Author Topic: Has Carlos sided with the merlin against Harry  (Read 8467 times)

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Has Carlos sided with the merlin against Harry
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2024, 01:55:51 AM »
Indeed!
You have not idea how confusing it is for me with some of those. By the way. We have an idiom very similar in meaning to "pulling my leg" but it would translate as "pulling the hair". It is a little more complicated, because if you actually pull someone by grabbing their hair, that would be "tirar del pelo", but the idiom for when someone is pranking you is "tomar el pelo", which is...softer. Like taking someone hair in your hand but not actually pulling it. But anyways, it is about hair and not legs.

Oh, I'm quite aware that other languages have their odd/absurd idioms, too!

So no, I'm not surprised you find English difficult in this way... as with many things, English is just a bit worse in this regard than most languages are.

You may have heard:  other languages have "loanwords."  English drags the other language down an alleyway, hits it over the head, and goes through the pockets for loose vocabulary and grammar.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2024, 02:55:24 AM »
I love that joke  :)
But seriously, I never tried to say English was worse than any other language. Just that it is the foreign language I use the most, so it is the one that usually baffles me with something like "it is raining cats and dogs". Or, well, Snowleopard loved to tell the story of when I was new here and I thought that "going commando" meant something like "going berserk"  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2024, 11:08:39 AM »
I love that joke  :)
But seriously, I never tried to say English was worse than any other language. Just that it is the foreign language I use the most, so it is the one that usually baffles me with something like "it is raining cats and dogs". Or, well, Snowleopard loved to tell the story of when I was new here and I thought that "going commando" meant something like "going berserk"  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

LMAO
Blood Rites: Gowan Commando.

There are lots of examples in the books, when I thought: this must be an idiom or something. Thank Google I could look some of them up. But I don't know how many I've been missing.
One always learns more.