Author Topic: Converting d20 Adventure Modules to DFRPG  (Read 11211 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Converting d20 Adventure Modules to DFRPG
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
Edit (and a slight digression from the main topic):
Now, I feel like Kobolds need scholarship if we are going with the computer nerd angle. (as weird as that sounds)  But it just seems like such a fun thing.  How many stunts would you need to cover all angles of computer use under burglary?

- breaking into a computer is already burglary, I think
- Hacking stunt lets you do computer 'scholarship' roles with Burglary....
-writing programs/viruses/firewalls etc...would all be covered under scholarship?  Or would that be Craftsmanship.  You know, I think it fits better under Craftsmanship, which they already have.  What are your thoughts?  'Computer Use' is a single trapping of scholarship.  1 stunt could make Computer Use a Craftsmanship Trapping.  Which means their stunt to create 'viruses' would be based on Craftsmanship and not burglary(or scholarship) and would put it at +5.  I like that.
Hard to say, the line between them always seemed a little blurry.  I guess Id say that if your talking about the abstract science of Computers or electricity it might be scholarship, as opposed to a more active goal-oriented craft.  On the other hand, Id be fine letting a skilled smith be knowledgeable at chemical metallurgy without needing a separate skill.  Given that their craft is so high, I think it's reasonable to let it also cover the intellectual/scholoarship  aspects o the related field. 

As far as tasks, on of the more common ones would probably be the old Everything is Online (TvTropes Warning) and let them hack keypads and ATMs and alarm systems and whatnot, even if they'd not normally be online and/or vulnerable.

Another might be targeted Hexes.  Combine the basic Hex idea with more specific control (because non-human) and knowledge of modern systems to allow much more specific, targeted, and/or possibly temporary Hexes.  Like they could hex a security camera to malfunction for just a second without being destroyed.  Maybe you can hex/corrupt targeted computer files rather than blowing up the whole machine.  Or make the compute fail without damaging the hard drive and the Valuables contained within.

If you really want to take them into the realm of technopaths, you could expand the Virtual Lair idea to give them powers that can interact with Virtual things as if they were more tangible (rather than adhering to the science of it). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »
Maybe give them mana static.  But totally controlled?   Based on craftsmanship. 

I guess it's up to RedRobe to decide how his kobolds will be.  But I'm liking this idea.

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »

Another possibility that could work in this instance is an ongoing disguise spell anchored to the building's threshold/wards.  Especially given the kobolds craftiness and natural penchant for bunker fortifications. 
I like the idea of a ward that disguises them as human teenagers as they enter for their shift. In the adventure background, the restaurant is owned/run by a dwarf who is trying to help Shadowkind find jobs. So maybe the owner is an enterprising practitioner who used his ties to a svartalf to ward his restaurants so he could hire monsters trying to stay on the straight and narrow. All non-humans who enter are glamored to look human so they can eat and work peacefully. At some point during the gang intrusion it gets overloaded and fails, and chaos ensues.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
I don't know the Urban Arcana supplement, but I infer from this thread that it has a built-in setting (or at least specific tropes/memes), and what you REALLY want is to use the DFRPG ruleset to run those UA pieces (& sundry other bits of the vast PF repertoire), rather than the DresdenVerse itself...

Is that a fair assessment?

If so... this may not be your best fit, actually.  DFRPG has been heavily tweaked away from the "Fate Core" ruleset, to specific DresdenVerse elements.  I might go with a more-homogenous blend of Fate Core + Fate Freeport + Urban Arcana, and use elements of DFRPG without trying to use the entire ruleset+setting...

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »
I don't know the Urban Arcana supplement, but I infer from this thread that it has a built-in setting (or at least specific tropes/memes), and what you REALLY want is to use the DFRPG ruleset to run those UA pieces (& sundry other bits of the vast PF repertoire), rather than the DresdenVerse itself...

Is that a fair assessment?

If so... this may not be your best fit, actually.  DFRPG has been heavily tweaked away from the "Fate Core" ruleset, to specific DresdenVerse elements.  I might go with a more-homogenous blend of Fate Core + Fate Freeport + Urban Arcana, and use elements of DFRPG without trying to use the entire ruleset+setting...
Actually no, I do want to use the DFRPG in the Dresdenverse. As I mentioned above I wanted a framework for an adventure since I'm new to actually PLAYING the game, and I think the module is a good fit. About half my group knows and loves the Dresden Files books, and want to play in that setting. They all want an urban fantasy game that uses a system other than d20. I realize I will have to tweak the module to fit DF, not the other way around. Among my group I'm the only one who takes pre-printed material and tweaks it to my chosen setting rather than make adventures from scratch. I really enjoy it.   :)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 07:07:19 AM »
1) Power Level. The module assumes 1st level characters unaware of the supernatural, so I was thinking the PCs would start at Feet in the Water. One player has expressed interest in playing a werewolf, so I thought he could take some of the basic required were-powers and build up as they hit major milestones. Story-wise it may be that they'll all just be familiar wih their own powers and lore, but have only heard stories of other creatures and supernatural abilities.

I don't know much about d20 Modern, but if it's anything like regular D&D then the power levels will probably be difficult to convert evenly. D&D has a much wider range of character power.

Feet in the Water characters are a lot more impressive than 1st level characters, so if you really want to fit the module you'll probably have to go lower. But there's probably no way to match the power levels in the long term if you want to keep using D20 material; even after a dozen major milestones a DFRPG character will never dwarf their past self the way a D&D character does.

So if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. Probably easiest just to stat everything to suit your own game, no matter what level it theoretically is.

I have glanced at Night Fears and Neutral Grounds, but didn't care for either. Are there more than those two?

Head over to the Adventures section here.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 09:52:58 PM »
So if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. Probably easiest just to stat everything to suit your own game, no matter what level it theoretically is.

This is what I was thinking we'd do.  Where the flavour fits (hobgoblins using Dresden Hobgoblins etc..), you just use pre-statted foes.

@RedRobe
-I think you choose your level (feet in water sounds good because they are not completely clued in)
-You use Dresden Lore
-You use the plot of a pre-generated adventure and you slot the villains/foes into dresden lore.  I like the Kobolds because they can easily be used as dragon hench-men.  You can weave them into your City etc...

IMO, I don't see the point of having a one-shot with an enemy that you'll never see again.  I recommend you do a city-building session with your group.  If you want to have a Dwarven restaurant owner that hires supernatural creatures, it might even be fun to say one or more of the PCs work there.

I'm still partial to the mafia dragons, though.  Maybe the Dwarf works for one of the dragons...

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 02:25:52 PM »
Taran, you have mentioned hobgoblins in your posts. To my knowledge, there are only goblins statted in Our World. Are you referring to hobs (which are nothing like hobgoblins) or is that just what you refer to them as?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:05:29 AM by RedRobe »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
  Actually no, I do want to use the DFRPG in the Dresdenverse. As I mentioned above I wanted a framework for an adventure since I'm new to actually PLAYING the game, and I think the module is a good fit. About half my group knows and loves the Dresden Files books, and want to play in that setting. They all want an urban fantasy game that uses a system other than d20. I realize I will have to tweak the module to fit DF, not the other way around. 

Your use of the UA idea of "Shadow" and "Shadowkind" seemed non-Dresden.  I think these need some extra work...  How/why are these creatures -- presumably Nevernever natives -- residing in the mortal world?  Some kind of faerie?  Some kind of "changed" mortal, such as a were or a RedCourt vamp?  Might they represent (eventually, in campaign-play) allies or adversaries (or some of each; or something more complicated; etc...) ?

You've got a problem, conceptually, with the apparent "mainstreaming" these monsters seem to be trying (or maybe I misunderstood?).  The "glamour" / ward, or whatever, that makes them pass as normal in the shop is all well and good, but... what do they do IN THE REST OF THEIR LIVES (with no glamour protecting them)?  Not so mainstream then ...  Or do the "commute to work" straight from the Nevernever, and are NOT trying to "mainstream"?  If they're mainstreaming, aybe the boss can give them some sort of temporary (potion?) or loaner "Look Normal Veil" magic (Elaine used a subtle "nothing worth noticing here" Veil against Harry in "White Night," so something of the sort seems do-able)...

Or pick an existing Dresdenverse being; why might a group of them want to work in a restaurant?  Refugees from a hostile kingdom of the Nevernever?  Maybe they arrived with some mortal refugees, and are from that culture's myth/folklore (rather than the notably Celto-Nordic ones that Harry mostly knows)...?

Etc...

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 10:04:36 PM »
Your use of the UA idea of "Shadow" and "Shadowkind" seemed non-Dresden.  I think these need some extra work...  How/why are these creatures -- presumably Nevernever natives -- residing in the mortal world?  Some kind of faerie?  Some kind of "changed" mortal, such as a were or a RedCourt vamp?  Might they represent (eventually, in campaign-play) allies or adversaries (or some of each; or something more complicated; etc...) ?

You've got a problem, conceptually, with the apparent "mainstreaming" these monsters seem to be trying (or maybe I misunderstood?).  The "glamour" / ward, or whatever, that makes them pass as normal in the shop is all well and good, but... what do they do IN THE REST OF THEIR LIVES (with no glamour protecting them)?  Not so mainstream then ...  Or do the "commute to work" straight from the Nevernever, and are NOT trying to "mainstream"?  If they're mainstreaming, aybe the boss can give them some sort of temporary (potion?) or loaner "Look Normal Veil" magic (Elaine used a subtle "nothing worth noticing here" Veil against Harry in "White Night," so something of the sort seems do-able)...

Or pick an existing Dresdenverse being; why might a group of them want to work in a restaurant?  Refugees from a hostile kingdom of the Nevernever?  Maybe they arrived with some mortal refugees, and are from that culture's myth/folklore (rather than the notably Celto-Nordic ones that Harry mostly knows)...?

Etc...

I know I've said it a bunch but: Two dragons running parts of the city would cool.  They could travel through established ways or you could have an underground tunnel system which would be in keeping with kobolds. 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 12:38:21 PM »

I dont think that is as big of an issue as you think, (though I dont think Im fully getting your image of "mainstreaming"?).  Just spittballing some possibilities here:

The shop would, presumably, cater to all kinds of non-human clientèle.  Based on the internet-guru basement-horde dwellers description I'd expect most of the actual Kobold gang/tribe would live in-house (which would be needed to provide a proper threshold anyway) and that the place would have three entrances: street level, an UnderTown entrance for those that have trouble entering streetside, and a porperly anchored NN Way entrance.  The Kobolds likely could craft potions, etc to carry veils outside if needed, but for internet enthusiasts in the era of Amazon Now 2-hour delivery they might not actually need to leave all that much, at least not in broad daylight.  The other clients would be responsible for their own travel arrangements.   The shop could more or less be a Non-human counterpart to Mac's.  Might even be fun to run the quest where they want to get it declared Accorded Neutral Ground.

As far as what they do besides run the shop, Information Brokers comes to mind.  A few in the tribe that lean more toward Supernatural Fences/middlemen would work too.  Basically as a hub of the supernatural Black Market. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 05:55:48 PM »
I know I've said it a bunch but: Two dragons running parts of the city would cool.  They could travel through established ways or you could have an underground tunnel system which would be in keeping with kobolds.
This might work. In Urban Arcana there is a silver dragon working behind the scenes as the benefactor of a do-gooder group that works to stop incursions of evil supernatural creatures while protecting the good ones. He could be one of the two trying to run the city. I would probably make them lesser dragons.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 09:04:15 PM »
This might work. In Urban Arcana there is a silver dragon working behind the scenes as the benefactor of a do-gooder group that works to stop incursions of evil supernatural creatures while protecting the good ones. He could be one of the two trying to run the city. I would probably make them lesser dragons.
That would be my recommendation, the lesser dragons are still damn beefy in all regards, just not full deity level
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »
I dont think that is as big of an issue as you think, (though I dont think Im fully getting your image of "mainstreaming"?).

And I may, in my turn, have completely misunderstood what the OP envisioned.

Here's the crux of it:  Why in the world are these supernaturals (Kobolds) working as "staff" in a public cafe/restaurant???

Brownies clean, it's just their nature.  Cobbs make and repair shoes, and that's THEIR nature.
What kind of supernatural being waits tables, busses dirty dishes, does the barista bit, etc?

And keeps regular working hours?

In jobs that bring them into frequent contact with non-clued mortals?

In the Dresden'verse, I keep WTF'ing...

So it looks to me like they are trying to "mainstream:"  trying to life a day-to-day life largely as if they were mortals themselves.  Working and living alongside mortals.  Passing as mortals.

Maybe that's just me, misunderstanding the OP ...

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 08:11:03 PM »
And I may, in my turn, have completely misunderstood what the OP envisioned.

Here's the crux of it:  Why in the world are these supernaturals (Kobolds) working as "staff" in a public cafe/restaurant???

Brownies clean, it's just their nature.  Cobbs make and repair shoes, and that's THEIR nature.
What kind of supernatural being waits tables, busses dirty dishes, does the barista bit, etc?

And keeps regular working hours?

In jobs that bring them into frequent contact with non-clued mortals?

In the Dresden'verse, I keep WTF'ing...

So it looks to me like they are trying to "mainstream:"  trying to life a day-to-day life largely as if they were mortals themselves.  Working and living alongside mortals.  Passing as mortals.

Maybe that's just me, misunderstanding the OP ...
I guess I should clarify that I am including things outside of Dresden Files canon to make the setting my own. Not a lot, mind you, but things like kobolds and other D&D creatures that were taken from real world mythology and folklore. In my version not all creatures come from the Nevernever, and have always been of Earth. I will most likely pull a bit from Supernatural and similar shows as I have seen done on several PBP games here and on other sites.