Author Topic: Nevernever question  (Read 1680 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Nevernever question
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
Can wizards with elements to their Thaumaturgy utilize them in the Nevernever, given its magical nature?  Chlormancers, geomancers and the like?  Does Water magic Plant Magic and the like still work?  Fire magic and force magic seem to work just fine.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Nevernever question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
They can use their magic right up until the point where they accept a Compel to the contrary, just the same as the guy carrying the machine gun and bandolier of grenades.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
I think if there was a relevant thaumaturgy link to said element, it should all work, unless it can not for some reason.
Vae Victus

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:33:24 AM »
In-Universe, the Nevernever is basically a realm of magic. It powers up magical spells and makes casting them easier, so yeah, a Wizard would be able to do more than he could normally while he was in the Nevernever.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 05:03:08 AM »
Element magic in the DV doesn't necessarily require you have a source of that element. Harry can just conjure fire "out of thin air" - though he can also use fire magic to move existing heat around (freezing the lake surface in WN by creating fire).

Also, a lot of the elemental magic doesn't necessarily involve manipulating the physical 'stuff' at all. Carlos uses water magic to shoot green beams of disintegration. Harry uses earth magic to crush things with massive gravity, and according to YS you can use earth magic for lightning (electromagnetism) too. Elaine's hyperawareness defense may be air magic (YS lists it as "spirit or air"; air is tied to knowledge in DV, that's why Bob's called an "air spirit" as well as a spirit of intellect).

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
Vultur is right. "element" doesn't have to mean the four classical elements, or even anything close to them. As a matter of fact, esoteric elementalists are one of my favorite character types. If you want examples of nontraditional elements, a good place to go would be the Sponsored Magic master thread.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.