Author Topic: Harry's next power up  (Read 2589 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Harry's next power up
« on: July 03, 2018, 07:35:27 PM »
Have there ever been any fights where you were excited to show how much stronger Harry has gotten?

No, that's never been one of my concerns. I don't know if you've ever read [John] Sclazi's book, "Old Man's War"? There's a section in that book where they are talking about soldier and they say "soldiers never go to war with the equipment that they need. They only go with as much as they can get". It's sort of the same way with Harry. The extra power that he's got, all it's doing is getting him deeper in trouble. Which was the plan.

-----------------------------

So when Harry gains more power it leads to him getting deeper in trouble.  So under that premise what power would you like to see Harry obtain, and what cost or trouble would it lead to?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:38:17 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's next power up
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »
I'd like him to actually accept the black magic that's lurking around inside of him, and maybe go absorb a few dozen warlock's powers.
And do I need to explain the trouble that will come from this? heh
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »
Probably no more for a while. I don't think we've really seen the full implications of Soulfire and being Warden of Demonreach worked out, and Harry doesn't really understand the Starborn thing yet (though he seems to be able to use it instinctively in CD regardless) ... but I can see one more before the BAT.

Possibly something associated with Odin -- he has Soulfire from Uriel, the Winter Knight Mantle from Mab, he used to have Hellfire from Lasciel but rejected it... you could even count Lea giving Harry his mother's "Gem of Knowledge" ... most of the beings of cosmic significance who have taken an interest in Harry have given him some kind of power. But not Odin...

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 01:34:50 PM »
Probably no more for a while. I don't think we've really seen the full implications of Soulfire and being Warden of Demonreach worked out, and Harry doesn't really understand the Starborn thing yet (though he seems to be able to use it instinctively in CD regardless) ... but I can see one more before the BAT.

Possibly something associated with Odin -- he has Soulfire from Uriel, the Winter Knight Mantle from Mab, he used to have Hellfire from Lasciel but rejected it... you could even count Lea giving Harry his mother's "Gem of Knowledge" ... most of the beings of cosmic significance who have taken an interest in Harry have given him some kind of power. But not Odin...

Well, Dresden did call Mother Winter Skuld, one of the Norns, which fits the triple goddess triad theme they've got going on. That'd make Mab Veroandi, and Molly Uror. The funny part is that Skuld is the youngest Norn, but represents the future in the Edda, so that could fit one of the interpretations; personally, I think that Harry had them backwards. Anyway, the Norns are Jotuns, not Aesir, so I'm not sure Odin can give Harry an Aesir powerup. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Regardless, you have a good point. I feel like Odin will try to give Harry something, but I don't think it'll be a mantle or anything that represents a straight powerup as we've come to think of them. Aside from Harry having power that's loosely connected to Jotunheim, I don't think Odin has the leftover power to split. Maybe he can let him borrow Gungir (though I'd personally be pumped if he worked out a deal to hook up the Alphas with Fenris in some capacity).

I'd most like Harry to get a straight, Winter Knight-style power up from Hades. They share a connection, and Hades has a certain amount of respect for him, so I feel like they should solidify their bromance with an exchange of power.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:44:27 AM »
Rather than Harry obtaining new power, I think Harry needs to focus on not being terrible at using all the power he already has (He's by far the least skillful Wizard we've seen in the setting).

Power he has aplenty what he needs is to git gud.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:06:40 AM »
The ability to aim properly.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »
The ability to aim properly.

The Kincaid Mantle aka Deadshot?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »
Heh. Not necessarily, we don't need him to be that good, but at least to be able to hit a wall from 20m