Author Topic: Looking for pratical help stating Svartalfvar  (Read 2687 times)

Offline BearsDragon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Looking for pratical help stating Svartalfvar
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »
So one of my players is playing a Redneck "Svartelf" Changeling. Who may have irratated Salkint, his dear old dad, by upgrading the hot tub his old man built for Kringle.  Since the group now has to negotiate with Salkint this has become an issue, since now they have to get water from Mímir's well before they even begin negoations.  Since there is no information in game out about the svartalvar, any thoughts on what powers might be appropriate for one that will a recurring NPC be in the game?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for pratical help stating Svartalfvar
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 02:13:16 AM »
Svartalfar are mostly known for crafting, right? So Ritual would seem appropriate.

Offline BearsDragon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
Ritual: Crafting seems aproperate, as do high craftsmanship and craftsmanship out the yang. Unless they have Fay Magic which would make retooling Summer or Winter Magic . I've seen things that reference them as having significant levels of both physical and magical badassary. I know in one of the more recent short stories Harry had to maneuver around one rather than take his usual blunt force approach.  That is my benchmark for the level of strenght Salkint should have. I think they are fay with cold iron dificulties, because Harry's fully upgraded circle had most of the  exorbitant  cost coming from the fact that the circle included work in cold iron. Wishing there was an official template. Closest thing is the blurb that says don't irritate them from DFRPG Accelerated.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:39:55 AM »
I don't think I've read that story...what did the svartalf do in it?

Going by a glance at the wiki, Flesh Mask is probably appropriate. Maybe also full wizard casting, with some crafting-focused Refinements. Going all-in on enchanted items can be pretty damn effective.

And then of course there are the fey standbyes. Strength, Speed, Toughness, Recovery, and Glamours.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »
I know this one in cold days it said that Svartalf's are both a race and an independent nation reconized by the accords. They are increadably powerful crafters whom are able to create mana static proof tech and potent enchantments on many things like electrics and automobiles and wards on all of it to boot. Further I myself have played in a 3 year campaign as an svartalf scion artificer who could build golems and enchantments on most kinds of stuff and fix anything. So in closing they are not fairies so they have no weakness to cold iron, and are fiercly independent and believe in Equivalent Exchange, I would start with ritual crafting then move on to thaumaturgy and perhaps take alternate magical paradigm which allows you to select different skills for Magic and then if you want simple go for option slots nothing sounds more fun than a good ol caster gun shooting "spell bullets".
Vae Victus

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »
I don't think I've read that story...what did the svartalf do in it?
Harry was hired by a bigfoot to help his son at a human boarding-school.  The kid was being bullied by a privileged-rich-asshole type... who had, it turned out, a Svartalf bodyguard.  Svartalf was able to shut down Harry's power pretty completely, rendering the bully off-limits; so Harry had to work indirectly.