Author Topic: Converting d20 Adventure Modules to DFRPG  (Read 11211 times)

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
Converting d20 Adventure Modules to DFRPG
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:47:51 PM »
My group has agreed to try the DFRPG, but only really has experience with d20 systems. I had planned to run a d20 Modern game, but they were more interested in a completely different system for an urban fantasy game. I want to keep things simple on my end, so I thought about converting a d20 Modern module to Dresden to have something going on in the background for them to interact with. Has anyone had any experience with converting d20 modules to DFRPG or Fate in general? Some things I have to consider:

1) Power Level. The module assumes 1st level characters unaware of the supernatural, so I was thinking the PCs would start at Feet in the Water. One player has expressed interest in playing a werewolf, so I thought he could take some of the basic required were-powers and build up as they hit major milestones. Story-wise it may be that they'll all just be familiar wih their own powers and lore, but have only heard stories of other creatures and supernatural abilities.
2) D&D races and creatures. I will try to stick to Dresdenverse creatures when possible, but there are several I will have to build, such as kobolds, bugbears, giant spiders, an oni (ogre mage) and a demon or two (eventually).

I'm sure I'll think of more, but this is a good start. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Converting d20 Adventure Modules to DFRPG
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
I hate to be a doom-sayer (And others might have had better experiences), but Im not sure it can be done, at least not all that directly.  You could probably cannibalize a d20 urban fantasy mod for the plot portions (the story, characters, mystery, etc), but the two systems arent very comparable as a fundamental level.  D20 is, first and foremost, a hard-rules dice system where RP is secondary (and optional, honestly). By contrast Fate and the DFRPG are fundamentally a narrative system (even moreso than some popular narrative systems like White Wolf/Vampire/Scion systems) where the story itself defines the mechanical capabilities of the characters, and where level-style progression isnt strictly a thing. 

So I guess the question is: What are you looking to get out of the pre-written module vs What are you willing to do from scratch.  I wouldnt count on anything relating to d20 rules to be at all transferable, at least in any but the most abstract flavor ways. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »
I'm not that great at on-the-fly GMing unless I have some stuff prepared. Since this will be my first attempt at running a new system, I figure having a module as a guide will help. As long as I get the feel of the creatures, they don't have to be a feature-by-feature recreation. I like the way the Fate Freeport Companion handles creature conversion for a D&D style game, and thought something similar could be done using Dresden.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
I'm not that great at on-the-fly GMing unless I have some stuff prepared. Since this will be my first attempt at running a new system, I figure having a module as a guide will help. As long as I get the feel of the creatures, they don't have to be a feature-by-feature recreation. I like the way the Fate Freeport Companion handles creature conversion for a D&D style game, and thought something similar could be done using Dresden.
I feel you, that's why I usually fail as a DM.  Any particular objection to starting with one of the pre-written DFRPG adventures? Then you dont have to worry about conversion rules or clashing philosophies or untested mechanics. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:08:05 PM »
I have glanced at Night Fears and Neutral Grounds, but didn't care for either. Are there more than those two?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »
I think it's a cool idea. 

I'm not at my computer but would be willing to help.  I will give more details when I have time.   For now:

What adventure is it?   I might own it

Sticking to Dresden factions is a good idea.  Replacing the main enemy (for instance goblins) with a Dresden faction (hobgoblins or red court vampires) would be easiest.  You may have to tweak the plot somewhat to fit the Dresden world.   You don't want (or need) a perfect conversion.

Beyond that, most npc creatures/monsters can be made from scratch.  I don't recommend player character races (like elves and dwarves) but any player who wants to have that flavour could be changeling. 

Since you are starting from scratch, you can build it any way you want.  The module should be your framework and the rest you can steal from Our World.

Maybe you can give a brief synopsis and we can help your u put things together.  Monsters, traps, etc....

It sounds fun.

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
I'm on my way to game night (different group) so I can't go into great detail just now, but I will be using the adventures in the back of the Urban Arcana setting book. The first one called Fast Food Fight Club deals with a gang of kobolds invading a fast food restaurant. Basically the PCs are the only ones equipped, mentally and physically, to stop the attack.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:02:01 AM »
I don't have that adventure, but I might be able to look it up.  In the mean-time:

1:  It is imperative that this adventure take place at a Burger King

2:
(click to show/hide)

Any suggestions welcome.

3.  There is no 3.  I need to look at the adventure first.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:33:39 PM by Taran »

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 04:04:59 AM »
The premise is that a group of kobolds hold an after hours fight club for clan/gang dominance. One crew works at the restaurant and the other group comes in to settle a score while the PCs happen to be there. Thanks for the write-up! I was researching mythological kobolds and there is a trap-making miner type that this would work for!

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 12:48:19 PM »
If you are setting this in Dresden then it's unlikely kobolds will openly be running a fast food joint - or even fighting where regular mortals can see them. 

I'd recommend a few options:

1.  Give Kobolds "Human Guise".  This way they can run the restaurant and look like regular people until they start fighting.  Then they lose their human looks.

2.  One group chases another group through a 'Way' in the Nevernever and it opens in Burger King where a fight ensues. 

3.  Two groups are looking for something at the Burger King (a door, or an item or a person) and end up fighting over it.

- Use aspects like 'Flickering lights' or 'darkness'.  Kobolds can see in the dark and it will make it easy for you to compel the PCs.  It also gives witnesses a reason to write off the weirdness.  "I could of sworn they were little lizard men...but it WAS really dark."

- It would be cool if your city was controlled by two mafia dragons.   And the two groups of kobolds were rival gangs.

For whatever reason that reminds me of the opening fight scene in Romeo and Juliette.  Maybe there are two star-crossed kobold lovers playing out their ill-fated story in the background of your game...

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
For whatever reason that reminds me of the opening fight scene in Romeo and Juliette.  Maybe there are two star-crossed kobold lovers playing out their ill-fated story in the background of your game...
You just gave me a mental image of young DiCaprio as a love-struck lizard-man, and I will never be able to repay you...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »
In d20 Urban Arcana, there is an effect produced by "Shadow" that obscures mundane mortals' perception of the supernatural. The adventure incorporates that to allow for the kobolds to be out in the open, albeit under heavy disguises. Its also late at night. Harry, in the novels, has mentioned several times that non-clued-in mortals will selectively forget or doubt their perception because the supernatural "isn't real." Would you suppose this psychological effect could account for the kobolds being in the open, or is the use of an effect like Shadow stretching Butcher's intent?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
You just gave me a mental image of young DiCaprio as a love-struck lizard-man, and I will never be able to repay you...

Thank-you!

In d20 Urban Arcana, there is an effect produced by "Shadow" that obscures mundane mortals' perception of the supernatural. The adventure incorporates that to allow for the kobolds to be out in the open, albeit under heavy disguises. Its also late at night. Harry, in the novels, has mentioned several times that non-clued-in mortals will selectively forget or doubt their perception because the supernatural "isn't real." Would you suppose this psychological effect could account for the kobolds being in the open, or is the use of an effect like Shadow stretching Butcher's intent?

As a personal thing, I hate the idea of a 'shroud', 'veil', 'mist' or whatever other authors use to cover up the Supernatural.  What I like is Butcher's explanation of how people trick themselves into disbelieving what is right front of them.  The Rational Mind cannot comprehend the Supernatural and therefore writes it off as other, mundane, things.  But only to a certain extent - which is why you have 'clued-in' mortals.  A 'Shadow' implies regular mortals can't possibly see the Supernatural for what it is - which isn't true.

That said, if the scene is sufficiently chaotic and dark, there shouldn't be any problems.  Kobolds could easily be mistaken for a gang of pre-teen hooligans!  Besides, aspects like 'darkness', 'shadows', 'blinding lights', 'loud noises'  can be used for great effect.  Allowing you to compel the players to miss targets, get lost or turned around, separated from allies, or accidentally target the wrong people.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
As a personal thing, I hate the idea of a 'shroud', 'veil', 'mist' or whatever other authors use to cover up the Supernatural.  What I like is Butcher's explanation of how people trick themselves into disbelieving what is right front of them.  The Rational Mind cannot comprehend the Supernatural and therefore writes it off as other, mundane, things.  But only to a certain extent - which is why you have 'clued-in' mortals.  A 'Shadow' implies regular mortals can't possibly see the Supernatural for what it is - which isn't true.

That said, if the scene is sufficiently chaotic and dark, there shouldn't be any problems.  Kobolds could easily be mistaken for a gang of pre-teen hooligans!  Besides, aspects like 'darkness', 'shadows', 'blinding lights', 'loud noises'  can be used for great effect.  Allowing you to compel the players to miss targets, get lost or turned around, separated from allies, or accidentally target the wrong people.
Agreed; I dont really mind the Mist/Fog mechanic, but I dont think it's how things are supposed to work in the DV, which is more applied rationalization after-the-fact than an actual magical obfuscation.

Another possibility that could work in this instance is an ongoing disguise spell anchored to the building's threshold/wards.  Especially given the kobolds craftiness and natural penchant for bunker fortifications. 

As far as catches go: 

-For an easy/mundane weapon style one, Bludgeoning damage makes sense. 
-For a more traditional one, Sunlight might fit their cave-dwelling roots, especially if you play up the modern hacker "basement dweller" idea.  You could even tweak the "fast-food restaurant" to be more of a night-owl internet cafe, which among other things gives you the excuse for darker theme-lighting rather than the over-bright fast-food fluorescents. 
-To play up the Dragon connection along with their natural burglary with a more mystical Catch, perhaps they are weak against things that have been stolen from them? The idea being that if you can take away their weapon or successfully burgle them, you've dealt a blow to their possession/horde-based Power. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »
Another possibility that could work in this instance is an ongoing disguise spell anchored to the building's threshold/wards.  Especially given the kobolds craftiness and natural penchant for bunker fortifications. 

That's cool.  I was thinking a ward might fry electronics but probably not if it's dragon magic since that isn't mortal magic.  Just a veil that gets applied to all lizard-types when they walk into the building.  Then you don't have to give them 'human guise' as a power (although, you could, if you thought it fit).

As far as catches go: 

-For an easy/mundane weapon style one, Bludgeoning damage makes sense. 
-For a more traditional one, Sunlight might fit their cave-dwelling roots, especially if you play up the modern hacker "basement dweller" idea.  You could even tweak the "fast-food restaurant" to be more of a night-owl internet cafe, which among other things gives you the excuse for darker theme-lighting rather than the over-bright fast-food fluorescents. 
-To play up the Dragon connection along with their natural burglary with a more mystical Catch, perhaps they are weak against things that have been stolen from them? The idea being that if you can take away their weapon or successfully burgle them, you've dealt a blow to their possession/horde-based Power.

Sunlight is cool and I never thought of that.  D20 kobolds get 'daylight sensitivity' so it plays well into the concept and I didn't really know how to add that into their stat-block (other than make it an aspect - which I will...editing...)

The burglary Catch is such a neat idea that I think it's worth adding in there.  If you put both Catches in, you're probably looking at a +2 or +3 catch.  Which means you can add a few powers to their stat blocks.  Speed or recovery might make sense.  Claws make sense too but I didn't give them Fists as a skill.  They could probably use Weapons to use their claws anyways - but that bends the rules slightly.  You could give them another stunt even.

An internet Cafe works too...Maybe it houses a secure server that the rival gang want to destroy/steal/hack....

Edit (and a slight digression from the main topic):
Now, I feel like Kobolds need scholarship if we are going with the computer nerd angle. (as weird as that sounds)  But it just seems like such a fun thing.  How many stunts would you need to cover all angles of computer use under burglary?

- breaking into a computer is already burglary, I think
- Hacking stunt lets you do computer 'scholarship' roles with Burglary....
-writing programs/viruses/firewalls etc...would all be covered under scholarship?  Or would that be Craftsmanship.  You know, I think it fits better under Craftsmanship, which they already have.  What are your thoughts?  'Computer Use' is a single trapping of scholarship.  1 stunt could make Computer Use a Craftsmanship Trapping.  Which means their stunt to create 'viruses' would be based on Craftsmanship and not burglary(or scholarship) and would put it at +5.  I like that.

Computer Use
Scholarship
Assuming that you aren’t the sort of person to,
say, cause technology to short out when you get
near it, the Scholarship skill includes the ability
to use and operate complex computerized or
electronic systems. This doesn’t really include
any competence at hacking, per se—Burglary
is still used to actually defeat security measures
and systems. However, Scholarship should
modify (page 214) Burglary whenever computers
are involved.