Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 46174 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #360 on: June 26, 2024, 05:44:41 PM »
May be.
Ages vary here, but yes, First Communion happens somewhere in primary school and Confirmation probably around the first years of Secondary School. I think that is why I never did the confirmation. My last year of primary school was extra busy (I had to take extra classes because I was preparing to enter a school which required to pass an exam and I was also doing classic ballet) and the first year of secondary school I needed adaptation and then...I think we never thought about it again.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 26, 2024, 10:22:38 PM »
Oh, you were very busy as a kid.

I inserted Konfirmation and Firmung into both Google translate and Deepl but both translated to confirmation. It seems there is really just the one word for both. And it seems the same way in Spanish: confirmación.

So I did the same with latin: and behold! ;D

firmare = to strengthen

confirmare = to confirm (duh)
"confirm implies the removing of doubts by an authoritative statement or indisputable fact."
"to prove that a believe or an opinion that was previously not completely certain is true" (Cambridge Dictionary)

So there is a slight difference in the origin of the words, but in use they describe almost the same ceremony.

Now I am thinking of "firme el documento". I was confused that it means to sign. But now, when I think about it, it makes more sense, because one could see it as a strenghening of the document, when it is signed. Sometimes there are words that have seemingly gone far from their original meaning.

Something else: I had a massage today. It was very nice and relaxing.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 27, 2024, 04:25:01 AM »
Oh, I am glad you enjoyed your massage  :)

And oh, when I was very little I had dance, which I had pretty much all my primary school. Then I did one year of French because I liked. Cathechesis 2 years. And then the preparation for my school. I was busy but not terribly so, as I did not many things at the same time.

That is very interesting all about confirmation and the slight difference in meaning. And about ""firmar" I had not even thought on that, but yes, it gives strength to what is signed.

Sometimes I wonder about words too. For example, today I was thinking that in English the word "violinist" exists, but I mostly see "fiddler" and I wonder where that came from.

Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 27, 2024, 05:47:45 AM »
Violin or fiddle?
I asked this myself, because I play the instrument and at first I thought that fiddle was just the Irish word.
Or there are different ways to hold the instrument when you play: like pressed to your chest or belly instead of your throat. Like it was originally played.
Here I found an interesting article:

https://www.yourclassical.org/story/2017/01/26/violin-vs-fiddle

Basically it says, that there is no difference, it's the same instrument. It could be that the fiddles' strings are different, but usually it is just the style of music you play with it.

So I play both, lol.

And while we are at it. I changed my Duolingo course from Spanish/German to Spanish/English and there are different words used.

Like what is the difference between el coche and el carro? Both translate to the car.
And between el mesero and el camarero? Both translate to the waiter.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 07:35:37 AM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 27, 2024, 01:46:36 PM »
Thank you very much about the violin/fiddle thing! I've read the article and it was very useful.

About the Spanish words...well, for starters, sometimes we have more than a world for the same thing. Coche and carro can be an example, but there are also regional differences. You won't find an Argentinian saying "carro", that is something we say it comes from Mexican dubbing. We say coche and, much more frequently, auto. Nobody will look at you funny if you say coche, but auto is more common. A classical example of Mexican dubbing that we usually make fun of is "aparca el carro". That means to park the car. We say "estaciona". An Argentinian may say "carro" when talking about a rural transport driven by horses and perhaps in some other cases I do not remember right now. But never to a common car.
"Mesero" and "camarero" are the same. I think mesero is more used in México and camarero in Spain, but I am not 100% sure. But none of them is widely used in Argentina. We said "mozo" (which literally means young man). Sometimes instead of "moza" (the female version) people say "camarera". It sounds more fancy i think. But when we want to call the waiter we say mozo or directly "señor" or "señorita" for a woman waiter.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Yesterday at 06:39:57 AM »
@Dina. This is very interesting. Thank you. I thought it might be either regional differences or just synonyms.

We also mostly say Auto.
There is one word that seems to be related to Spanish carro and English car: der Karren or die Karre
Can be used perogative for a car, but in daily use, Karren is mostly used for non motorised transport devices with wheels.
Another word that is rarely used for car, but you can see or hear it once in a while: der Wagen.
But this can also mean any other vehicle or even trailers.

Auto is specific and precise. One can also see PKW for car in official documents or police reports or in the news. Which means Personenkraftwagen: a motorised vehicle for people.
There is also the widespread LKW for Lastkraftwagen: a motorised vehicle to transport heavy goods. A truck.

Mini is stressed out, because the weekend is so packed with everything she has to to and where she has to be at what time for the confirmation.
But my mother will make her tasty potatoe salad today, so at least she will have that to enjoy. :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Yesterday at 11:07:19 AM »
It seems that your daily use for Karren is like our common use for carro  (in Argentina).
Wagen reminds me to vagón (wagon) which is used for the compartments of a train.

it is good that Mini has something yummy to help her with the stressful days. Best wishes for her!

Apparently we will have a very cold weekend, with probably 2 C and even -2 in suburbia.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: Yesterday at 12:16:31 PM »
It seems that your daily use for Karren is like our common use for carro  (in Argentina).
Wagen reminds me to vagón (wagon) which is used for the compartments of a train.

it is good that Mini has something yummy to help her with the stressful days. Best wishes for her!

Apparently we will have a very cold weekend, with probably 2 C and even -2 in suburbia.

When talking about a train, there is the word "Waggon", emphasis on the "o".  ;D

Thanks for the well wishes. Mini is up in her room to 'meditate' before she'll have to face the unexpected visit to the church, lol.

2 and -2 °C sounds good to me, because right now I can't imagine any more what it feels like, lol. That's always the case during summer. One wishes to have winter temperatures back, but during winter one wishes summer temperatures back.
Tomorrow the forecast says 32°C. But on Sunday it will be only around 20, because it's going to be a rainy day.

Today I'm cleaning the house for the guests, because we won't be able to sit outside on Sunday. We'll have to move the furniture in the living room to make space for another table and seats.
And I must make muffins and a cake.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Yesterday at 01:30:22 PM »
When I was a child, it was common in my city to have below zero temperatures, but nowadays it is very rare. But luckily the forecast is for the weekend so we will have a nice cozy weekend, probably with soup and things like that.

Wishing you all the best too, with the cleaning, organizing and cooking.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: Yesterday at 08:55:50 PM »
Thank you. And enjoy your weekend.