Author Topic: The Blackstaff picks his successor.......  (Read 10114 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: The Blackstaff picks his successor.......
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 06:31:42 PM »
If they are still readable and he can read the old language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Aneirin

Still difficult to translate by modern professionals and then you have to find out what is actually ment because a lot of context is gone. And this is not a seventh century original and it was carefully written down.

Now the cursive notes of a wizard in the seventh century.

But do you really think if Merlin meant for Deamonreach to be the ultimate supernatural supermax, he'd write down the escape instructions in his journal?

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 08:14:15 PM »
If they are still readable and he can read the old language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Aneirin

Still difficult to translate by modern professionals and then you have to find out what is actually ment because a lot of context is gone. And this is not a seventh century original and it was carefully written down.

Now the cursive notes of a wizard in the seventh century.

Fair argument but Eb's over 300 years old. He's maybe three of four generations of wizards removed from Merlin so he may have a series of "commentaries" to add context as well.

But do you really think if Merlin meant for Deamonreach to be the ultimate supernatural supermax, he'd write down the escape instructions in his journal?

I don't think it's written in plain text but I would be astounded if he didn't have some form of  magical invisible ink or something like that. Most people would read the book, only those in the know could read the book. As the Librarians in Girl Genius say: "no I don't think you've read this book at all"
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »
More likely he used some obscure hints that only made sense to him or maybe his direct pupils. If he did not use some sort of code.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 10:02:21 PM »
More likely he used some obscure hints that only made sense to him or maybe his direct pupils. If he did not use some sort of code.

Maybe. I think there's some info in those journals that would really help Harry out.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »
Best way to do it is put something in the journals that only makes sense to someone who is already Warden- that the key command to unlock Demonreach once it's accepted you is in the journal, but you have to pass its assessment first.

It would be very Dresden files if the journals say "Whatever you do, don't name the avatar of the island."

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 03:58:15 AM »
Do you think Eb will choose Harry?  I suspect he might choose someone else like Carlos, setting up a showdown between Harry, and Carlos.
If it didn't go to Harry, I would like to see it go either get claimed by Mother Winter (in which she then might get more active...) or be claimed by someone like Cowl. I think it wouldn't be interesting for Carlos to get it, and as others point out he isn't quite senior enough. A new threat, perhaps even a neutral one, might be interesting. A new character that isn't on the Council or the bad guys or even Harry's team.

In terms of Council candidates there are hardly any. Morgan would have been the obvious choice, I think. But now most of the old guard are dead or debilitated. Luccio could use a boost but considering how easy it was to compromise her I don't think Eb would pick her. I don't see him picking anyone else on the Council either, most because they either would become too powerful or because it would be a terrible burden to give to one of his friends.

Harry still seems the best and obvious choice of course, as it gives him another way of standing up to both the Council and many otherwise much more scary foes. But we'll see. Jim isn't always predictable. And he normally if Harry gets a power up it's either half-useless without causing more pain to regular people OR it just means Harry has an even worse time. So if Harry does get the Blackstaff I don't expect Harry's life to get easier. Jim also might choose to give it to another character, perhaps an antagonist of Harry's, because it allows him to create more story problems and makes Dresden's life worse. He does love doing that.

Eb has the journals though. There may be details of a Way into Demonreach's vault or a way to access the vaults remotely hidden deep in there. (Unlikely, but possible).

That said, if you were to put the Eye on the Blackstaff it would probably help protect the wearer from the awful side effects of a hate-based radiation machine (or it could draw on Mother Winter's which may be worse?)
As interesting as that sounds, it might just kill Dresden to attempt to use the Eye. It's not just the corruption effect. It's also the sheer power. It would be like handling nuclear energy.
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
It's all in the timing of things now. This is all my opinion based on how much time is left in the books before the BAT. If Eb kicks it before the BAT, I could see Harry losing the WKnight mantle in the wrestling book only to pick up a bigger one in the next book, plus we might see the return of Thomas in that book to become the WKnight.
I could also see, since we are to believe Harry and Eb's relationship is strained to the point of breaking, that Eb doesn't have a replacement in mind and the council sticks there nose in it, making Carlos take it and having control over him and how he uses it.

If Eb survives to the BAT, Harry might be given the staff because by then, Eb might be reconciled with Harry and realizes that the staff needs to be separated from the WCouncil, that the council is too far gone to be saved and needs to be replaced.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 05:31:57 PM »
As interesting as that sounds, it might just kill Dresden to attempt to use the Eye. It's not just the corruption effect. It's also the sheer power. It would be like handling nuclear energy.
Millions of people handle nuclear energy, through the system of protection known as the power grid. Who says the Blackstaff can't do the same? ;)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 08:29:00 PM »
Millions of people handle nuclear energy, through the system of protection known as the power grid. Who says the Blackstaff can't do the same? ;)
Well, so far as we have seen the Blackstaff only staves off corruption from Blackmagic. I get your point though.

I think it's worth considering though that even Ethniu, while fully armoured in Titanic Bronze, still occasionally was injured by the Eye itself when it had feedback. And she was a Titan. Can you really see Dresden getting to use that much power without consequence?

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2021, 12:30:59 PM »
Well, so far as we have seen the Blackstaff only staves off corruption from Blackmagic. I get your point though.

I think it's worth considering though that even Ethniu, while fully armoured in Titanic Bronze, still occasionally was injured by the Eye itself when it had feedback. And she was a Titan. Can you really see Dresden getting to use that much power without consequence?

Redirecting all that harmful energy back into Mother Winter would be a consequence I'd say. She'd not be too happy about it and there may be some grander universal repercussions with her getting singed by feedback.

I mean the obvious answer to how Harry wields the eye and the rest of his arsenal at the BAT is simple: Giant Wizard Mecha  :P
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2021, 01:29:39 PM »
Redirecting all that harmful energy back into Mother Winter would be a consequence I'd say. She'd not be too happy about it and there may be some grander universal repercussions with her getting singed by feedback.

I mean the obvious answer to how Harry wields the eye and the rest of his arsenal at the BAT is simple: Giant Wizard Mecha  :P

One possible solution is Mother Winter actually agrees that Harry needs her staff for the BAT.  Why? We know the bad energy that goes along with wielding the Eye, perhaps the one thing that could protect the wielder from that energy like it does black magic, is the staff?  And why would Mother go
along with this?  If Harry and company lose, she loses too.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2021, 02:28:32 PM »
One possible solution is Mother Winter actually agrees that Harry needs her staff for the BAT.  Why? We know the bad energy that goes along with wielding the Eye, perhaps the one thing that could protect the wielder from that energy like it does black magic, is the staff?  And why would Mother go
along with this?  If Harry and company lose, she loses too.

Balor made it for some reason and Fate wants it with Harry. Given that MW is one of the Fates you may be on to something.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2021, 07:05:19 AM »

It definitely would be a possible consequence, but I am not sure that the Blackstaff actually CAN redirect that energy. I suspect Mother Winter herself could, based on what Jim said about how Uriel would tackle being fired upon by the Eye. I mean, if the Blackstaff were capable of redirecting the energy surely Eb would have tried to do just that a lot earlier.

I would love to see a giant Wizard mecha. Not sure how they would do it with all their technology issues, but still. Maybe if made by the Svartalves. You know, I wouldn't put it past Jim to put Mecha in. He is putting Kaiju in after all...

Balor made it for some reason and Fate wants it with Harry. Given that MW is one of the Fates you may be on to something.
We know why Balor made it: to destroy anything and everything he hated. That's as much implied as almost said in Battle Ground. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Powers That Be like Mother Winter etc did want Harry to have it, or rather allowed for the possibility for Harry to have it. Nothing that significant just happens.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2021, 01:05:57 PM »
It definitely would be a possible consequence, but I am not sure that the Blackstaff actually CAN redirect that energy. I suspect Mother Winter herself could, based on what Jim said about how Uriel would tackle being fired upon by the Eye. I mean, if the Blackstaff were capable of redirecting the energy surely Eb would have tried to do just that a lot earlier.

I would love to see a giant Wizard mecha. Not sure how they would do it with all their technology issues, but still. Maybe if made by the Svartalves. You know, I wouldn't put it past Jim to put Mecha in. He is putting Kaiju in after all...
We know why Balor made it: to destroy anything and everything he hated. That's as much implied as almost said in Battle Ground. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Powers That Be like Mother Winter etc did want Harry to have it, or rather allowed for the possibility for Harry to have it. Nothing that significant just happens.

I don't think the Blackstaff can tank a direct hit from the eye without someone incredibly logical holding it. My point was more referring to the hate radiation it would give off were Harry to try and use the eye. I don't know how else Harry would be able to use it, though maybe Harry has it to take it off the field as he's the one person you can trust not to use it.

I wonder if Balor really didn't like the Outsiders for some reason or if he was corrupted and that's why the Twyleth Teg (?) had to take him down.

And if Jim is putting in Kaiju we are absolutely getting a Mecha of some form.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2021, 01:41:38 PM »
I don't think the Blackstaff can tank a direct hit from the eye without someone incredibly logical holding it. My point was more referring to the hate radiation it would give off were Harry to try and use the eye. I don't know how else Harry would be able to use it, though maybe Harry has it to take it off the field as he's the one person you can trust not to use it.

I wonder if Balor really didn't like the Outsiders for some reason or if he was corrupted and that's why the Twyleth Teg (?) had to take him down.

And if Jim is putting in Kaiju we are absolutely getting a Mecha of some form.

Apparently the Blackstaff cannot ward off that kind of attack, Eb did end up in surgery at the end of Battlefield.  However it might protect the wielder of the Eye from it's hate, just as it protects it's wielder from black magic.