Author Topic: Code Duello help  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Camael

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Code Duello help
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:11:24 AM »
I'm running a game set in London during the war with red court.
The warden of the party has just challenged the red court sorceror npc to a duel. So far so good.
Jack the Ripper (powerful white court) is officiating in a graveyard with a zombie infestation (they only discovered this after agreeing to the location).
The problem is they chose Will as the contest.
Mordite doesn't seem to fit the characters, or really seem very theatrical.
Has anyone done this before or does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable contest? Also any ideas for mechanics,  I'm thinking a mental contest with discipline vs conviction but something with more flavour would be better.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Code Duello help
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 01:19:58 AM »
A two-bladed knife enchanted to respond to will.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 01:47:22 AM »
Sit naked on these metal chairs while we stoke a fire beneath you. First one to leave their chair, flinch, or scream in pain, loses.

"But wait! The vampire has superhuman toughness and healing abilities! This is totally not a fair contest of will!"

"Jack the Ripper, vampire referee, says it's fair."

Mechanically, it's an escalating series of physical attacks against Endurance. Whenever you take stress, you've gotta beat twice that amount of stress with a Discipline roll to avoid flinching and losing.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:06:25 AM »
First one to leave the graveyard loses, but you're not allowed to attack each other or the zombies.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Camael

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:05:11 AM »
Thank you so much.
I love the locked in with zombies idea; I'm not sure if the count down for sunrise is a good or bad thing which probably give my players room to take advantage if they're smart.
I might put them in chairs to prevent them running away. I might also let them use magic to defend from zombies, because eventually they'll need to choose between a mental consequence from casting or a physical from being eaten :)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »
I like the idea of multiple conflicts happening simultaneously.

Have them Soul Gaze, but instead of just a look, it's actually a mental conflict where they use Mental/social skills to attack maneuver and defend. 

Each exchange is a couple of exchanges of real, physical time.

Meanwhile, have the rest of the party forced to fight the zombies, defending the two TOTALLY HELPLESS contestants in the mental conflict.

At any time, they can end the mental conflict and help against the zombies, but that means they have to concede the fight to their enemy.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »
Thank you so much.
I love the locked in with zombies idea; I'm not sure if the count down for sunrise is a good or bad thing which probably give my players room to take advantage if they're smart.
I might put them in chairs to prevent them running away. I might also let them use magic to defend from zombies, because eventually they'll need to choose between a mental consequence from casting or a physical from being eaten :)
It seems like it might be more exciting to let them move around to try to avoid or hide from the zombies.  They could do maneuvers to try to expose the other or make the zombies focus on them.  Make allies have to stay outside the fence, but they can try to help out without actually entering the graveyard or directly attacking anyone, e.g. walls of fire to create zone borders or pits for zombies to get trapped in.  Depending on when the contest starts, if the warden can make it to sunrise, he wins.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill