Author Topic: Knights of the cross  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Knights of the cross
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »
Who knows.  There are many, many powers she could have acquired that may not be spellcasting:

Incite emotion and Telepathy are just two that I can think of off the top of my head.  She may have sponsored magic which may or may not be subject to the Laws of Magic.

Maybe she's a shape-shifter pretending to be Erin and your character doesn't know.  But if that's the case, then there's something else going on that your character has to discover.  You should take The Sight at your next milestone.  Re-skin it so that it's a holy power granted to you to pierce deceptions and cut through lies.  You just need High Lore to interpret the visions and High discipline to keep your brain from getting fried.  A stunt to use conviction to defend against the Sight would also work.  But that's 2 refresh...

You could try goading her into a soul-gaze.  if she's really a Wizard, you should be able to do that.  Look her straight in the eye the next time you're asking for a straight answer ;)  Offer her a FP on her high concept to get her into a Soulgaze.  (you probably want to be prepared though...lots of mental maneuvers to boost your rolls when you do the Soulgaze.)

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
In discussing "did she use Incite Emotion or Magic" it's very very easy to lose track of one thing.

In my opinion, what exact power is used should not matter. What matters is what is used in the story.

For example:
Breath Weapon is not Magic, normally.

However, I might very well have a Wizard that has so honed his Fire-evocation that he can send minor blasts of magic effortlessly. To represent this, I negotiate with my GM to purchase Breath Weapon, aim it with Discipline instead of Weapons and describe it as launching small fireballs.

Have I broken the first law if I kill someone with this? You betcha! Because in the story I used magic. If using the Lawbreaker power out of the book, we'd have to work out how it interacts with my Breath Weapon attacks, but the law has been broken no matter what.

In the same vein, I can definitely see a Sorcerer or such specializing in mind-magic picking up Incite Emotion in the same way, to mechanically handle a hyper-specialization in magic that Evocation doesn't do justice to.
In that case? Heck yeah Lawbreaker! Of course, I'd probably require the relevant Lawbreaker before buying Incite Emotion in such a case because that's a field of magic where you really can't become that good at it without breaking the Laws along the way.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
Agreed.  My point wasn't specifically which power but what method was she using to deliver the attack.  If it was 'magic', regardless the mechanic, then she is a Lawbreaker. The GM seems to be implying that she may not be using magic.  Or is even human for that matter.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »
Which is of course a completely valid plot development!

Below is all speculation possible in character:
A mortal using magic to do stuff like that is breaking the law, and will get pretty bent after a while.
That not happening indicates one of two things: Either she is not using magic (then what the heck is she using?) or she is not Mortal (If so, what the heck is she!?)

Juicy, juicy mystery and paranoia! :D