Author Topic: Help my GM with Compels!  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Diceling

• Participant
    • View Profile
Help my GM with Compels!
« on: September 07, 2016, 08:51:35 AM »
Hey Guys!

The GM in my current campaign is new to both DFRPG and Fate (but an avid reader and scholar of The Dresden Files) and he's struggling with compels: having a hard time figuring out how and when to use them.

I figured that, instead of me telling tim how to compel the aspects of my character, I'd look to you, fellow DFRPG-enarians, for suggestions, thoughts and ideas. Below is a list of my characters aspects and the stories that spawned them. I'd love it if you could come up with one or more good compels for each of them.

Oh, and by all means, if you think an Aspect is bad and/or "uncompellable", please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

High Concept: Blackstaff Wannabe

Trouble: Keeper of Bad Company
(click to show/hide)

Background: Born to be Wizard
(click to show/hide)

Rising Conflict: Lifting, no, Shredding the Veil
(click to show/hide)

The Story: Once more into the Breach
(click to show/hide)

Guest Star: White Court Meddler
(click to show/hide)

Guest Star Redux: Unwilling Mentor
(click to show/hide)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Help my GM with Compels!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »
When I make a character, I always list ways I see aspects being compelled and invoked.  It gives the GM lots of ideas so I'd recommend you do that. 

On that note:

A few of your Aspects overlap:
Blackstaff Wannabe overlaps with Born to be a Wizard
Keeper of Bad Company overlaps with White Court Meddler but the latter is more focused and the former has lots of opportunities for compels.
Unwilling Mentor overlaps with Keeper of Bad Company

Blackstaff Wannabe:  Political maneuvering, sucking up/pissing off senior council members.  Lawbreaker stuff (like being compelled NOT to use High Shift evocations for fear of killing mortals - or even being compelled not to attack at all).  You can't move up the chain if you don't tote the line.

Alternatively, maybe your character would use underhanded tactics to gain power.

Keeper of Bad Company:  Take the Trouble aspects of all the PCs.  Now they are your Troubles.  Having the people you hang out with threaten your climb to the top.

Born to be a Wizard  Political maneuvering.  Hexing stuff, arrogance/showing off,  Your Limitation (are you bad at veils? Earth Magic?)  You should build in a blind spot here.  Maybe defensive magic is not your forté.

White Court Meddler White court stuff.  Them trying to kill you.  Getting drawn into their schemes, bailing out your friend.  I feel like there should be some extra dimension added to this aspect.  What does your character think of the White Court and what does it say about his personality?  Good luck making reliable Contacts rolls when the White Court hates you.  You might get a 'Tip Off' or information that is completely wrong or a trap.

Unwilling Mentor COmplications around being a mentor and the Doom.  I think this should be more broad, somehow.

When I do aspects, I try to have at least one aspect that covers the following:
- Social/physical combat and initiative:  things that have high-stakes but short-term consequences in a specific combat.
- Personality traits and how they complicate every day stuff and the people you deal with: mid-term consequences, stuff that might cause things to escalate or have you make a decision that is less than optimum because of your ethics/morals/personality.
- Background characters, loved ones, enemies: Long term consequences.  The things that plague you constantly or show up when you need it the least.
- resources: businesses, buying stuff, workspaces:  all the things that complicate your every day workings.  You wanna do a ritual?  Do you have the resources to get the components you have?  Maybe your workspace is owned by another council member and they have a grudge.
Contacts, Resources, etc...

I'm probably missing something.  Just my 2cents
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:29:28 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »
I'll second what Taran said. And I'll add that BORN TO BE A WIZARD could make you shockingly ignorant of regular-person stuff. You don't need to know who the president is - that's mortal nonsense.

I'm not sure what to do with LIFTING, NO, SHREDDING THE VEIL and ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH. Stories seem fine but the Aspects don't suggest much to me. They could do with explaining or rewording or both.

Most of the Compels that suit your Aspects are of the "someone you know drags you into trouble" variety. So some more internal issues might be worthwhile.

Is there some personality trait that leads your character to do foolish things? Does he often make a specific type of mistake? Is he unusually incompetent at anything?

Offline Diceling

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:16:53 AM »
Thanks to both of you! I'll take it all into consideration and likely change one or two of my aspects!