Author Topic: Any Tips/Tricks for the DFRPG newbie?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Faultline74

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Any Tips/Tricks for the DFRPG newbie?
« on: January 31, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
'lo all,

I'm looking into running DFRPG for the first time and am looking for any tips/tricks for myself and my players, I would appreciate it immensely if you would share any that you had.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Any Tips/Tricks for the DFRPG newbie?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »
Are you new to gaming in general or just DFRPG?  Have you ever GM'd before?  What games have you played?

For DFRPG

- Do the City Creation phase and have your players make locations and NPC's!
- Always keep a list of Aspect (scene, character/NPC, City aspects)  Use them!
- Compel a lot.  It's what makes the game fun and it will get the players using their FP's more.
- Use character aspects when thinking up adventures
- Don't plan too much and let the players help guide the adventure and the story
- Be prepared:  If you do city creation, this'll be easier.  It's always good to have locations ready with a short list of aspects.  Same with NPC's.  They don't have to be fully written up - but just an outline.  This is especially important if you're not the kind of person who thinks on their feet very quickly (like me).
- When that fails, Be prepared to wing it.  ;)

Unlike some rpg's DFRPG is a collaboration between the players and GM, so you should run the game with that in mind.

That's all pretty generic.  Do you have any specific questions?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
As far as nuts and bolts go, for appropriate challenge levels, totally ignore the book's refresh-based approach, and work with effective skill rankings instead (effective meaning what they actually roll--so someone with a 3 in Athletics and Inhuman Speed is really rolling from 4, etc.).

If you want the opposition to be a quick speedbump, put their relevant skills one or two steps below the players' (so, mooks should have Fists/Guns/Weapons rolls of 2 or 3 if your players have them at 4). If you want it to be a genuine challenge, make it about even. If you want it to be really hard for the players, one or two steps above, so they'll be forced to maneuver and invoke.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
As far as nuts and bolts go, for appropriate challenge levels, totally ignore the book's refresh-based approach, and work with effective skill rankings instead (effective meaning what they actually roll--so someone with a 3 in Athletics and Inhuman Speed is really rolling from 4, etc.).

If you want the opposition to be a quick speedbump, put their relevant skills one or two steps below the players' (so, mooks should have Fists/Guns/Weapons rolls of 2 or 3 if your players have them at 4). If you want it to be a genuine challenge, make it about even. If you want it to be really hard for the players, one or two steps above, so they'll be forced to maneuver and invoke.

I've started using this advice and it works well.

Offline Faultline74

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
Are you new to gaming in general or just DFRPG?  Have you ever GM'd before?  What games have you played?

Good Questions  :) I should have stated my familiarity with RPG's to provide a base but was in a hurry to leave for work when I posted that, so to answer your questions: I'm Just new to DFRPG and the Fate system in general. I'm quite familiar with GM'ing. Shadowrun, D&D 3.5, WoD, and Rifts are the systems that I've played the most.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 04:57:29 PM »
Seriously, seriously, DO NOT SKIP the shared character and city creation steps.  It really adds to the game.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 05:53:25 PM »

I'll definitely be keeping this in mind for the next game I run.

Anyone else think we could do with a sticky Newbie Tips thread?
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »
I'll second what Mr. Death said.

Also...

Make sure you and your group agree on how Feeding Dependency is meant to work. Or just rewrite/ban the Power.

Thaumaturgy is as powerful as the GM lets it be. You might have to work to keep it in check, but if you and your group are on the same page regarding its power level you should be fine.

A character who uses enchanted items to their full potential can be really incredibly powerful. Maybe too powerful for your game, so be aware.

Avoid using Powers from Our World.

Take the example spells with a grain of salt.

Don't allow mental Evocation attacks. The rules are ambiguous, but seriously it's not a good idea to let them happen.

Similarly, you should probably interpret the +2 bonus from Incite Emotion as not applying to attacks.

Offline Deimos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:40:57 AM »
Just one.
PATIENCE
Is not an easy game to handle, but it`ll be rewarding at the end.