Author Topic: Where do you go out on a date with the Queen of the sex vampires?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
I assume Harry isn’t picking the locations for his dates with Lara.  It appears that Molly will negotiate with the White Court; meaning with Lara, on where these dates will take place.  I also assume these talks will include discussions about what Harry will wear in order to make the right impression.  Harry probably won’t like that and my guess is he will probably hate it.

This might be a question best answered by someone who lives, has lived in or has visited Chicago frequently.  If not, perhaps you have heard of some place in Chicago that you think would make a good dating location for Harry and Lara. 

Aside from places mentioned in the Dresden Files; like the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum, the only place I know about in Chicago is Wrigley Field, but somehow I can’t see Harry taking Lara to a Cubs game.  Peanuts, beer and hotdogs don’t seem to be Lara’s style, though I suppose I could be surprised.  I believe the Chicago Bears still play at Soldier Field, but again, I don’t see Lara going in for a tailgate party.

It is also possible that Harry and Lara will have to make an appearance at some kind of party thrown by Winter, Summer or another player in the supernatural crowd, just as Eldest Gruff had to make an appearance at Harry’s birthday party at Arctis Tor.  That could be a location for a date, but it isn’t as much fun speculating on something like that happening. 

Does anyone wish to speculate on where one or more of these dates might take place?
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you go out on a date with the Queen of the sex vampires?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 06:04:32 AM »
While I anticipate that most of these dates will be to political and social soirees, a Cubs game should definitely be on the docket if Harry gets to choose any date sites. And there will definitely be one or two events involving Marcone as host or guest.

Online Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 02:06:33 PM »
I assume that Mab will want Harry and Lara to present the alliance in many locations, and not just in Chicago.  Traveling in the Nevernever won't an an issue, and Harry also has his mother's map of the Ways.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 02:54:14 PM »

I think Lara may have some demands of her own, like before the first date she may want to visit her brother in prison.  I think there are going to be a lot more external political complications for any alliance or even for them to date.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 04:01:56 AM »
I assume Harry isn’t picking the locations for his dates with Lara.  It appears that Molly will negotiate with the White Court; meaning with Lara, on where these dates will take place.  I also assume these talks will include discussions about what Harry will wear in order to make the right impression.  Harry probably won’t like that and my guess is he will probably hate it.

This might be a question best answered by someone who lives, has lived in or has visited Chicago frequently.  If not, perhaps you have heard of some place in Chicago that you think would make a good dating location for Harry and Lara. 

Aside from places mentioned in the Dresden Files; like the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum, the only place I know about in Chicago is Wrigley Field, but somehow I can’t see Harry taking Lara to a Cubs game.  Peanuts, beer and hotdogs don’t seem to be Lara’s style, though I suppose I could be surprised.  I believe the Chicago Bears still play at Soldier Field, but again, I don’t see Lara going in for a tailgate party.

It is also possible that Harry and Lara will have to make an appearance at some kind of party thrown by Winter, Summer or another player in the supernatural crowd, just as Eldest Gruff had to make an appearance at Harry’s birthday party at Arctis Tor.  That could be a location for a date, but it isn’t as much fun speculating on something like that happening. 

Does anyone wish to speculate on where one or more of these dates might take place?

Contemplating that, it suddenly struck me that Harry and Lara might have a genuine bonding moment by a spur-of-the-moment evasion of a planned event.  They're supposed to be doing such-and-such at Boring Public Venue Whatever, and they're both bored and on some impulse duck out and go do something else...like maybe a Cubs game?  Or pizza and a movie or something.  Something ordinary and human.

I can imagine Harry's sudden horror as they return home and he realizes he just enjoyed an evening with Lara...and maybe a realization that he enjoyed an evening out with Anna Ashe's murderess...

Plus I suspect the Winter Lady would give them her best Death Glare...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 04:05:56 AM by LordDresden2 »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2024, 12:06:20 PM »

Have to go back and reread the whole passage from Battle Ground, but just who was Mab negotiating with when she came up with this idea of a marriage between Lara and Harry?  Did she negotiate with Lord Raith?  Isn't Lara head of her part of the White Court anyway, and she seemed just as surprised and unthrilled with the idea as Harry.  For some reason I just cannot remember who in power in the White Court agreed with Mab that Lara and Harry should marry to cement an alliance.  Was a contract or treaty written up? 

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2024, 02:07:09 PM »
   Have to go back and reread the whole passage from Battle Ground, but just who was Mab negotiating with when she came up with this idea of a marriage between Lara and Harry?  Did she negotiate with Lord Raith?  Isn't Lara head of her part of the White Court anyway, and she seemed just as surprised and unthrilled with the idea as Harry.  For some reason I just cannot remember who in power in the White Court agreed with Mab that Lara and Harry should marry to cement an alliance.  Was a contract or treaty written up?

Nope. That was Mab pulling the Faerie bargain trick.

One of the favors Lara asked Mab for was an alliance with Winter. Another was permission to court her Knight. Mab saw the tiny spark that went between them when they shook hands and granted both favors with the arranged marriage. Basically, she got Lara with the faerie deal trick and Harry has to go along because it's a lawful order from Queen to Knight.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2024, 02:45:32 PM »
Nope. That was Mab pulling the Faerie bargain trick.

One of the favors Lara asked Mab for was an alliance with Winter. Another was permission to court her Knight. Mab saw the tiny spark that went between them when they shook hands and granted both favors with the arranged marriage. Basically, she got Lara with the faerie deal trick and Harry has to go along because it's a lawful order from Queen to Knight.

Thanks now I remember, however I don't think it will work until the issues with Thomas are solved.  If you will remember Lara was very unhappy when Harry put Thomas in that cell.

Online Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2024, 03:05:30 PM »
Maybe I misunderstand vincentric's reply, I don't believe Lara asked to court the WK.  I read BG as Lara requesting an alliance between Winter and the WC, and Mab saying 'yes, and it will be done by marrying Lara to the WK.'  Given Lara's reaction, I don't think she expressly or implicitly asked to court/marry Harry, or even thought that's how an alliance would be consummated.  (Double meaning intended.)

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM »
Lara’s eyes became grim, and she gave me a small, firm nod and offered me her hand. “Shake on it, wizard?” I nodded and traded grips with her. “Agreed.” And a flickering something went between us. It wasn’t White Court mojo, I didn’t think. Just . . . a shivering note of energy. A harmony. It was a promise both of us had put a measure of will behind. It was a promise both of us meant to keep. We both had the same feelings about family. “Excellent,” said Mab from behind us. “Lady Lara, upon due consideration, your third favor is granted. You have my permission to court my Knight. The wedding will commence at sundown.” “Uh,” I said, “what?” Lara arched an eyebrow. “What?” “WHAT!!??” sputtered Molly.

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files Book 17) (p. 388). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

I mean, Mab states the favor outright here.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2024, 05:03:46 PM »
Lara’s eyes became grim, and she gave me a small, firm nod and offered me her hand. “Shake on it, wizard?” I nodded and traded grips with her. “Agreed.” And a flickering something went between us. It wasn’t White Court mojo, I didn’t think. Just . . . a shivering note of energy. A harmony. It was a promise both of us had put a measure of will behind. It was a promise both of us meant to keep. We both had the same feelings about family. “Excellent,” said Mab from behind us. “Lady Lara, upon due consideration, your third favor is granted. You have my permission to court my Knight. The wedding will commence at sundown.” “Uh,” I said, “what?” Lara arched an eyebrow. “What?” “WHAT!!??” sputtered Molly.

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files Book 17) (p. 388). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

I mean, Mab states the favor outright here.

The question becomes what did Lara promise to Mab?  And why does Lara want to court Harry?  Me thinks this is going to get very complicated... Someone, not clear at this point whether it is Mab or Lara may have outsmarted herself...

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2024, 05:35:23 PM »
The question becomes what did Lara promise to Mab?  And why does Lara want to court Harry?  Me thinks this is going to get very complicated... Someone, not clear at this point whether it is Mab or Lara may have outsmarted herself...

It's a long-term plan with Harry as an integral part. Chaos is assured.

Ooh! What if one of these dates is a dinner at Michael's.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2024, 09:47:23 PM »
Contemplating that, it suddenly struck me that Harry and Lara might have a genuine bonding moment by a spur-of-the-moment evasion of a planned event.  They're supposed to be doing such-and-such at Boring Public Venue Whatever, and they're both bored and on some impulse duck out and go do something else...like maybe a Cubs game?  Or pizza and a movie or something.  Something ordinary and human.

I can imagine Harry's sudden horror as they return home and he realizes he just enjoyed an evening with Lara...and maybe a realization that he enjoyed an evening out with Anna Ashe's murderess...

Plus I suspect the Winter Lady would give them her best Death Glare...

I like the idea of Harry and Lara enjoying some time together. I actually think Lara would be surprised and interested by the Field Museum. They could also visit some historical museum so Lara can relive a few of the days of old. It would be so novel for her, because I do not think any other man wanted to do with her. Of course, dinner and wine will still be required.
Again, I do not think Harry could ever love her, she is too much of a monster. And she is probably still angry about Thomas.
Last, Lara killed Hannah? I did not remember that (I remember she was infected by Lasciel and that she died, but not precisely how). I may need to reread SG.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2024, 11:36:52 PM »
I like the idea of Harry and Lara enjoying some time together. I actually think Lara would be surprised and interested by the Field Museum. They could also visit some historical museum so Lara can relive a few of the days of old. It would be so novel for her, because I do not think any other man wanted to do with her. Of course, dinner and wine will still be required.
Again, I do not think Harry could ever love her, she is too much of a monster. And she is probably still angry about Thomas.
Last, Lara killed Hannah? I did not remember that (I remember she was infected by Lasciel and that she died, but not precisely how). I may need to reread SG.

If I remember correctly Harry killed Hannah, he brought a couple of tons of molten rock ceiling down on her head.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2024, 05:01:24 AM »
I think there is some confusion here between Anna Ashe; who was killed by the Skavis (Pricilla) in White Night, and Hannah Asher who we remember as the super skilled fire wielder and also a Denarian from Skin Game; who we thought died under a couple tons of molten rock, but apparently not. 

It was Lara who manipulated the campaign to kill minor magical talents into being; to pit House Skavis and House Malvora against one another, even though it was the head of House Skavis who actually ordered it and sent his heir apparent to carry out.  This makes Lara ultimately responsible for the deaths of Anna and the other women killed by Skavis and Malvora. 

It is a bit confusing because we don't really know the details, we know that Lara only weakly contested Harry's accusations that she was responsible by pointing out that Lord Skavis had promoted a similar plan a century earlier.  She never said, "I didn't do it." 

I think Harry would be disturbed that he truly enjoyed Lara's company, but not because of any one or several deaths she has caused.  Harry knows that Lara must be responsible for hundreds of deaths in her lifetime.  Harry has often pretended that the only reason he is attracted to Lara is because of her White Court mojo, but being forced to recognize his attraction is deeper than that; and I'm not talking about true love, the fact that Harry genuinely likes Lara and likes spending time with her would be disturbing to Harry. 

Harry has always been hard on himself.  Harry would question if enjoying spending time with a monster; a beautiful, intelligent, charming, fun loving and polite monster, but a monster none the less, would mean that he is losing his battle to remain himself and not give in to the pressure of the Winter Knight's mantel or give in to Mab's schemes to mold him.  I think Harry would worry that he is taking another step into becoming a monster himself.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 05:28:36 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx