Author Topic: Twelve Months stuck?  (Read 9606 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Twelve Months stuck?
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2024, 09:19:23 PM »
There was an interview in June, "Beyond the Cape" podcast,  Jim said then that he expected to be done and announce it during Dragoncon.  Apparently,  not quite...

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2024, 11:08:10 AM »
Well, one month is close enough, but we will need to see if it is right.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2024, 03:24:24 PM »
*bump* of the OP/topic.

78% still (first reported over a month ago).
I'm gonna predict Jim will miss his (honestly over-)ambitious DragonCon estimate.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2024, 12:20:19 AM »
We will see. When I do an update of windows it sometimes has hiccups. A while stuck in a value and then a sudden sprint to the goal. Perhaps this is the same  :)
Anyways, I admit I won't be surprised if it takes some more time, but I can feel it, we are close.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2024, 02:29:29 PM »
'He's got a long way to go, and a short time to get there.' - Jerry Reed, almost
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 03:08:05 PM by Lord Kinbote »

Offline GreenMysticalUnicorn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2024, 07:45:08 AM »
Jim mentioned recently he had a slip disk which was why the book stalled. Hoping it picks up now?

Online KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2024, 10:10:43 AM »
Jim mentioned recently he had a slip disk which was why the book stalled. Hoping it picks up now?

That is a real sucky injury, though at least it wasn't something life threatening.  I've had it happen to me.  As long as you don't require surgery it can be dealt with, with good long-term recovery possible, even though potential for further injury always remains. 

Until the injury is dealt with, the pain can be very distracting and pain killers can dull any writer's ability to get work done.  I required cortisone injections and I lost considerable weight after that to reduce the chance of reinjuring myself.  My doctor tried other therapies before the cortisone injections, so I can understand how this situation has cost Jim a fair amount of work time.   

In my case, this injury occurred over fifteen years ago and I haven't had any pain since then.

Good luck Jim!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2024, 05:53:15 PM »
That is a real sucky injury, though at least it wasn't something life threatening.  I've had it happen to me.  As long as you don't require surgery it can be dealt with, with good long-term recovery possible, even though potential for further injury always remains. 

Until the injury is dealt with, the pain can be very distracting and pain killers can dull any writer's ability to get work done.  I required cortisone injections and I lost considerable weight after that to reduce the chance of reinjuring myself.  My doctor tried other therapies before the cortisone injections, so I can understand how this situation has cost Jim a fair amount of work time.   

In my case, this injury occurred over fifteen years ago and I haven't had any pain since then.

Good luck Jim!

I echo that, having suffered from it as well, lots of pain and loss of sleep from the pain, hope Jim gets well soon.

Online KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2024, 07:53:26 PM »
I echo that, having suffered from it as well, lots of pain and loss of sleep from the pain, hope Jim gets well soon.

I forgot about the loss of sleep part.  That was maddening and even if the pain diminished while I was awake, not sleeping killed my ability to concentrate while I was awake.  The right painkillers helped me sleep, but they aren't a solution and they have their drawbacks when you are awake.  Plus, they are potentially addictive so it isn't something you want to rely on for any great length of time.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2024, 05:57:19 PM »

Oh, I did not know that. I hope he gets better soon!
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2024, 08:46:36 PM »
I forgot about the loss of sleep part.  That was maddening and even if the pain diminished while I was awake, not sleeping killed my ability to concentrate while I was awake.  The right painkillers helped me sleep, but they aren't a solution and they have their drawbacks when you are awake.  Plus, they are potentially addictive so it isn't something you want to rely on for any great length of time.

Plus pain killers don't help to focus the brain much.. :(