Author Topic: Star and Stones  (Read 3121 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Star and Stones
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2024, 07:56:26 PM »
I think that's actually a key question.  We know from word of JB that the various powers who might be looking for Harry, such as Ebenezar, as well as less well-intentioned folk, lost track after Margaret died, but we've never been told how or why.  It might party be Lea, she might have been working to hide and protect Malcolm and Harry in secret, but I suspect there's more to it than that.

So the question of how they came to Justin's attention may be a really important one.

I think the element where Morgan used his Summer Squire "favor" to become un-trackable was a hint from Jim:  Harry vanished completely via Faerie magic; my guess is that it was part of Maggie-Sr's bargain(s) with Lea and/or Mab.

As Harry has noted, an incautiously-phrased "protect me" bargain with the fae can mean being stuffed into a faerie prison  (and ironically:  Harry himself then "protected" his own brother by stuffing him (with accute torture) into Occult SuperMax prison... Jim has a twisted sense of humor).  Mab made sure none of the "interested parties" could find Harry.  I WAG that it was Harry being born -- separated from his mother -- that allowed Raith's curse to target & kill her.

I think Mab & her handmaiden were very involved, from the beginning.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 07:59:39 PM by g33k »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2024, 07:40:35 PM »
As Harry has noted, an incautiously-phrased "protect me" bargain with the fae can mean being stuffed into a faerie prison  (and ironically:  Harry himself then "protected" his own brother by stuffing him (with accute torture) into Occult SuperMax prison... Jim has a twisted sense of humor).  Mab made sure none of the "interested parties" could find Harry.  I WAG that it was Harry being born -- separated from his mother -- that allowed Raith's curse to target & kill her.

That sounds way harsher than it should, in my opinion.  I think it was the best of some bad alternatives given the crime that Thomas committed.  Thomas was dying, short of finding a willing victim to feed him, putting him in the prison halted that.  It also may have placated the Stavaelves somewhat if events hadn't blown up due to other events.  Thomas wasn't going to survive where he was until his case could fully be investigated and a plea made, this gave him a chance, small, but a chance.. No, Harry didn't coldly "stuff" Thomas in prison where he is forced to relive his crimes, it was about all Harry could do for him, and as Warden of Demonreach,  was able to do. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2024, 04:48:10 PM »
That sounds way harsher than it should, in my opinion ...
It's harsh, yes.  But simply factual.

It's also quite ironic that Harry jailed his brother to keep him safe... after specifically taking great care not to let the fae do exactly that to him!

... I think it was the best of some bad alternatives ... this gave him a chance, small, but a chance ...
This is also correct, IMHO.
Harry did do something "harsh" with Thomas... but not nearly as harsh as letting him get killed!

... No, Harry didn't coldly "stuff" Thomas in prison ...
Oh, I never said it was "cold" (in the sense of unfeeling).

But he did it... he did it unhesitatingly, despite knowing he was about to subject his own brother to intense torment.  You can call that "cold," from a certain point of view... but if it was "cold" it was only that way by suppressing his anger and pain; to "coldly" do what needed doing, despite the costs.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2024, 05:49:03 PM »
It's harsh, yes.  But simply factual.

It's also quite ironic that Harry jailed his brother to keep him safe... after specifically taking great care not to let the fae do exactly that to him!

So what alternatives did Harry have here?  Thomas was dying from the beating he had received.  Most likely he would have either died in prison or be executed.  This kept him alive, not in great shape maybe, but alive.  Doesn't matter what Harry let or didn't let the fae do to him, he managed to avoid it.. Maybe Thomas should have thought things through a bit more before hand? But he didn't.

Oh, I never said it was "cold" (in the sense of unfeeling).

But he did it... he did it unhesitatingly, despite knowing he was about to subject his own brother to intense torment.  You can call that "cold," from a certain point of view... but if it was "cold" it was only that way by suppressing his anger and pain; to "coldly" do what needed doing, despite the costs.

When you use verbs like "stuffed" the implication is there that it was coldly or unfeelingly done.. Words matter.  No, considering the alternatives Harry didn't hesitate.  And yes, subjecting Thomas to torment, but undeserved torment?  Thomas has murdered many to satisfy his hunger demon, there is a price to be paid for that.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2024, 03:16:40 AM »

When you use verbs like "stuffed" the implication is there that it was coldly or unfeelingly done.. Words matter ...
Words also have regional variation.

Where I live, "stuffed" carries more the implication of something done hastily.
That haste may even imply that you feel very strongly... but that isn't inherent, it comes from the context of use.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2024, 04:25:23 AM »
Words also have regional variation.

Where I live, "stuffed" carries more the implication of something done hastily.
That haste may even imply that you feel very strongly... but that isn't inherent, it comes from the context of use.

Now it really doesn't apply, because yes, it was done quickly, but not thoughtlessly.