The Dresden Files > DF Spoilers

WAG: What Rashid's Eye Does...

<< < (5/6) > >>

ClintACK:
The Fates are one incarnation of the Triple Goddess (like the Norns) -- the precursor to the Faerie Queens.

One version (from the Perseus legends, if I recall correctly) has them as three hags sharing a magical eye that they pass around between them.

Most particularly, when Harry "summons" Mother Winter, in Cold Days, two of the names he uses for her are Athropos (which I assume is an alternate spelling for Atropos, the eldest of the Fates and the one who cuts the threads of life) and Skuld (one of the Norns).

So... I'd guess that Rashid is saying he got the Eye from the Mothers when they assigned him his role as Gatekeeper.

Rasins:
Sorry, I was really focusing on the Questionable part.

Quantus:

--- Quote from: ClintACK on June 29, 2017, 05:45:32 PM ---The Fates are one incarnation of the Triple Goddess (like the Norns) -- the precursor to the Faerie Queens.

One version (from the Perseus legends, if I recall correctly) has them as three hags sharing a magical eye that they pass around between them.

--- End quote ---
Those are the Graeae, They were tricked into revealing the secrets to defeating medusa.  They were another example Triplet Goddess, but they didnt really get combined with the Fates (Moirai) until the Disney Hercules. 

--- Quote ---Most particularly, when Harry "summons" Mother Winter, in Cold Days, two of the names he uses for her are Athropos (which I assume is an alternate spelling for Atropos, the eldest of the Fates and the one who cuts the threads of life) and Skuld (one of the Norns).

So... I'd guess that Rashid is saying he got the Eye from the Mothers when they assigned him his role as Gatekeeper.

--- End quote ---
Agreed, the Fates he is referring to are, I think, the Moirai of which the Mothers (one or both) are members. 

--- Quote from: Rasins on June 29, 2017, 05:53:23 PM ---Sorry, I was really focusing on the Questionable part.

--- End quote ---
Id go with "Attention that is not clearly known to be benevolent."  As in "I made this Deal, and I dont know if it was a good idea."  You know, like becoming The Warden of the cosmic Supermax because you wanted a home court advantage in a single fight a few years back.   :P

Zaphodess:
The Eye is something other than merely the Sight. The way I read this passage is that Rashid clearly talks about two diferent things here. The Sight can help, but its dangerous and not reliable. His Eye is the thing that gets the job done.

knnn:

--- Quote from: Rasins on June 29, 2017, 05:53:23 PM ---Sorry, I was really focusing on the Questionable part.

--- End quote ---

Remember that Mab calls Rashid "that desert Fox" back in Summer Knight?   Mab uses the same animal earlier in the book when she tells Harry about the myth of the Fox and the Scorpion (with herself as the Scorpion). 

Coincidence or reminiscence over previous encounters with the Gatekeeper?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version