Author Topic: Evocation "effects" - do offensive blocks make more sense than maneuvers?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Nerhesi

• Participant
    • View Profile
Good morning,

In my recent exploration of this game, I've been dabbling with using evocation to place aspects on targets such as "Bound Tight" or "Blind as a bat" etc...

While these aspects can be tagged or invoked, I have begun to wonder if it makes more sense to simulate them mechanically using offensive blocks.

Example 1:
An Earth Evocation that causes your feet to sink into the earth (or the earth to crudely grab your legs or whatnot)... rather than having a sticky Aspect "Bound Tight" to be tagged, invoked and possibly even compelled; would it make sense to have the Evocation actually implement a Great Block on all physical actions? Isnt' that just a normal grapple spell? So basically, no movement until they beat +X block?

Example 2:
An Air or Water or Spirit or whatever evocation used to interfere with the targets vision.  Why not just cast a block that would that block any action depending on sight with +X for example?

Thank - curious as to this working or not :)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
yes.  Sometimes blocks are much better.

Putting up a block on movement allows you to prevent someone from running away while you shoot the crap out of them.

Aspects are great because, if they're sticky, they last the whole scene but they are dependent on compels.  For instance, someone is running away, but they have a 'bound by vines' aspect on them.  You invoke it to prevent them from fleeing.  This instigates a compel which they could pay off and run away.  Blocks are great but only last 1 exchange + duration  (if it's from a spell).

For you second example, you'd probably still need to determine what action you are blocking. (attack, maneuver, movement etc..) but blocks can be pretty flexible so your GM might determine that an attack is blocked because they can't target and then determine that their movement is blocked because they can't see where they're going.   The problem with this kind of block is there are more things that can break the block.  The more things a block prevents, the more things you can do to overcome it. 

So, a block on attack can only be overcome by attacks.  A block that prevents 'everything relying on sight' could be overcome by any of those things:  sprinting, attacking, investigating etc...

Although some people would argue this kind of block would work like a veil and would, therefore, only be overcome by perception checks like investigation and alertness.  I suppose it depends on your GM.