Author Topic: Spoilers: Different Names and Identities.  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Spoilers: Different Names and Identities.
« on: July 18, 2020, 11:00:32 PM »
Vadderung was Beowulf and Kringle. I wonder if he feels guilty about Vikings raiding, though then again I guess Uriel has regrets about Christianity's bloody past enough that Saladin was a KotC.

Anyway got me thinking of other names, hats and yes MANTLES.

Seen a theory going round that Ferrovax might also be Hades and the Erlking.

So Mab was most likely Nimue.

Personally think Titania was Morgana.

Ethniu was celtic goddess which fits with Formorians, but she's called a Titan. The Last Titan. Does she have a Greek equivalent?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Spoilers: Different Names and Identities.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 01:06:54 AM »
It is likeliest that Ferrovax is the dragon that Odin has contended against in many of his identities as Odin the Midgard Serpent, Beowulf’s Dragon etc. Currently Vadderung/Mr Ferro are probably business competitors.

There is even a story involving Saint Nicholas (Kringle) charming a Dragon, according to the St Nicolas Centre website, as one of his miracles. Vadderung has probably popped up as numerous Dragonslayers in mythology, and the Dragons were probably all Ferrovax. Perhaps they have been running a con for many, many years, Ferro turns up and terrorises an area, only for a dragonslayer (Odin) to step forward and ‘slay’ the dragon. A grateful populace showers wealth on Odin which he splits with Ferro who is very much alive.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 01:16:58 AM »
Perhaps they have been running a con for many, many years, Ferro turns up and terrorises an area, only for a dragonslayer (Odin) to step forward and ‘slay’ the dragon. A grateful populace showers wealth on Odin which he splits with Ferro who is very much alive.

I love this. If it's not true, it should be.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 03:28:41 AM »
haha I like it. My only contention is Vadderung lives up to his word although then again Odin is a trickster as well

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 05:26:33 AM »
Vadderung was Beowulf and Kringle. I wonder if he feels guilty about Vikings raiding, though then again I guess Uriel has regrets about Christianity's bloody past enough that Saladin was a KotC.

Anyway got me thinking of other names, hats and yes MANTLES.

Seen a theory going round that Ferrovax might also be Hades and the Erlking.

So Mab was most likely Nimue.

Personally think Titania was Morgana.

Ethniu was celtic goddess which fits with Formorians, but she's called a Titan. The Last Titan. Does she have a Greek equivalent?
The Greeks might have called them titans if they knew about them. They were the previous generation of gods that ruled before the current ones.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 07:32:45 AM »
Something to WAG about: with Titans an actual thing, why is the Summer Queen called Titania again? Who is she, really?  :o

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 04:20:13 AM »
Something to WAG about: with Titans an actual thing, why is the Summer Queen called Titania again? Who is she, really?  :o

Well the name comes from Shakespeare. (Just as Mab does.)

But in universe...

"Titania" can be interpreted as "daughter of (a) Titan". The Faerie Queens are apparently divided portions of Hecate, from SG. In Hesiod's Theogony, Hecate dates from the era of the Titans and retained her powers and honors when Zeus took over. So if Hecate is seen as a Titan the name could be a reference to her derivation from a part of Hecate's power (in which case it presumably wasn't her mortal name, but one she took after becoming Lady or Queen).

The triple nature of Hecate and her association with the underworld appear to come later. Arguably, in the Dresdenverse this could mean that Hecate was divided into the separate Faerie Queen mantles sometime in the classical period, after Hesiod's time but before the later sources - maybe 6th or 5th century BC.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »
We know enough from Cold Days that the creation of Mantles and the powering of the up could be done, but I suspect the power of Hecate AND the Fates went into the creation of the six Mantles, otherwise you are slicing Hecate a bit thin. This was done to create the Cuurent Defenders of the Gates, the Greek Gods being the previous Defenders, and the Accords being set up as the next Defenders.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
I suspect the power of Hecate AND the Fates went into the creation of the six Mantles, otherwise you are slicing Hecate a bit thin.

Basically, yeah. Though since Hecate and the Fates are quite separate characters in Greek myth, I would think that the Mantles of the Fates passed to the Faerie Queens later on.

This was done to create the Cuurent Defenders of the Gates, the Greek Gods being the previous Defenders

The Greek gods may have been defenders at one point, but I think the immediately-preceding defenders were probably the Norse powers (either Jotuns balanced by Aesir or Aesir balanced by Vanir).

The last big shake-up in Faerie, with Mab and Titania ascending to power, was around the Battle of Hastings - 11th century. This corresponds roughly with the Christianization of Scandinavia - thus probably the waning power of the Norse deities.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 04:56:23 PM »
We know enough from Cold Days that the creation of Mantles and the powering of the up could be done, but I suspect the power of Hecate AND the Fates went into the creation of the six Mantles, otherwise you are slicing Hecate a bit thin. This was done to create the Cuurent Defenders of the Gates, the Greek Gods being the previous Defenders, and the Accords being set up as the next Defenders.
I would guess that it was a lot more than just Hecate and the Fates.  In just the Greek pantheon, there's a pretty strong argument for Demeter and Persephone getting eaten into the faerie queens, and triple goddesses seem to pop up in lots of mythologies.

Idk about the Greek pantheon defending the Gates, but I could definitely see Vadderung being involved.  WoJ on Ferrovax and the duties of the big-D Dragons could also fit as retired defenders.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill