeeeevil::
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:23:46 PM by Morraeon »

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »
Or she could someone like eros/cupid  who forces people to fall in love.  I always found that a bit twisted
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
Ooh yeah, that would also include Astarte/Ashtaroth/Ishtar (or however it's spelled), whom the fluffy-bunnies have horribly warped into the "Goddyss uv LURVE N WYMYN'S YMPOAHMYNT!!1111" (Women's empowerment, for those not familiar with fluffeese, since they seem to like to spell things wierdly. Somehow spelling "women" with a "Y" in place of the vowels is more feminine and "less offensive". I find it an offense to the rules of good spelling). :: Rubs hands gleefully, the eeevil thoughts getting more eeeeeeevil::
Even better, instead of a 'love elemental' she summons a succubus!!! :)
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 02:09:41 AM »
For example, wasn't one of the Near Eastern goddesses, Inanna?, the Goddess of both Love =and= War?  How would that square with little Miss Fluff-Bunny's 'world-view'? ::) 
Uncle Draggi

re-read Midsummer's Night Dream as another option, although I like the Goddess of Love and War.  What a juicy, lovely, thought provoking ideal and not far from reality......  :-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »
re-read Midsummer's Night Dream as another option, although I like the Goddess of Love and War.  What a juicy, lovely, thought provoking ideal and not far from reality......  :-)

I guess the motto of Astarte, Inanna, and (I think) the Morrigan would be "Make love *AND* war."

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 03:15:32 AM »
Nah, love is war   and from Smallville, "and you get to sleep with the enemy"   :D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »
Maybe you should have her run up against a Ganconer, a nasty denizen of Faery that likes to seduce young women. It could be the male version of a Leansidhe, which in legend sucks the vialiaty out of its human lovers.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
Maybe you should have her run up against a Ganconer, a nasty denizen of Faery that likes to seduce young women. It could be the male version of a Leansidhe, which in legend sucks the vialiaty out of its human lovers.

I was aiming towards an incubus, but this is an even better idea, since a lot of the fluffies tend to be into "faery magick", whilst forgetting that the faery are all too often not exactly like Tinkerbell...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
On the topic of grounding her worldview without insulting the Wiccan faith as a whole, your best bet is to have the skeptic be at least somewhat knowledgeable about a more rounded view of it, so that he will be able to poke holes into her warped logic.  

How intelligent is this bunny character?  I mean, when i hear fluffy-bunny "hug's can heal everything" type, my mind goes immediately to the airheaded moonbeam slightly vacant look in the eyes stereotype.  If she is too dense it will be hard for her to follow his rational long enough for it to seep in (but that might give some humorous opportunity for him to have to internally force patience on himself; counting to ten, etc)  but if she's too smart, she may have already worked up a more elaborate justification system for herself.  
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 09:08:23 PM »
I was aiming towards an incubus, but this is an even better idea, since a lot of the fluffies tend to be into "faery magick", whilst forgetting that the faery are all too often not exactly like Tinkerbell...
Perhaps even have her 'worship' the fae to an extent...you know, like the goths who worship vampires? Call them 'the lonely ones' and think they've been ostracised by society.

A fae 'fangurl', is what I'm getting at.....possibly even have it manipulate her, so she gets herself in deeper while thinking it's her friend...before her bubble is burst.??
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »
Perhaps even have her 'worship' the fae to an extent...you know, like the goths who worship vampires? Call them 'the lonely ones' and think they've been ostracised by society.

A fae 'fangurl', is what I'm getting at.....possibly even have it manipulate her, so she gets herself in deeper while thinking it's her friend...before her bubble is burst.??
I like that.  She goes all off on the fairy blessings and and midnight dancing and whatnot, thinking they are all happy little lgihts that have nothing better to do that help her with all things in her life great and small, not realizing there is a balance and a price to everything.  Then gets ahold of a real spell that is way out of her league...  Plot ensues. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
I like that.  She goes all off on the fairy blessings and and midnight dancing and whatnot, thinking they are all happy little lgihts that have nothing better to do that help her with all things in her life great and small, not realizing there is a balance and a price to everything.  Then gets ahold of a real spell that is way out of her league...  Plot ensues. 
Hmm.. I like it.
May I keep it?
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
Hmm.. I like it.
May I keep it?
  :) Fine by me, unless Morraeon wants it.  Her (his?) thread and all.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 09:20:43 PM »
  :) Fine by me, unless Morraeon wants it.  Her (his?) thread and all.
Damn it, they got me with their legal mumbo jumbo.
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God