Author Topic: Question re: Black Annis  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Lady Banshee

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Question re: Black Annis
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »
I hope someone here can help me out.  I’m writing a novel with a cameo by the faerie child eater, Black Annis.  She’s taken a baby and my heroes are trying to save the child before Black Annis hurts or kills him.  She’s dangling the baby precariously by one leg.

Question:  After writing the scene, I started wondering if Harry had also rescued a dangling baby from Black Annis.  I know there had to be something similar, but with so many Dresden books to sort through, I’m not sure I could find it.  I’ll happily change mine if it’s too similar to Jim’s.

Can anybody help me out?  Any and all help is hugely appreciated!

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question re: Black Annis
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »
The closest thing would be the short story Backup, but that's not Black Annis, but rather a hag.  Closest thing involving kidnapping of a small child that Harry's had to deal with, though.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
I don't think the woman in Backup was a hag.  She just kidnapped a kid to sacrifice him.

There were three hags with claws in Welcome to the Jungle, but they didn't do anything with kids.

There was the ghost that was killing newborns in GP, but she wasn't a hag, and there was no kidnapping.

I don't think any of those match up with the Black Annis.

Offline Lady Banshee

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.  I'll check your references just to make sure, but I'm pretty confident now that I wasn't copying anything Jim wrote.  I don't know if you guys try your hands at writing, but it's hard when you think you've written something pretty darned cool only to have after-thoughts that maybe some other author wrote it first!  So thank you once again, I soooo appreciate your help!

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.  I'll check your references just to make sure, but I'm pretty confident now that I wasn't copying anything Jim wrote.  I don't know if you guys try your hands at writing, but it's hard when you think you've written something pretty darned cool only to have after-thoughts that maybe some other author wrote it first!  So thank you once again, I soooo appreciate your help!

Or to get excited about a new idea you have for your own series only to realize, "Wait, Butcher already did that, and better. Crap." I'm to the point where I'm convinced that either Mr. Butcher and I think remarkably alike, or I've been reading the series for so long that it's become internalized and unconsciously affects how I think up creative ideas.

Offline happyelf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 11:02:15 PM »
In the cal Leandro’s series by rob Thurman there is a scene where cal rescues a child from Black Annis if I remember right couldn’t tell u which one specifically it’s been years since I read any of the series fell I know it wasn’t what I were asking but just in case thought I would mention it :D ;)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 10:03:41 PM »
I've only just seen this, maybe I'm a bit late, but there's one scene that's similar, but not exactly like yours, where Harry rescues Ivy from the nickelhead's magic circle. (She was floating around in it, and rotating, I believe)
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير