Author Topic: Would You Like to Play a Game? (And help me with mine)  (Read 425 times)

Offline Guardianw007

• Participant
  • Gave up proof reading for Lent. In 1989.
    • View Profile
Would You Like to Play a Game? (And help me with mine)
« on: June 05, 2024, 09:00:52 PM »
Hullo Paranet!

How is everyone feeling tonight? 

Longtime lurker, very, very infrequent poster to the old Jimbutcher.com BB.  Huge Dresden fan. 

Years back I pre-ordered the first two RPG books and promptly took 14ish years to get a group willing to play with me.

Set my campaign and started a reread of all the books (Honestly, more of a re-listen).  I got through enough (Pre-*Changes* but not *Small Favor*) to hear Harry describe a soul gaze as being a variable experience, unique to each wizard, with some wizards experiencing a soul gaze as music.  That struck a cord [Ba dum tss] with me, cause my group would get a kick out of weaving in music into the campaign, and my brother is playing a warden of the White Council.

So my idea (and the game):

What if every time young Warden B soul gazes he gets a (musical) tour of someone's psyche in the form of a song?  So, I'm looking for songs I can use to sum up a psyche, and a brief description of the person so described.  I've got a few, but it'd be nice to have a list of go to songs in case he decides to gaze minor villian #4, or NPC grocery store clerk.  The rules:

1. It should be fairly well accessible,
2. If it has lyrics (and it probably ought to, instrumental is probably too subjective), the vast majority should be in English (We don't speak anything else, outside of some Medical Espanol),
3. It should be no more than 5 minutes long.

Lyrics can be metaphorical (I.E. Love need not be romantic love, but camaraderie, obsession [Side note: Have you ever thought about how twisted the average love song, sung to someone you just met is?  Chilling], familial affection, etc.), or on the nose.  Here's some of what I got for inspiration:

A. One of my players is playing a very hard luck thief who thinks everyone is out to get her, except maybe her lone friend, so I will pair her with Hide U from Kosheen.
B. One is an ex-combat veteran who watched his platoon die, and is spiraling so he'll get Hurt by NIN.
C. One a possibly mentally ill man who hears a voice he believes to be from God, so he gets God's Gonna Cut You Down by Johnny Cash.
D. One a paramedic who views herself, un-apologetically, as a sidekick will get Hero by Skillet (Particularly proud of this one.  My brother is like to think it refers to him, but it refers to her own need to step up).
E. One a young woman who lived her entire life alienated from her "spooky" side mother and thus from the rest of humanity as well gets Wonderful by Everclear.
F. My brother will give a DIFFERENT song based upon which one of his allies he gazes and what aspect that character is like to resonate with thus, Kiss With a Fist by Florence + The Machine, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, Save Tonight by Eagle-Eye Cherry, Pictures of You by The Last Goodnight, and Pain by Three Days Grace,
G. An NPC politician that imagines herself a "woman of the people" will give, Poor Unfortunate Souls by Lollia,
H. An NPC who has been climbing the ranks of a pack of animal shifters running a crime ring for his sister and others like him will give, If I Killed Someone for You by Alec Benjamin.

As I said, I'd like to bank a few songs for randos, but if you have a villain aria, feel free to get as specific as you like (With the understanding I will 100% steal it and let others attribute it to, "MY GENIUS!").  Thanks!
Aslan is not a tame lion.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Would You Like to Play a Game? (And help me with mine)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2024, 12:41:09 PM »
Fun!

I thought, for sure, the werewolf would get Werewolves of London by Warren Zephon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qae25976UgA

Let me think about it and I'll post a few.  You want us to come up with an NPC and a corresponding song?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 02:12:45 AM »
Fun!

Yes indeed!

Bonus:  get a nice closed set of "cans" (over-ear headphones) so that each Soulgaze can be a genuinely unique experience, mysterious to outsiders.
Bonus to the bonus:  if you've only listened to good music on shitty computer/laptop speakers, OMG are you in for a treat!  1st time I played Pentatonix "Hallelujah" for my wife (who had heard same song repeatedly before), she literally cried tears of joy.

Someone who's angry with the isolating & dehumanizing effects of urban life, violence, corporate "messaging" (just "the system" overall) might get the Disturbed cover of Sound of Silence.  Someone still hopeful about the same system (and our ability to turn things around / get out from under) might get the Pentatonix cover.

Someone whose defining element is their lost love might get Cohen's Hallelujah (cover of your choice; see Buckley & Pentatonix as likely best).

A "badboy" Lothario (whampire?) might get Thorogood's Bad to the Bone.

(eta:  you may have noticed that I like Pentatonix, kind of a lot.  If you don't know them, get some good-quality speakers/headphones, and give 'em a listen...)

2. If it has lyrics (and it probably ought to, instrumental is probably too subjective) ...

Note that a well-known song will carry the familiar emotional overtones in the listener's own mind, even in an instrumental version...  I was amused to note the classically-scored instrumental version of Beyonce's "Halo" in the 1st episode of 1760's-era "Queen Charlotte" (I think the show gave similar treatment to other chart-topping pop songs).

Following this thread with interest !!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 02:21:45 AM by g33k »

Offline Guardianw007

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 08:09:58 PM »
Hey all!

First off, apologies for the delay in thanking you guys.  It's been a busy, busy month.

Thank you to those who've already helped me out.  Love your suggestions.  Will add them to my rotation.

. . .the werewolf would get Werewolves of London by Warren Zephon

Brilliant and helpful suggestion for a werewolf lackey, Taran (and since one of my factions is a were-animal "pack/flock/herd/murder" trying to pull a "Marcone" to get powerful enough to sign onto the Accords, one I guarantee I'll use).

get a nice closed set of "cans" (over-ear headphones) so that each Soulgaze can be a genuinely unique experience, mysterious to outsiders.

How did this never occur to me!??!??  Perfect!  I was always going to remove each of the soul gaze recipient to another room so they wouldn't overhear what was not for them, but you are so right!  Sound cancellation and max audio fidelity!  It's right there!  Very good, g33k.

Someone who's angry with the isolating & dehumanizing effects of urban life, violence, corporate "messaging" (just "the system" overall) might get the Disturbed cover of Sound of Silence.  Someone still hopeful about the same system (and our ability to turn things around / get out from under) might get the Pentatonix cover.

What if they are twins?  Maybe fraternal twins, whose interests have led to WILDLY different outlooks on life from similar (but not identical) stimuli.

A couple of more from me:
  • An NPC playing "The Competent Widow/Damsel Errant" trope to one of my players "The Drifter/Knight Errant" trope will give either Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande or Red by Taylor Swift
  • My revenge driven local guardian will give Careful What You Wish For by Jack Harris
  • My mad scientist trying to bio-engineer a plague to kill the Fae will give Control by Halsey
  • My Were-bear leader of my Animal Collective will give Sharks by One Republic
Feel free to share any additional ideas you have, for as long as the game amuses you.

And thank you again to those who've already helped me.  I appreciate you.

Offline Guardianw007

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 08:26:42 PM »
Note that a well-known song will carry the familiar emotional overtones in the listener's own mind, even in an instrumental version...  I was amused to note the classically-scored instrumental version of Beyonce's "Halo" in the 1st episode of 1760's-era "Queen Charlotte" (I think the show gave similar treatment to other chart-topping pop songs).

The group is Vitamin String Quartet (They do all the musical covers for both *Queen Charlotte* and *Bridgerton*).  And I agree, completely.  Before I became (semi) obsessed with finding the right music for this campaign, I'd pull up one of their playlists on Spotify and spend hours listening to their arrangements.