Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 57235 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #390 on: July 21, 2024, 12:06:28 AM »
Thank you!  :)

I laughed at the time of Mini's birth. And I hope she really enjoyed herself today.

I am so glad the cats are doing well, even if they bring mice  :)

We are going to order pizza today and I am looking forward it. Today was a cloudy day, with a small rain. It was cold, but not so much. I think people will be able to get out with their friends without problems.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 21, 2024, 07:12:36 AM »
Enjoy your pizza. We are going to order one for dinner as well.  ;D
For the guests that stay after coffee and cake. Not sure yet, who will stay for dinner. My sister-in-law is of bad health and sometimes she needs to go to sleep early. And one of my nieces is a nurse and also sleeps early when she has to start work at 6 AM.
So, we'll see who is still around for the pizza.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 21, 2024, 08:19:34 AM »
My pizza was good. We ordered it to a place that makes it squared. It was very crispy.
I hope you enjoyed yours.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 22, 2024, 03:38:07 PM »
Our pizzas were good, too.
The party was fun. Mini got a lot of nice presents. Again, lol.

This is the last week of school here. I am glad, too. And I will use the vacations to sleep long whenever possible, lol. And whenever I don't have to work in the mornings.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 22, 2024, 08:17:18 PM »
Enjoy "your" vacations then! The pleasure to sleep in...

This week in "crazy weather" it is forecasted that there will be high, spring-like temperatures. Then we are surprised when people gets a cold or even the flu, it is difficult to know how to dress.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 24, 2024, 04:01:41 AM »
Enjoy "your" vacations then! The pleasure to sleep in...

This week in "crazy weather" it is forecasted that there will be high, spring-like temperatures. Then we are surprised when people gets a cold or even the flu, it is difficult to know how to dress.
Update. I've been deceived like a little girl. The weather had been awful. The temperature was not as high as predicted but much worse was the fact that we were sourrounded by fog all day. We barely see the heaven a little while. It was a very good London impersonation. In the morning I tried to imagine I was on a Double Decker  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 24, 2024, 03:48:44 PM »
@Dina. So you were deceived by the weather. LOL

When I was in Ireland with friends a long time ago, I wanted to show them some beautiful sights, but there was fog. So we spent the day driving around in the fog, seeing nothing but the foggy road. But we still had fun. I told them for example: "if you look to your left, you could see the ocean behind the meadow. If there wasn't the fog. And here to our right behind the fog, there would be some sheep, up ahead some beautiful mountains with a stunning view of the fog.

At the end of the day it started raining and storming. But at least we could see some ruins that way and run through the rain to get to them.

On the other hand, when I was in England as a student, there was an unexpected heat wave. Most locals said this wasn't common. Heat yes, but not for such an extended time. It hadn't been raining for several weeks and every green was brown.

LOL, and here we are talking about the weather. We had a saying in my youth that if you can't think about anything to talk aboit and don't want to be silent either, just talk about the weather. There is always something to talk about. If you have nothing in common with the person next to you, the weather is the only thing you both experience.
So of course we made fun of it. Every time there was a pause in conversation, someone would throw in a "and hey, what about the weather?".

I would like to travel to England next year. I need to have new passports made for the kids and myself. With the ones we currently have we would not be allowed in. Only other EU countries and some others.
I want to see London again and maybe do some travelling around.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 24, 2024, 04:49:40 PM »
@Dina. So you were deceived by the weather. LOL
Or at least by the weather people  :)
Today is a little rainy and warm, both of what had been forecasted. So this time they got it right. It is not a nice weather but at least I was not deceived. Honest climate  :)
We also have that saying about the weather, and our cliché phrase is "tiempo loco, eh?". It means, "Crazy time" and it is used specially for when one day is very different of the next one, or for one day begins sunny and ends in rain or the other way around. But sometimes it is used just for conversation, no matter if the weather is actually crazy or not. It is very important to say it with the "eh?" in the end. Otherwise it would sound fake.

Speaking of the weather is a good thing here in the forum though, as we have such different weathers. I do remember one day here in the forums. It was raining at the same time in USA (Philadelphia, I think), Argentina (Buenos Aires), UK (two or three different cities) and Russia (I do not remember the city). It was super fun. The forumite in Russia is a woman from USA who was working there for a time. She was in a couple of cities, one was Moscow but I do not remember the others. I miss her. Once she went back to USA she was very busy and slowly stopped coming here.

Your story about Ireland is hilarious, I did not know you had studied in England. Did you spend a long time there?

I've only been in London once, but I loved it. I think it is a beautiful city. Also, I hope it is easy to have your passsports done.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 24, 2024, 09:49:16 PM »
Ah, sorry. I think I caused a misunderstanding. I did not study in England. I was there on a language exchange during my time as a student. It was just two weeks with a group of other students. It  was fun.

I like talking about the weather. It's an interesting topic.

On Monday our Da Vinci was missing. He just came back today in the morning. Now he is at home sleeping. Someone must have fed him, he wasn't hungry when he came home. But he was very keen on being petted a lot. Usually he is afraid of other people. He always hides when we have visitors. I am so happy he is alive and well. He is such a sweety.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 24, 2024, 10:24:47 PM »
Aw, I am so glad he is back. And of course he is sleeping, it is their way to cope with stress, beyond the normal energy recovery thing.
It's ok. 2 weeks in England count as "studying in England" for me. I bet it was super fun being there with other young people!
If you go to London again when you get your passport, you must go to Forbidden Planet, a comic book and other pop-culture related store. We have similar things here but none so big. I bought a Dresden book there and a Doctor Who t-shirt. And my forum friends bought me a birthday present there  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 24, 2024, 11:11:29 PM »
Oh yes, we are definitely going to do something Dr Who related. And something Harry Potter related for the kids. And I want to see the latest figures at Madame Tussaud's.
And because I always do that whenever possible: go into a bookstore. No need to buy a book, but just for the feeling of it and the smell of the books.

And France. The kids wanted to see Paris. And I want to go there again, too. It us easy to travel to Paris from here. You just take the train from Munich. And they need to see Versailles. As a child, I often was in Versailles with my parents. Mostly on our way back or to the Bretagne with the camping trailer.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 25, 2024, 12:17:43 AM »
I would have love to see Versailles. When we were in London, we spend time in Paris too (most romantic New Year ever, sailing in la Seine). But no time or money to go to Versailles.
There is a Who Shop in London, that sell all Doctor Who related things and even has a small museum with some things from the show. And the better part is the entrance to the museum, you need to see it. You have to take the train. It is in West Ham I believe. I am not very sure but you can google it. I really recommend it.
I loved Mme Tussaud. My pictures with Patrick Stewart, Brad Pitt and Judy Dench are among my favourite ever. I think your girls will love every second of your travel.
Also, camping trailer? *is interested*.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 29, 2024, 09:11:50 PM »
Hi, I knew about the Who shop. A friend was there last year and sent pictures.
When I was a child we always went camping and later on, my parents sometimes rented a trailer. They liked the trailers so much, that they decided to buy a used one for ourselves. During the year, it would either be in a farmer's barn in winter or in our garden. We celebrated birthdays in there and overnight parties and my dad often used it to sleep during the day after his night shifts. So my mom didn't need to be quiet all the time.

Those holidays with the trailer are my happiest childhood memories. I'm still trying to convince my husband to invest in one or to try one out to see if he likes it. But no such luck yet.

Other topic: Last night I dreamed that you (Dina) and your hubby were visiting us. We went buying the new sofa. A big one so you could both sleep on it. Then we went to the cinema to watch Deadpool and Wolverine and after that we ate pizza.

Do you think this is prophetic? Either you'll come to visit or we are going to buy the sofa or we are going to go to the cinema?

We definitely need that sofa soon. Only Micro is light weight enough to sit in the middle now and I have already stitched some parts together, but you can still see the white stuffing behind the stitches, lol. Also, the cats are not healthy for the poor sofa.
I definitely want something big, where more than one person can put their legs up.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 29, 2024, 11:48:03 PM »
Hi there! Well, if you can go to the Who shop, do it  :)

Your memories about the trailer sound amazing! We never had a trailer, but when I was a child we went camping several times, with a big tent. Those are among my happiest memories too. My dad loved to go camping and when he was single he usually went camping to Bariloche every Summer with what was, i think, a local chapter of the YMCA.

Bariloche is a city in the Patagonia, in our South, but not as Southern as other places, so the cold is not so terrible, even in Winter. Big mountains and lakes. As beautiful as you can imagine. Some parts of it have a German architecture too. And yes, some nazi went there. But please, do not think we are full of nazi refugees. That is mostly an stereotype.

Back to the point, eventually (when we became less poor and my parents were not so young) we pretty much stopped camping and stayed only in hotels. So, my memories of camping are all from my childhood (except for a couple of days with friends when I was a teenager). And, just in your case, those are among my favourite memories. As long as sleeping in the back seat of the car. Now that is forbidden, but at the time, it was quite common. And I loved it so much.

Great dream! It would be wonderful (even when hubby and I are way too large for any sofa  ;D ;D ;D). About how prophetic...well, I had a slice of pizza today at lunch (a celebration of an ex-student who became a doctor). I do not think we are going to watch Deadpool and Wolverine in the theatres, but I hope we will watch it someday.

I am very happy that you dreamed about us  :). I feel honored, so thank you.

This post is too long, so I will tell you a little about my week (which will be quite busy) tomorrow. Meanwhile, you and everyone reading, have a good night/day, whatever. (Remind me that I tell you about "good maen", please).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 30, 2024, 11:13:23 AM »
Good maen.
I almost forgot about that.
I'm going to eat my lunch now. Leftover salmon with vegetables. The potatoes didn't survive yesterday evening. Yum.

I just finished the new Mercy Thompson book.  Now back to Daniel Faust.