Author Topic: Novel Ideas  (Read 7994 times)

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Novel Ideas
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:11:17 AM »
Okay. Nanowrimo is coming up in 4 months and I don't have an idea for a novel.  Any ideas where I can get some?  It sounds like a stupid question, but seriously, I have nothing.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Novel Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
Stories happen all around you man.  Think about things that go on in your life, or things you have experienced in the past. 
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
Then twist them a bit with "what if it happened like this". That is kinda how I come up with ideas.
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline IronKite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 07:25:58 PM »
Actually, the month or so before Nano starts the forums are usually abuzz with posts soliciting novel ideas 'n other stuff like that.  Come to think of it, those forums may still be open... I heard something about how they were going to keep the site up all year long from now on, so there may be some there already.

If you're just looking for a few 'What if' suggestions, I could throw down one or two if you wanted...
The early worm has a death wish...

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:12:03 AM »
If you're just looking for a few 'What if' suggestions, I could throw down one or two if you wanted...

Whatever you got man.  I'm all ears.

Offline IronKite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:26:44 AM »
- The Devil turns out to be a compassionate and sensitive being who, in a fit of pique, goes on strike because he can't stand the fact that all of humanity hates him.
- A tiny group of bedraggled aliens land on earth, against all intergalactic orders, to let humans know that hundreds of other races out there have known about us all along... it's just that they've developed immortality via a method that we can't use (being mostly water and all) and they thought this knowledge would be too cruel for us to bear.
- A small government funded group of scientists, who have made unthinkable advances when it comes to cloning and time travel, have been secretly yanking some of the greatest minds in history out of their native timeline and into the present, replacing them with exact copies right at the moment of their historical death.  Things go extremely poorly when they accidentally grab Lincoln's wife that fateful night at the theatre instead of Abe himself, and the mere appearance of a second Abe Lincoln is enough to thwart the assassination attempt.
- A group of frustrated fiction writers (heh) tired of constantly being rejected by publishers create their own publishing house as a bit of a gag.  They're surprised to receive an unsolicited manuscript one day, and reject it with strongly worded vehemence reminiscent of a certain American Idol judge, and have some fun being the rejectors instead of the rejectees.  However, their strongly worded replies garner them a certain reputation, and suddenly they find that not only is more material coming in, but some of the writer's names are beginning to look familiar.  ("Zomg!  This one's from Stephen King!  He's writing a sequel to 'IT'!"  "Holy crap!  What's it called?"  "He's calling it 'That'...")

...it's a start, neh?   ;)

Aaron

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:32:46 AM »
Write down your dreams.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:21:15 AM »
Write down your dreams.

That doesn't work for me.  I have precog dreams.

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 05:24:10 AM »
You can find all manner of ideas from eveyday life. I live near a railroad. I could come up with a dozen ideas from that.

Take a situation, say the power going out, and build a story from that. Power outages are good stuff to build a post-apocalyptic story around.

Do you have kids, or at least younger nieces and nephews? Write a story about how they find out that the Fair Folk aren't nice? Or maybe, on of them finds out that they have a magical talent?

You just have to look around.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 06:50:01 AM »
It's hard to know without knowing how your mind works. I like to start with strong characters then create a plot that shows off their strengths and weaknesses and/or if it's a coming of age story, how they got those strengths and weaknesses. Others start with a great plot then figure out what characters are needed to make it work. Some, especially in sci fi and fantasy, will even start with a unique setting then create characters and a plot to show the place off. Even though I like to start with characters, any time something makes me think of a unique setting or a good plot, I keep track of it as a place to put the characters I have. Do you have a preferred angle for coming up with an idea for a novel?
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline IronKite

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 04:50:05 AM »
I'm a sucker for a good paradigm shift...

Like... I've pegged you as some sort of LA gang punk, and lo and behold, you're actually a cat guarding his turf!  Sonofa...

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:33 AM »
20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them  by Ronald Tobias

Should be available at all your favorite online book retailers.  Covers the biggest archetypes in stories and has a sister book by Victoria Schmidt called 45 Master Characters.  Neat reading, particularly if you're into the myth and archetype thing.  If you need more specific ideas, pulling up those books on Amazon will lead you to a gazillion others via their "suggestions/similar" feature that actually list out very specific plot and subplot points.  I've never read any of those, but you might be able to find something useful.  Good luck!
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com