Author Topic: Will Harry meet the real Maeve?  (Read 16170 times)

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Will Harry meet the real Maeve?
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
I think she was already nemfected. Why would Nemesis wait?

There is no eye twinkling in SK, which was the clue JB used in PG that she was infected.

Maeve helped defeat Aurora's plan by saving Harry on the battlefield. Why would Nemesis let Maeve help Harry defeat its own plan? If Maeve was already infected, she let's Harry die, Aurora's plan succeeds, and Nemesis wins.

Finally , if I recall, Maeve mentions being sent by Lea. This is an on screen mention of a meeting as to when Maeve could have been infected, which was after the first time we saw Maeve. Personally, I don't think Maeve was infected during hat meeting - I think she made a deal with Lea to help Harry and she was infected later when she went to collect on the deal.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't think she was Nemfected in SK.  I think she was just nasty.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
I agree, infection happened between SK and PG.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2017, 05:39:52 AM »
Except that Aurora must have gotten the infection from someone and Maeve is the logical link ith the athame.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
Aurora's infection predates Maeve's infection. Considering it took several years for Maeve to be completely entralled by it; I would say it took Aurora several years to go "full Shane." And, who was relatively new to Summer Court prior to SK and herself trying to throw off an enthrallment? Why Elaine, of course.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »
I think Maeve was infected in Summer Knight. I don't think Aurora was necessarily infected at all. We only have Lily's testimony on the matter, and Maeve—so really, just Maeve, considering how much she had manipulated Lily. Personally, I think that Nemesis had begun working on Maeve, but did it slower and more deliberately, over time; Sith wasn't done properly, which is why Nemesis had to take full control. I think Nemesis used Maeve's impotence in Summer Knight (like when she could barely control Lloyd) to manipulate her more—and Harry's flippant attitude didn't help.

Molly said that the best way to screw with someone's mind is to just enhance personality traits. I think that's what Nemesis was doing. She was always cruel, but Nemesis made her crueler.

As for the mad twinkle, I think that's specifically an indication of when Maeve lies, not a blanket sign of infection, if that makes sense.

Summer Knight is also the last book we see Lea on page before she's imprisoned, and she'd already sold Harry's debt. I take that as a sign that she had been busily spreading the infection.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
Aurora's compassion for humanity was enhanced in exactly the way you described. She did something that should have been impossible (betrayed summer and tried to destroy it) and Titania admits that Aurora's death was necessary. I think that is substantial evidence she was infected.

Lea still has the Athame in SK - she sold Harry's debt to balance the scales of power so she could keep it and she isn't imprisoned until after SK. That means Lea could still be infecting people in SK and suggests she wasn't caught until after the book.

Except that Aurora must have gotten the infection from someone and Maeve is the logical link ith the athame.

Why is Maeve the logical link when Lea had the Athame?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »
Aurora's compassion for humanity was enhanced in exactly the way you described. She did something that should have been impossible (betrayed summer and tried to destroy it) and Titania admits that Aurora's death was necessary. I think that is substantial evidence she was infected.

Very good point.
Lea still has the Athame in SK - she sold Harry's debt to balance the scales of power so she could keep it and she isn't imprisoned until after SK. That means Lea could still be infecting people in SK and suggests she wasn't caught until after the book.

True enough. I just don't see any personality difference between Summer Knight Maeve and Cold Days Maeve. They act perfectly consistently with one another, except there is conclusive proof that she lies as of Proven Guilty, and there's nothing to disprove anything she says in Summer Knight.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
I don't think there was a personality difference. Maeve was perfect for Nemesis because she was already cruel and resentful. I think she formed a willing alliance with Nemesis like Anduriel/Nicodemus while in other instances Nemesis uses brute Force (Cat Sith) to take over his victim (Ursiel) or subtle manipulation while remaining concealed (Aurora) like Lash/Shiela tried with Harry.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
When you consider that Maeve had already been avoiding performing her duties, the real difference between SK Maeve and DB or CD Maeve is that she was able to lie.

And didn't Mab confirm in CD that it was Leah who infected Maeve through the Athame?  Or did she just confirm that it was the Athame?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »
I don’t think there is that much nemesis infected stuff at this side of the gates otherwise Nemesis would just go for mass infection. In stead it carefully selects its targets.

It must be difficult for Nemesis to bring it here. I think we can safely assume the dagger is the source of all known infections.

Nemesis had no reason to wait. Maeve was an obvious target so she was next. After that they sought some distraction and Aurora was perfect.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
I'm confused, Arjan.  Do you think Maeve was infected prior to (or in) Summer Knight?>

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
I'm confused, Arjan.  Do you think Maeve was infected prior to (or in) Summer Knight?>
Yes. I do not see any reason for Nemesis to wait especially since Lea was resisting and keeping her under control must have taken some effort. Better to secure the target as soon as possible.

She might not have been aware of the infection yet though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:01:49 PM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »
Yes. I do not see any reason for Nemesis to wait especially since Lea was resisting and keeping her under control must have taken some effort. Better to secure the target as soon as possible.

As there is only about a year between GP and SK, I'm not thinking that Nemesis could have taken Leah over enough in that time to have forced her to infect Maeve.  Further I don't think Leah would have gone around waving the Athame around and showing it off to Maeve.

I'd need more evidence to support a Nemfected Maeve in SK.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »

What makes you think Lea was aware of the Nemfection in SK?