Author Topic: Unsolved Mystery Book9 Cowl again  (Read 14522 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mystery Book9 Cowl again
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
Practice makes perfect.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »
Cowl does what the outsiders want him to do. Someone might be deluded into thinking he can use an outsider for his own purpose but to knowingly bring Nemesis here shows something more.

The outsiders want to destabalize things and weaken those who defend the gates, the council and the fairy courts. Their main pawn at that time was the red court and the white court was supposed to be their ally but they were not really doing anything against the council. Cowl wanted to change that.

Failing that weakening them would create opportunities for the fomor or the red court to expand or something like that.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »
My main question with Cowl: Is he A) nemfected, B) working willing with Nemesis to achieve shared goals, or C) working with nemesis with the intent to later betray them and try to take more power/exploit the situation they have created for himself?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
My main question with Cowl: Is he A) nemfected, B) working willing with Nemesis to achieve shared goals, or C) working with nemesis with the intent to later betray them and try to take more power/exploit the situation they have created for himself?

I'd say that he is working for the same side as Nemesis, evidence for that is he delivered the infected Knife at Bianca's party...   Is he after a huge chunk of power for himself?  That was answered in Dead Beat when he attempted and almost pulled off Death Hallow.  The same could be said for Mavra, who was also after Kemmler's book.  So yeah, in that light it is a give that either Cowl or Mavra could betray the power they are working for in the belief that they could ultimately replace them.. 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 08:50:55 PM »
Maybe all of thee above with a) being the least likely.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »
I'm still unconvinced that mankind CAN be Nemfected.

I think it would be really easy for a nemfected wizard to summon outsiders, as human wizards are the only ones who can.

Now if Cowl were nemfected, wouldn't it make more sense for him to go around nemfecting other wizards to summon more outsiders?

No, Cowl isn't nemfected.

He IS however working with Nemesis.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »

I think it would be really easy for a nemfected wizard to summon outsiders, as human wizards are the only ones who can.

Now if Cowl were nemfected, wouldn't it make more sense for him to go around nemfecting other wizards to summon more outsiders?

I'm not sure why mortals couldn't be infected. Why wouldn't they? I know it fails the logic test that an infected mortal would just call up all the Outsiders they need, but there might be an element to Nemesis infection that makes doing that impossible. Infected wizards may have their magic changed enough that it no longer functions identically to mortal magic. Personally, I believe that summoning Outsiders requires an act of free will, and Nemesis infection supplants or subverts it enough that it no longer works.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »
I think Nemesis infection is a spiritual infection similar to a denarian shadow. It is a form of possession as shown by Cat Sith when Nemesis took completely over but in that mode it is easily detected. Usually it just sits there influencing the hosts nature and decisions.

It can infect everything and everyone that can have power because it is basically outsider power at least as it expresses itself this side of the gate.

It can even infect a knife so a wizzard should not be a fundamental problem.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »

I'm not sure why mortals couldn't be infected. Why wouldn't they? I know it fails the logic test that an infected mortal would just call up all the Outsiders they need, but there might be an element to Nemesis infection that makes doing that impossible. Infected wizards may have their magic changed enough that it no longer functions identically to mortal magic. Personally, I believe that summoning Outsiders requires an act of free will, and Nemesis infection supplants or subverts it enough that it no longer works.

What we've seem to see so far is that Nemfection allows the one infected to go against their nature and do things they could not do before.

Mortals/Mankind already can do that.  We can already go against our natures and do things that we really shouldn't be able to do.

Thus, I don't think it's possible to be nemfected.

At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »

What we've seem to see so far is that Nemfection allows the one infected to go against their nature and do things they could not do before.

Mortals/Mankind already can do that.  We can already go against our natures and do things that we really shouldn't be able to do.

Thus, I don't think it's possible to be nemfected.
That would only makes an infection more difficult to detect. Humans have nature, power, spirit so until something disproves it I have to assume humans can be infected.

There is no reason to change the human to something else first.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 09:38:23 PM »
One possibility with the nem-infected is that it takes those beings with a nature and gives them a form of free will; so, perhaps, it gives those with free will and gives them a nature. There has to be a method to Nemesis madness.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 10:33:30 PM »
One possibility with the nem-infected is that it takes those beings with a nature and gives them a form of free will; so, perhaps, it gives those with free will and gives them a nature. There has to be a method to Nemesis madness.
People with free will still have a nature, they just have the free will to override it (which they almost never do anyway)
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 01:02:31 AM »
I'd say that he is working for the same side as Nemesis, evidence for that is he delivered the infected Knife at Bianca's party...   Is he after a huge chunk of power for himself?  That was answered in Dead Beat when he attempted and almost pulled off Death Hallow.

It's cute that people still believe he was seriously attempting the Darkhallow even after he shows up again doing nothing with any connection to it.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 01:04:28 AM »
I'm not sure why mortals couldn't be infected. Why wouldn't they?

Mortals being susceptible to Nemesis infection is counter-Occamian.  Every case that has been cited as possible Nemesis infection of a mortal, we already had at least one perfectly good explanation for before CD.  The only thing Nemesis actually explains is Aurora.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 02:14:39 AM »
It's cute that people still believe he was seriously attempting the Darkhallow even after he shows up again doing nothing with any connection to it.
He didn't start the vortex, I think that was Grevane; but, he definitely wasn't saying no to seconds at the power buffet.
Make Mine Butcher!