Author Topic: Dragon Con Jim's almost done with 12 months!  (Read 679 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Dragon Con Jim's almost done with 12 months!
« on: September 02, 2024, 06:30:03 PM »
https://old.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/1f5y2v3/an_hour_with_jim_butcher_dragoncon_2024/

Biggest highlight is Jim says Twelve Months is 4 weeks away from being finished.

So hopefully we'll get it sometime this year.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Con Jim's almost done with 12 months!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 06:34:53 PM »
 ;D

We will know when we are really getting close when the pre-order notices go up on Amazon.. ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 08:38:33 PM by Mira »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 10:13:06 PM »
I am sorry, but I do not think we will be having it this year. Editing and publishing will take time. Perhaps for Valentine's? Thomas' birthday?
I have to admit if will be amazing to have it for this Christmas, but I do not see it happening.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 10:17:49 PM »
I am sorry, but I do not think we will be having it this year. Editing and publishing will take time. Perhaps for Valentine's? Thomas' birthday?
I have to admit if will be amazing to have it for this Christmas, but I do not see it happening.
I think the earliest will be March or April.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 03:17:40 PM »
I am sorry, but I do not think we will be having it this year. Editing and publishing will take time ...

Yeah, the edit/print/ship cycle (don't forget shipping!) can can take quite a startlingly-long time!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 03:53:03 PM »
Yeah, the edit/print/ship cycle (don't forget shipping!) can can take quite a startlingly-long time!

Yeah, that's why I am not getting too excited until Amazon starts pushing it as a pre-order.. However that can be months before we actually see it.. Then the frustrating thing is though supposedly you are to get it the day it comes out, it doesn't always happen that way! :-[

Offline peterwiggin94

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 01:19:30 PM »
Is there a video of this? I couldn't find one in a quick skim of YouTube.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2024, 09:34:22 PM »
Is there a video of this? I couldn't find one in a quick skim of YouTube.

I have not seen any vid, no.
There are a couple of summaries, apparently written live during the event, here:
https://old.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/1f5y2v3/an_hour_with_jim_butcher_dragoncon_2024/
The OP is a summary, and someone else offered theirs; there is of course very-broad agreement.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 03:35:39 PM by g33k »

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2024, 06:16:44 AM »
Still the best and most recent news we've heard for awhile.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2024, 11:16:59 PM »
According to a couple of other authors I’ve heard talk about publishing time, they both said it normally takes about a year between the time they finish a novel and when the novel is released.  (One of those authors was Bernedict Jacka and I can’t remember who the second one was.)

However, both of these authors talked about the amount of time they often need for rewrites and the time it takes the publisher to edit and for the author to recheck their work and re-check the edits.  Jim does a lot of pre-editing of his own before he turns a manuscript in, so his books can sometimes be released in a much shorter time frame.

There is also the publisher’s schedule to consider.  Right now, I would bet hard money that ROC Books; the part of Penguin that publishes The Dresden Files, already has their end of year / Christmas releases planned, in the pipeline and most likely there isn’t any way they can work Twelve Months into that time frame.

After that, my understanding of the major book publisher’s scheduling is sketchy at best.  Someone who worked in that business once explained it to me, but that was a long time ago.  I know the publishers have different release patterns for different seasons and they like to release known best selling author’s new books at times when they can get the most bang for their buck, but that is about it.

My guess is we could get Twelve Months in our hands or on our tablets by late Spring.  So sometime in May / June.  Then again, it might not be released until Fall 2025.  There is no way for us to know until TM is finished, sent in and the publisher gives us a release date. 

I council patience and hope Jim is correct about the time he needs to finish.  On Jim’s website that is titled Upcoming Works, it says he is 78% finished.  That percentage is probably based on the estimated total word count Jim came up with for Twelve Months before he started writing the novel.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2024, 04:11:40 PM »
... There is also the publisher’s schedule to consider.  Right now, I would bet hard money that ROC Books; the part of Penguin that publishes The Dresden Files, already has their end of year / Christmas releases planned, in the pipeline and most likely there isn’t any way they can work Twelve Months into that time frame ...
But also, they'll likely be in-contact with their top-selling authors, getting ETA's for the draft-completions and considering those authors' track-records of fulfilling by estimated times, edits needed, etc.  All else being equal, they'd rather release a book in November that sells 100,000+ by end of year, than one that sells 20,000.  Jim has been confidently reporting a summertime completion for most of this year; even allowing for some slippage, ROC may be willing to put his book onto their schedule...

Hypothetically speaking, of course.