Author Topic: group composition  (Read 14673 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: group composition
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 12:08:33 AM »
I'm curious Fred. Is Warden status going to be an official title, skill, or stunt, or just taken as an Aspect?
It's just a job. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:04 AM »
What is the reccomended group size? At what point do you think it would become difficult to run a game?

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »
At least for previous iterations of FATE, in my experience you tend to want a group that's a little smaller than for some other RPGs, since each player can do so much stuff through the Fate point economy. I'd prefer 3-4 players, I'd be fine with 2 (Fate works great with small groups) and I don't think I'd be able to pull off GMing more than 5 (even that would be a bit of a stretch for me), but I'm sure other people have different preferences.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
What is the reccomended group size? At what point do you think it would become difficult to run a game?

5 or 6 players is about the most I'd want in the way of moving parts.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »
Hmm, I plan to start of as a GM but then switch off in the process after we get used to the system.

So...
from what I can tell I'll be getting a
WCVirgin/Vamp, couldn't tell with this one immediatly, vamp fans are very fleeting when I bring the multiple types of DF to them, but I think the 'sex -crazed' idea finally reeled her in.
Most Definately a Were-Wolf, basicly an Alpha/Billy clone  :-\
A vanilla, heavy-guns merc
and, some type of light-magical talent human, not a full blown wizard, but there is a lot of space inbetween that and vanilla

and then there is me, I plan on being a city-wise, street pally, gunning for a Sword of the Cross, here!

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »
Unfortunately, more than half the people I may be playing with when TDFRPG comes out haven't read the books or seen the show :(

In all I should have 2 groups of players and will be able to play as a PC...eventually.

My best estimate of characters by my estimate will probably be thus:

Group 1

1. The Last Disciple of Thor (Emissary of Power)
2. A White Court Vampire of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (A major group in Magical Spokane)
3. Maybe a Were-form
4. A Champion of God
5. A Magic-User of Some kind
6. A Spokane Special Investigator

Group 2

1. The Emissary of the new God (The Internet ala Neil Gaiman) featuring the Aspect "Pirates vs. Ninja"
2. A Panwere of most likely Bear, Moose and whatever animal is the silliest
3. A Wizard or 2. I remember rumblings of a Wizard/Sorcerer who makes stupid amounts of money as a Product Liability Lawyer.
4. A Warden with an aspect like "I AM THE LAW!!!" who uses a lot of gray magic because he (the player) doesn't fully understand the Laws of Magic or care about them and expects to get away with it.
5. A Changling child of a Big Bad Wolf (A type of Fairy that wears skin suits like Red Court that hunt in packs) or at least I hope I get one after I spring it on them and kill one of the PCs. Hopefully that stupid Warden. 
6. A focused practitioner of something that never occurred to any of us.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
A Changling child of a Big Bad Wolf (A type of Fairy that wears skin suits like Red Court that hunt in packs)

That sounds cool.  My son was bouncing a similar idea off me a couple of days ago.  I put him off hoping to do a little research first.  Is this based on any 'real' stories or is this something you're making up right now.  Do you have any ideas on how you want to do it?
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »
An Emissary of Power representing the internet, god I love this forum.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:16:37 PM »

The collective conciousness as a developed power.  Talk about gods having a sense of humor, lol.  I think this might trump Bob as a spirit of intellect though.

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 10:18:52 PM »
The collective conciousness as a developed power.  Talk about gods having a sense of humor, lol.  I think this might trump Bob as a spirit of intellect though.

Maybe not, if you considered the intelligence of the couciousness to not be conjuctive and instead use the mean of all the intelligences that make it up, if you look at it this way, Bob is a much better alternative.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 10:22:47 PM »

But very distractable and prone to angry outbursts...  ::)
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Ancalagon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 12:46:50 AM »
Hmmm...

My gf (an avid fan of the series but an inexperienced gamer) wants to be a white court vampire dressed in rubber... with a pet ewok.
A friend is considering a spell caster of some sort
The other said "could I be a wild mage?!?"
And the fourth one I have no idea.

... this is going to be an interesting game...

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 01:26:32 AM »
That sounds cool.  My son was bouncing a similar idea off me a couple of days ago.  I put him off hoping to do a little research first.  Is this based on any 'real' stories or is this something you're making up right now.  Do you have any ideas on how you want to do it?

This comes from the G-men, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. Specifically Little Red Riding Hood and similiar stories. It was only logical that they would be fairies and have some disguise feature similiar to to the stories. In one of those stories they would dupe goats by covering their claws and fur with chalk, so i.e. they make their own disguises.

The skin suit thing is partially inspired by The Village and partial by the Red Court. Why should vamps get all the cool powers?

Why don't they just use Glamours?

To scare the S&#% out of my players with Predator flashbacks....

I want them to be like the Wolves in the story, disguised as long as possible to lure in their prey and then to wolf out and pounce. Looking at the stories you could run them so they prefer Virgins and probably rape them and wait until they give birth to a "litter" before they eat them.

You could also  run them as just Fairy Bipedal Wolves with a disguise feature if you don't want to go that dark.

The hunting in packs comes from logic also. The stories are traditionally about Lone Wolves, but if you want to scare players you use packs since wolves hunt in packs.

But you can also make them scarier....

I toyed with the idea that their skin suits can also be like body armor and the suits are only vulnerable to stone rather than cold iron. This comes from the stories that always ends with someone getting eaten and then the food getting rescued from the stomach and the stomach being filled with stones so the wolf would drown in the well when he went for water. Though if you think about it, if it's a fairy, its ectoplasmic body in the real world would dissolve if it was thrown into a body of water which keeps with lore.

This idea came from Neil Gaiman's American Gods which has new Gods emerging like The Internet, Johnny Appleseed, etc. My brother thinks that old gods are always becoming dormant and new gods are always being born.

Though the collective unconscious and the Akashic Records would also work.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Ancalagon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 04:33:14 AM »
There are a lot of cool ideas in "alternate" comic books...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hawksmoor_%28comics%29   the "king of cities".  He can walk around barefoot because there is never any glass where he happens to step, masonry will fall on his enemies etc.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Sparks : the spirit of the 20th century (... oh yeah...)

etc etc.

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 06:20:58 AM »
It seems at this point for my group we are going to have-

-A wizard  hiding his true talents from the white council due to a 'darkside'
-A red-court infected who is tortured with guilt and hates his desire to feed on people (possibly religious before infection)
-A changeling with lieange tied to the Winter Court. The player has expressed a strong desire for 'Sparkly Wings' :D
- A magic sword toting, gun wielding, human mercenary who cares for little beyond payment.