Author Topic: Ghost, Mermaid, and Campaign Recommendations  (Read 10686 times)

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
Ghost, Mermaid, and Campaign Recommendations
« on: June 25, 2016, 02:30:58 PM »
Good Saturday Morning! I hope everyone is doing well and is not working too hard this Saturday morning! I had some questions about two characters I am DMing in a game and I would love everyones advice on the matter, including a campaign session.

As a disclaimer, my group is JUST starting off building characters and our first session is in a month, so you might have to dumb it down for me!

Firstly, one of my players wanted to play a ghost, specifically something along the lines of a Danny Phantom (yay if you remember that show!) I have two questions, one revolving his backstory and the other about what powers you would recommend he could take?

1. We already worked out his backstory to be able to get him to being a ghost.  We know for sure we wanted him to have an 'earthly item' that was not easily destroyed so he could have a presence on the planet.  In addition, we had the idea that the way he is able to have ghost powers in any way was because he was a knight, follower, or emissary of an Egyptian god. I believe it was Nepethys (sp?) In addition to the thing that would kill him if destroyed, we also figured that his Egyptian god would want something in return, so hes thinking of one thing he could never get back until hes truly dead.  Regardless, we both had an idea  but were not sure if this would work or not.

A. We thought, to add some freshness to his character and such, because hes a 'ghost' the only way for him to use those ghost powers would be to possess a dead body.  Obvious advantages and disadvantages (no same identity, but not healing for example), but would that be something that is doable? I havent found anything otherwise.  In addition, we figured that he could possess a living host but it would be for a finite amount of time, say 6 hours or something. The second idea was he can become a 'ghost' with those type of powers but someone has to 'babysit' his body.  The final idea was something along the lines of 'Xehanort' final boss from Kingdom Hearts, where his powers manifest as a 'shadow' and he can use both at the same time, with the shadow connected allowing him to use 'ghost powers' while the other is him 'disattaching' and being a true ghost but again someone would have to babysit his body.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

B. What powers would you recommend for him

2. For my character, I am running a mermaid. I pretty much have her figured out about how I would wish to play her, stats, and her curse (water turns her into a mermaid).  I had two question however.

A. For her, I figured that water turns her into a mermaid, like a significant splash or like a full body. I had a secondary idea though as well and I wasnt sure if that is doable. In the theme of mermaid, I figured she would want water, whether it be craving it or has to go swimming. Should I incorporate that as a hunger for her, in that in the early stages, she has to drink more water than usual but, if she ignores it for a long enough time, say a week, she craves going into a pool to be her mermaid self? Is that too much drama to add? How would the DM handle that mechanically?

B. Im having some trouble getting some motivation for my mermaid. For example, as a mermaid, I have some of powers including Aquatic, Inhuman Speed (fins only), and Incite Emotion: Lust. But, as a human, I feel she wont be contributing as much as I would like. Do you have any recommendations on something reasonable obviously that a mermaid could do as a human that would benefit the group? I initially thought I wanted her to be a research heavy or 'item' creating character, but the former looks to be taken by another character and the later would require being a wizard (i think.) I would want her to do something interesting that does contribute.

C. Finally, for a mermaid, what would you recommend for weapons? I figured in her human and mermaid form, there should be something that, when she transforms, doesnt weigh her down. So obviously, something like a firearm or a sword would be bad. I had initially knives, taser, and pepper spray. Any ideas? Same as a mermaid? Do mermaids have a natural defense I am not thinking of?

3. FINALLY! I had an idea that I would love everyones recommendatoin on. So far, I am planning out a session for my players. I have their first 5 done, but I need some help in forming the 6th one. In this sixth one, from the DM side, Mab is gonig to visit them due to the heightened supernatural activity, including involving a fae (one of my players character is a Fae.) To 'test' them (for story elements later revealed) I was going to have them play a game of Munchkin. So, my idea was in the first two turns, have it run normally, but then, by turn 3 or 4, stuff starts to happen. For example, the first thing to happen was a labrynth was going to appear and spearate them out. Another was the sqaures they are in turn into random effects, ala pool of water, smokescreen, etc.  Another was a minotaur would appear.  But, I wanted to make it more interesting as well as, if a player outright wins, they 'keep' whatever items they gained, or if they made it to the end and beat the final boss, they would get an item of power. But, i wanted to make it more interesing, as in for the fae to say that whoever comes in last dies, players who die in the game die in real life, or players who dont win keep a curse or something to make them want to work together, such as not using Wandering Monster cards, etc. How would you add to something like this and, in a larger retrospect, how would you incorporate elements to outwit the fae, as in nobody dies, for example?

Thank you all so much this will help with anything you think is great! :D

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Ghost, Mermaid, and Campaign Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »
Firstly, one of my players wanted to play a ghost, specifically something along the lines of a Danny Phantom (yay if you remember that show!) I have two questions, one revolving his backstory and the other about what powers you would recommend he could take?

1. We already worked out his backstory to be able to get him to being a ghost.  We know for sure we wanted him to have an 'earthly item' that was not easily destroyed so he could have a presence on the planet.  In addition, we had the idea that the way he is able to have ghost powers in any way was because he was a knight, follower, or emissary of an Egyptian god. I believe it was Nepethys (sp?) In addition to the thing that would kill him if destroyed, we also figured that his Egyptian god would want something in return, so hes thinking of one thing he could never get back until hes truly dead.  Regardless, we both had an idea  but were not sure if this would work or not.

A. We thought, to add some freshness to his character and such, because hes a 'ghost' the only way for him to use those ghost powers would be to possess a dead body.  Obvious advantages and disadvantages (no same identity, but not healing for example), but would that be something that is doable? I havent found anything otherwise.  In addition, we figured that he could possess a living host but it would be for a finite amount of time, say 6 hours or something. The second idea was he can become a 'ghost' with those type of powers but someone has to 'babysit' his body.  The final idea was something along the lines of 'Xehanort' final boss from Kingdom Hearts, where his powers manifest as a 'shadow' and he can use both at the same time, with the shadow connected allowing him to use 'ghost powers' while the other is him 'disattaching' and being a true ghost but again someone would have to babysit his body.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

If you go with dead bodies:
Take living dead.  Take an aspect regarding possession, so that you can be compelled to lose your body, or invoke it to take over others.  Then take a bunch of powers and your 'ghost form' is just the fluff of how you go from one body to another.  If you want, take Spirit Form and Human Form.  Attach Living Dead and a bunch of other powers to your Human form to represent your possession of a dead body.

Possessing living people:
It's complicated and may limit you.  Once again you can just take an aspect to reflect that you are a spirit in someone else's body and let the GM compel you to be kicked out. 

Theogony probably has advice regarding this character build

For the baby-sitting thing.  I don't really know.  maybe that can be the catch to your toughness powers.  If your body is injured while it is unattended, it takes damage?

2. For my character, I am running a mermaid. I pretty much have her figured out about how I would wish to play her, stats, and her curse (water turns her into a mermaid).  I had two question however.

A. For her, I figured that water turns her into a mermaid, like a significant splash or like a full body. I had a secondary idea though as well and I wasnt sure if that is doable. In the theme of mermaid, I figured she would want water, whether it be craving it or has to go swimming. Should I incorporate that as a hunger for her, in that in the early stages, she has to drink more water than usual but, if she ignores it for a long enough time, say a week, she craves going into a pool to be her mermaid self? Is that too much drama to add? How would the DM handle that mechanically?

I think compels should take care of it fairly well.  With an appropriate aspect (cursed mermaid) the GM can just compel you to go soak in water...whether you need it or not.  The irresistible call of the ocean.  Or get splashed at an inappropriate time or whatever.

If you wanted, you could require salt water for some of your powers to work.  So, if you have a recovery power, it doesn't work until you soak in salt water.   So, Hunger would represent the fact that you are slowly losing your abilities and getting injured until you have time to soak in water.   You could even tie some powers to a limitation.  You can only recover powers when in salt water.

So, maybe, attach toughness/recovery to Hunger...I'm not sure what else...

C. Finally, for a mermaid, what would you recommend for weapons? I figured in her human and mermaid form, there should be something that, when she transforms, doesnt weigh her down. So obviously, something like a firearm or a sword would be bad. I had initially knives, taser, and pepper spray. Any ideas? Same as a mermaid? Do mermaids have a natural defense I am not thinking of?

I think of spears and tridents for mermaids.  Who needs weapons when you have incite lust?  Take Incite Potent Effect and do mental damage instead. 

B. Im having some trouble getting some motivation for my mermaid. For example, as a mermaid, I have some of powers including Aquatic, Inhuman Speed (fins only), and Incite Emotion: Lust. But, as a human, I feel she wont be contributing as much as I would like. Do you have any recommendations on something reasonable obviously that a mermaid could do as a human that would benefit the group? I initially thought I wanted her to be a research heavy or 'item' creating character, but the former looks to be taken by another character and the later would require being a wizard (i think.) I would want her to do something interesting that does contribute.

I'll copy/paste my earlier advice from another thread:

In human form, She can have  beast senses(echo-location and the ability to aquatic creatures (think Aquaman).  with a high Investigation/Alertness, she'd be very useful.

Instead of powers, in human form, you could deck her out with stunts so she can fill a roll that the others can't (social/Investigative)
Maybe even give her a recovery power outside of her mermaid form.

Also, maybe getting wet is enough for her to change?

Give her Incite Emotion (like a siren) which would boost her social prowess.

In mermaid form: aquatic, speed, toughness(scales)(with a +3 catch if they're also taking recovery), possibly claws. (-3 or 4 refresh, which is -1 or 2 after human form).  Therefore, most of her powers would be in her human form.  Which would probably be the most useful.

TLDR:  Make her human form a social power house.  Especially with incite lust. High deceit/rapport.  The mermaid form will probably get less use, so limit how much refresh you take there.  Any mermaid powers that can be used in both forms (like beast senses) are better than ones that can only be used in mermaid form.
[/quote]

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 02:18:21 PM »
1. We already worked out his backstory to be able to get him to being a ghost.

Spirit Form is a must. I'm not too fond of the canon version, though, so I'd suggest this homebrew version.

I'd also suggest homebrew for inhabiting corpses and possessing living bodies, but Taran's approaches could work.

In the theme of mermaid, I figured she would want water, whether it be craving it or has to go swimming. Should I incorporate that as a hunger for her, in that in the early stages, she has to drink more water than usual but, if she ignores it for a long enough time, say a week, she craves going into a pool to be her mermaid self? Is that too much drama to add? How would the DM handle that mechanically?

B. Im having some trouble getting some motivation for my mermaid. For example, as a mermaid, I have some of powers including Aquatic, Inhuman Speed (fins only), and Incite Emotion: Lust. But, as a human, I feel she wont be contributing as much as I would like. Do you have any recommendations on something reasonable obviously that a mermaid could do as a human that would benefit the group?

C. Finally, for a mermaid, what would you recommend for weapons?

I don't recommend using the hunger mechanics, they're problematic. Better just to use Compels.

Incite Lust could work in human form too. Take the upgrade that lets you attack with it and you'll be fine without carrying any kind of weapon.

3. FINALLY! I had an idea that I would love everyones recommendatoin on. So far, I am planning out a session for my players. I have their first 5 done, but I need some help in forming the 6th one...

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It seems unlikely that your plans will remain intact that long.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
Spirit Form is a must. I'm not too fond of the canon version, though, so I'd suggest this homebrew version.

I'd also suggest homebrew for inhabiting corpses and possessing living bodies, but Taran's approaches could work.

I don't recommend using the hunger mechanics, they're problematic. Better just to use Compels.

Incite Lust could work in human form too. Take the upgrade that lets you attack with it and you'll be fine without carrying any kind of weapon.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It seems unlikely that your plans will remain intact that long.

Which is Taran's version?  In addition, why would you not use hunger? Is that nickel and diming too much for character?

Now, this is where I do need it more explained, but how could I use incite lust as a weapon? I know mental attacks are a thing too, but what if something is too dumb to get a mental attack?

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »

I think of spears and tridents for mermaids.  Who needs weapons when you have incite lust?  Take Incite Potent Effect and do mental damage instead. 

How would I incorporate a trident that would be easy to carry around? Would it need to be an item of power? Not like, Posidens Trident,but something that changes appearance when used in a mermaid form?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
If you are going to spend refresh to make a weapon that can shrink and grow, the. You might as well spend refresh on incite potent emotion instead.  Is there a reason you want a physical weapon?   Mental attacks are way more powerful.

If you want a shrinking trident, make it a pendant that turns into a trident.   Only give yourself a +1 rebait.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »
If you are going to spend refresh to make a weapon that can shrink and grow, the. You might as well spend refresh on incite potent emotion instead.  Is there a reason you want a physical weapon?   Mental attacks are way more powerful.

If you want a shrinking trident, make it a pendant that turns into a trident.   Only give yourself a +1 rebait.

Im more thinking long terms, such as when something is a mindless creature and isnt affected by mental attacks. Unless I am mistaken?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »
I suppose.  The question you have to ask is:  is the refresh investment and skill investment worth rare circumstances.

If you're playing in a game with lots of zombies, then it's probably worth it(since it'll come up often).  If not, it might rarely get used.

To be effective in a fight with a weapon, you need to have your weapons skill at 3 or 4 (in a submerged game), otherwise, it's kind of useless in a fight.  So which skill are you going to drop to make room for that skill?  You'll probably want to invest a few refresh into a weapon too...maybe a stunt or an IoP.

On the other hand, in a fight against an opponent that's immune to mental attacks, you can use athletics or rapport to do maneuvers to create aspects for your allies to tag.   Just because you can't use a weapon, it doesn't mean you're completely useless.

But that's just my playing style.  I really like to focus.  I like to cover all my bases but I like being specialized.

Why don't you post what you have? 

If you don't want a socially oriented character, you could take a powerful IoP that can be used in human form and be a fighter-type in both forms.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
I suppose.  The question you have to ask is:  is the refresh investment and skill investment worth rare circumstances.

If you're playing in a game with lots of zombies, then it's probably worth it(since it'll come up often).  If not, it might rarely get used.

To be effective in a fight with a weapon, you need to have your weapons skill at 3 or 4 (in a submerged game), otherwise, it's kind of useless in a fight.  So which skill are you going to drop to make room for that skill?  You'll probably want to invest a few refresh into a weapon too...maybe a stunt or an IoP.

On the other hand, in a fight against an opponent that's immune to mental attacks, you can use athletics or rapport to do maneuvers to create aspects for your allies to tag.   Just because you can't use a weapon, it doesn't mean you're completely useless.

But that's just my playing style.  I really like to focus.  I like to cover all my bases but I like being specialized.

Why don't you post what you have? 

If you don't want a socially oriented character, you could take a powerful IoP that can be used in human form and be a fighter-type in both forms.

I can start posting what I have once all players and such finalize their characters, which shouldnt be too long :)

With that said, one other question arose, which may answer too whether I would want a weapon or not. Is it possible that, in the mechanics system, a human  could do some wizardry magic without being a wizard? I keep on thinking like creating a circle, enchanting items, etc. Im trying my best to stay away from being a wizard, but simple magical items, like potions, enchanted one time use items, etc. Is that just limited to wizards? And if not, how would I incorporate them?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:36:45 PM »
Which is Taran's version?

This:

If you go with dead bodies:
Take living dead.  Take an aspect regarding possession, so that you can be compelled to lose your body, or invoke it to take over others.  Then take a bunch of powers and your 'ghost form' is just the fluff of how you go from one body to another.  If you want, take Spirit Form and Human Form.  Attach Living Dead and a bunch of other powers to your Human form to represent your possession of a dead body.

Possessing living people:
It's complicated and may limit you.  Once again you can just take an aspect to reflect that you are a spirit in someone else's body and let the GM compel you to be kicked out.

In addition, why would you not use hunger? Is that nickel and diming too much for character?

I don't like Feeding Dependency. It's unclearly written, it can be unbalanced in either direction depending on character build, and I haven't been impressed with the ways it shapes the story (or fails to do so) in the games I've used it in.

Now, this is where I do need it more explained, but how could I use incite lust as a weapon? I know mental attacks are a thing too, but what if something is too dumb to get a mental attack?

Then your attack doesn't work. Not the end of the world.

With that said, one other question arose, which may answer too whether I would want a weapon or not. Is it possible that, in the mechanics system, a human  could do some wizardry magic without being a wizard? I keep on thinking like creating a circle, enchanting items, etc. Im trying my best to stay away from being a wizard, but simple magical items, like potions, enchanted one time use items, etc. Is that just limited to wizards? And if not, how would I incorporate them?

If you want to enchant items, buy some form of Thaumaturgy. Either the real thing or Ritual (Crafting).

The often-ignored Common Ritual trapping of Lore is good for stuff like making a circle, but how it works is up to you and your GM.

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »
This:

I don't like Feeding Dependency. It's unclearly written, it can be unbalanced in either direction depending on character build, and I haven't been impressed with the ways it shapes the story (or fails to do so) in the games I've used it in.

Then your attack doesn't work. Not the end of the world.

If you want to enchant items, buy some form of Thaumaturgy. Either the real thing or Ritual (Crafting).

The often-ignored Common Ritual trapping of Lore is good for stuff like making a circle, but how it works is up to you and your GM.

Is there a difference between Thaumaturgy and Ritual (Crafting)? And, from what I was reading in the book, either would make me a wizard. Is there a way around that or most likely not?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 11:32:02 PM »
Ritual is the small, focused version of thaumaturgy that only allows you to do something thaumaturgic in a narrow field (for example crafting, but it can be other areas as well).

The templates that have access to the ritual power are the focused practitioner and the sorcerer. The wizard has to take full Thaumaturgy. However, you don't have to stay with the templates, they are more like guidelines for easy play. If something doesn't fit the templates but still makes sense, build the character without a template.

What kind of potions do you want to do? If they are all supposed to fit in a very narrow field, there might be other ways to do them as well. Until then, my post in the kitchen Witch thread might help:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,47900.msg2236252.html#msg2236252
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Razgrizi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 03:20:17 AM »
Ritual is the small, focused version of thaumaturgy that only allows you to do something thaumaturgic in a narrow field (for example crafting, but it can be other areas as well).

The templates that have access to the ritual power are the focused practitioner and the sorcerer. The wizard has to take full Thaumaturgy. However, you don't have to stay with the templates, they are more like guidelines for easy play. If something doesn't fit the templates but still makes sense, build the character without a template.

What kind of potions do you want to do? If they are all supposed to fit in a very narrow field, there might be other ways to do them as well. Until then, my post in the kitchen Witch thread might help:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,47900.msg2236252.html#msg2236252

I was thinking of doing potions that could give one time enchantments to items for one time usage. I was thinking of wanting to make my mermaid's human side more along making potions like from Harry Potter. Think things that she cant make until she gathers certain ingredients, which would come from along from beating supernatural creatures or exploring certain parts of the Nevernever. In addition, I was thinking of making her MAYBE something like either a Hunter from Supernatural (a very inexperienced one) or a Spirit Detective from Yu Yu Hakusho for her expertise in creatures and potions.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 03:42:06 AM »
there's a custom power that let's you use potions...bag of Tricks, I think?

https://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Bag+Of+Tricks

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »
If you want to have trouble gathering ingredients for your potions, you should take a related Aspect that can be Compelled. Because by default, all that stuff is abstracted away.

Is there a difference between Thaumaturgy and Ritual (Crafting)? And, from what I was reading in the book, either would make me a wizard. Is there a way around that or most likely not?

Neither will make you a wizard, you need a whole bunch of other powers for that. But anyone who can make their own potions is a spellcaster.

As Haru said, Thaumaturgy does everything Ritual does and more.