Author Topic: Question on Stunts  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Verse

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Question on Stunts
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
I have a quick question on stunts. I saw in the book that each stunt cost -1 refresh. I swear I saw somewhere in the book that you get 2 stunts per refresh do to them not being as powerful as powers. I looked at the premade characters in the back and got more confused. Some chars like Jim Flanagan on page 376 has 5 stunts... but only a -3 refresh. Both premade on 377 have the same thing. 4 stunts each with a total of -2 refresh.

Then on 379 the two priests match the rules. One has 3 stunts and Bless this House at a -4, and the other has 2 stunts and -3 of powers for a total of -5 refresh.

So I am confused. If it because the cops have no powers and thus 100% pure mortal? Or am I missing something all together.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Stunts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
You get +2 refresh if you're a "Pure Mortal" with no powers.  Stunts are one refresh each.  Nowhere in the book does it say that you get 2 stunts per refresh, so you must have misread/misremembered something.  This is why characters like Jim Flanagan have -3 refresh and 5 stunts, he doesn't have any powers so he gets 2 free refresh.

The two priests match the rules because they have powers.  They do not get the bonus refresh because they are no longer "Pure Mortal".

See YS73 for Pure Mortal template.
See YS146 for Mortal Stunts.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
As a pure mortal, you get +2 Refresh (Your Story page 73). This is to represent the whole free will vs. power thing that's present in the Dresden Verse, and free will is a big part of what makes a human.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Verse

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
Got ya. That makes sense. That was what was bothering me. I haven't played the game in a few years and just picked it back up. My head must have remembered the Mortal +2 refresh as 2 Mortal Stunts per refresh. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Offline MadAlchemist

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
You also might be thinking of the basic stunt descriptions saying stunts generally have two shifts of effect, unless it's particularly common in usage or an attack.