Author Topic: Putting the genie back in the bottle.  (Read 2830 times)

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
Putting the genie back in the bottle.
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:46:38 AM »
In acting there is a style called “Method Acting” which requires you to draw on real emotions from your past in order to give a convincing performance. I believe writing is very similar in that your characters, to be truly believable, must come from inside you. Not only do they come from inside you, they are a part of you. How do you keep from letting these voices from changing you? To be frank I am a little concerned a character, an anti-hero, will bring out a part of me I would rather stay hidden. In other words folk, How do you get the genie back in the bottle?
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Putting the genie back in the bottle.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:13:25 AM »
In acting there is a style called “Method Acting” which requires you to draw on real emotions from your past in order to give a convincing performance. I believe writing is very similar in that your characters, to be truly believable, must come from inside you. Not only do they come from inside you, they are a part of you. How do you keep from letting these voices from changing you? To be frank I am a little concerned a character, an anti-hero, will bring out a part of me I would rather stay hidden. In other words folk, How do you get the genie back in the bottle?

If they're still around and alive in your head, listen to them and tell the rest of their story.  When their stories are done they will leave you in peace.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:22:51 AM »
I tought maybe this topic would spur a bit of interest, but alas not so. :(  Thank you for your reply. It just seems to me that bring out these inner demons and giving them a voice could be a little dangerous to one's mind.
Death that restful lullaby to mine enemies my hand is the melody and my sword the lyrics.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:02:04 AM »
If they're still around and alive in your head, listen to them and tell the rest of their story.  When their stories are done they will leave you in peace.

I had the same thought and agree.  I can tell you though that method acting can pull out a lot of stuff you don't even remember happening.  Some think that going deeply into those vague memories and giving them depth and a 3D quality some actors are convinced must be a past life experience etc. 

One of my favorite excercises to see great authors and actors do, is to bring their character to a new location and outside script or plot to have people question the character.  Stuff will zing up to the surface that will amaze you.  If you get yourself grounded in that--you'll never be stumped if the backdrop falls down during a performance--your character will wing it in character, because you've intimately brought the character alive inside you.

Finally--yes, your fear also has some real concern that does surface for actors at least.  Method actors who take on certain characters report having the "play" coming to their own lives--even being conscious of what's happening doesn't always keep the marriage safe from divorce after being in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof for example.   Maybe some caution to make sure you are controlling your characters and not the other way around is crucial if you are an extremely 'sensitive' writer.   

AND the usual statement---it's only my humble opinion and your own instincts are probably more important.  I just hope you wouldn't set aside a character out of fear of embracing it's "vile" side.  Some great fiction never would have been writen if the author stuffed the creepy guy in a desk somewhere where it would die....
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
I actually think delving into the darker side of yourself to pull out nasty characters is therapeutic. It's better than letting some things fester, and it helps get some of the author's darker emotions and feelings out where they can be safely expressed. Sure, you're going to a bad place in yourself, but it's better to acknowledge that bad place is there and deal with it, I think. To put the genie back in the bottle, I think honestly just knowing why it's there would help. A little introspection never hurts, and could add a lot of depth to your writing. The better you know yourself, the better you know your characters.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 10:20:33 PM »
Visit writingexcuses.com and check out the villians podcast.  Might help.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline gravesbane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:39:07 AM »
Thanks I'll give that podcast a listen.